Test WIIM pro+ with different power supplies

Here we go again power supply lps vs switching supply. ASR said no difference but users with different hearing said there was difference. Hearing translate by brain vs measurements. Measurements first.
Asr is not an authority. They are measurement biased freaks. Experience first. Measurements are a tool, not an end.

A naïve question. In fact, how good is human hearing?🤔

At the very least, I think that a high-performance microphone can hear sounds that humans can't hear.

A naïve question. In fact, how good is human hearing?🤔

At the very least, I think that a high-performance microphone can hear sounds that humans can't hear.
May be you could replace "hear" in the microphone part with "recording"? 😉😉
But you are right.

Last edited:
Asr is not an authority. They are measurement biased freaks. Experience first. Measurements are a tool, not an end.

If a PSU provides unstable voltage, not enought current, high noise, deviations in the supply, and chucks noise back on the circuit this can be measured and tested for. In far more repeatable, accurate method without user bias. The results are able to be printed out, and others are able to peer review test them also.

You listening to it will none of those, it would be like "this £2000 fuse in the plug made it sound much better after I spent my hard earned money on this, so it must do something"

If a PSU provides unstable voltage, not enought current, high noise, deviations in the supply, and chucks noise back on the circuit this can be measured and tested for. In far more repeatable, accurate method without user bias. The results are able to be printed out, and others are able to peer review test them also.

You listening to it will none of those, it would be like "this £2000 fuse in the plug made it sound much better after I spent my hard earned money on this, so it must do something"
It is a very old trick to misrepresent my argument. I said measurement was a tool, not that it does not matter.

When an audio designer or speaker for that matter, they all use computer modeling and when produce they measure them. All these measurements devices serve them as their building block. Now, it may have measured well but the question will every ear like super clean, neutral and polite sound? I’m one of them doesn’t like neutral and polite sound and like my sound to be spice on certain frequency to be boost and that’s where eq in wiim I used. Everyone has its own preference and there is no right or wrong to be criticized by others. Everyone knows tube amp has high distortion yet I like how tube sounds. Let your ear be the final judgement.

There two types of people based on asr straight measurements or subjective from other reviewer like cheap audioman or Andrew Robinson just to name a few.

When an audio designer or speaker for that matter, they all use computer modeling and when produce they measure them. All these measurements devices serve them as their building block. Now, it may have measured well but the question will every ear like super clean, neutral and polite sound? I’m one of them doesn’t like neutral and polite sound and like my sound to be spice on certain frequency to be boost and that’s where eq in wiim I used. Everyone has its own preference and there is no right or wrong to be criticized by others. Everyone knows tube amp has high distortion yet I like how tube sounds. Let your ear be the final judgement.
Yes, you're right.

I like a sound that has a punch in the low frequencies and just a little bit of brightness in the high frequencies.

And, flat and accurate audio has the advantage of being easier to adjust than non-flat audio.😊

Last edited:
There two types of people based on asr straight measurements or subjective from other reviewer like cheap audioman or Andrew Robinson just to name a few.
You are right! But even me would look for some (!) ASR people first than to your choice of two of the most affiliating "reviewers" one can find. And so I would add a third type of users. Those who only rely on their own. Read the specs, know the companies history and listen, listen, listen. Experience first 😉.
This reviewing circus on whatever platforms can be fun (and I look very close) because one can sort by oneself what kind of types one likes. The homemade look from the Audioman, the chaotic clips from the Maniac, the Hollywood videos from Robinson, the dull, teacher like Dutchman (I like him anyway 😉), JDs lifestyle productions or others.

Last edited:
Given the definition of high fidelity ‘the reproduction of sound with little distortion, giving a result very similar to the original’, maybe those who do not like a clean and neutral sound should admit that they are not interested in hi-fi.

Given the definition of high fidelity ‘the reproduction of sound with little distortion, giving a result very similar to the original’, maybe those who do not like a clean and neutral sound should admit that they are not interested in hi-fi.
This is exactly what I think as an old fashioned stereo lover and user. Measurements are very important, but this belongs in the hands of the developing engineers. The overrating of the (very often but not always) well meant work from people like the ASR community can give a hint for people who decide to go this way. But it is not only saving. All the on the market successfully working companies are no idiots and quite sure they made their home work.
And I still have and will have my problems with all this EQ stuff. But thats another issue. True fidelity should be the word.

it's always very relative...or else go to concerts more ....
you shouldn't take everything too seriously..that's all..
;-)

Last edited:
it's always very relative...or else go to concerts more ....
you shouldn't take everything too seriously..that's all..
;-)
Regarding concerts 😉 We will be in Leer (small town, no, very small town in Northern Germany) 22.11.2023 for a Muff Potter gig.

Back