Test WIIM pro+ with different power supplies

Maybe I'm not interested in the definition of hi-fi in the first place. I just want to surround myself with toys that I enjoy. 😄
The relaxed attitude of a Dachshund owner 😂.
I blame myself for being so less tolerant in special cases. Should be better with increasing age. Seems to be opposite in my case. But the part with the toys is absolutely my way.

I can attest that the PSU can make a huge difference. It did with my Chromecast audios, unexpectedly. But I wasn't buying audiophile PSUs.

4 years ago, wanting fewer wall warts and better cable organization, I tried connecting two sets of 6 CCAs each to a 6-port USB charging station made by Amazon under the AmazonBasics brand, and no longer available for sale, but my order history shows each station cost $27.99.

There was horrible hiss and ground loop noise in some of the CCAs, which I could never resolve, except by switching back to 6 individual USB power supplies.

Maybe an electrical engineer can explain to me why this happened ?

I still have those two 6-port charging stations. Maybe I'll try them with the WiiM Pro Plus also after I replace those 12 CCAs with 12 Wim Pro Plus (1 done, 11 to go).

I can attest that the PSU can make a huge difference. It did with my Chromecast audios, unexpectedly. But I wasn't buying audiophile PSUs.

4 years ago, wanting fewer wall warts and better cable organization, I tried connecting two sets of 6 CCAs each to a 6-port USB charging station made by Amazon under the AmazonBasics brand, and no longer available for sale, but my order history shows each station cost $27.99.

There was horrible hiss and ground loop noise in some of the CCAs, which I could never resolve, except by switching back to 6 individual USB power supplies.

Maybe an electrical engineer can explain to me why this happened ?

I still have those two 6-port charging stations. Maybe I'll try them with the WiiM Pro Plus also after I replace those 12 CCAs with 12 Wim Pro Plus (1 done, 11 to go).
I don't think that proves the difference in sound quality between a "cleaner lower-cost PSU" and a "more expensive and more cleaner PSU". 🙂

It is conceivable that a power supply of extremely poor quality, such as the USB of a PC, may degrade the sound quality.

I don't think that proves the difference in sound quality between a "cleaner lower-cost PSU" and a "more expensive and more cleaner PSU". 🙂

It is conceivable that a power supply of extremely poor quality, such as the USB of a PC, may degrade the sound quality.
No, it doesn't prove more expensive PSUs could be better. There are usually diminishing returns, and the audio quality probably plateaus at some level.

My experiment shows what can happen with a low-quality PSU though - it can definitely make the audio worse.

I personally think the PSU that came with the WiiM Pro Plus is fine. I doubt I could hear the difference between two PSUs other than when one is obviously faulty.

No, it doesn't prove more expensive PSUs could be better. There are usually diminishing returns, and the audio quality probably plateaus at some level.

My experiment shows what can happen with a low-quality PSU though - it can definitely make the audio worse.

I personally think the PSU that came with the WiiM Pro Plus is fine. I doubt I could hear the difference between two PSUs other than when one is obviously faulty.
Yes. The case you posted was probably not caused by the PSU, but by connecting multiple devices to one PSU. Although I can't explain its cause.

You may have already read this, but this test was interesting. 😊

I added this video review here cos guy tested with Wiim supplied power supply and a LPS (Allo Shanti 12.30 minutes in). As a streamer, using digital output, SQ matches the Eversolo DMP-A6. Praise indeed!

YouTube Wiim Pro Plus Review

Rest of review interesting too......

Everything is related to everything...as Alexander von Humboldt once said.
All of us hear and feel different. What can be heard can be measured, they say. But no one till today told me what parameters make "the sound" especially for my ears.
What amuses me most is this "audiophile" gibberish. But they earn their living with that. Or at least they try to do so 😉
And our Serbian fried is at least a friendly one.

I like the Serbian dude.....he is very expressive especially when you consider he is not reviewing in his native language.

I was hoping you could tell me what measurement gives the widest soundstage?

Sorry, I am the absolute wrong person for such a question. My "sound creating" gear is the analog side. Streaming is easy and fun, but my most unimportant source. Could look different because my presence here is quite day filling, but that has other reasons and is not without a compensation 😉
Soundstage here is made by amps, speakers, turntables, cartridges and vinyl. Or good old CDs.

Sorry, I am the absolute wrong person for such a question. My "sound creating" gear is the analog side. Streaming is easy and fun, but my most unimportant source. Could look different because my presence here is quite day filling, but that has other reasons and is not without a compensation 😉
Soundstage here is made by amps, speakers, turntables, cartridges and vinyl. Or good old CDs.
Achim....my request was a joke....

I too am raised on vinyl. I think one thing vinyl teaches us is how to listen. There are so many tweaks, cartridges, phono stages etc that there can be no argument about differences in sound! In fact, I took it a stage further and developed my own turntable & arm simply because I was not satisfied with what was commercially available. The price & quality of current day analogue equipment shocks me.....

I looked at everything I could find and decided to spend a little and try the iFi ipower2 PS, $69, cheap way to see if a noticeable difference and I have VERY experienced ears and many years ago was a tech on super intense electronics.
I have tuned critical military gear by ear when it would not perform correctly using the manual tuning specs so I am very open minded about trying a certain level of options, iust not super expensive ones. I also built all my own audio and power cables for a very long time, cheap, effective...And I have two 20 amp double shielded power lines just for my audio system, DIY of course, cheap insurance against noise...

I looked at everything I could find and decided to spend a little and try the iFi ipower2 PS, $69, cheap way to see if a noticeable difference and I have VERY experienced ears and many years ago was a tech on super intense electronics.
I have tuned critical military gear by ear when it would not perform correctly using the manual tuning specs so I am very open minded about trying a certain level of options, iust not super expensive ones. I also built all my own audio and power cables for a very long time, cheap, effective...And I have two 20 amp double shielded power lines just for my audio system, DIY of course, cheap insurance against noise...
Did the ifi PS make any difference? Were you using digital output from your WiiM?

I think for those users saying there’s a difference should post an ap before and after the new power supply. Some say how can 1 and 0 can be cleaned on lps while other swear that there’s difference. Everyone is entitled on their opinion and no reason to bash them because you don’t believe on it.

I just ordered the PS yesterday so it will be a few days before I receive it. I am one to believe there can be a difference so willing to try it but not at crazy cost levels, that includes interconnects, power cables, etc.....optimized but not super expensive either as at that point it seems to start to become differences but not likely better, just a change in sound. Power cords mainly to allow plenty of current flow for demanding peaks.

A lot of things being made do not have great power filtering as part of the design, many simply do not need it to operate properly and some can introduce noise back onto the power feed making it hard for other gear to filter it out.

Back in my sound quality car audio competition days I had very high end gear, hugely sound deadened vehicles, big power cables, batteries, filter caps, absolutely black background when between tracks, only place to hear it to the fullest extent of refinement was out in the boonies, engine off. Engine on one would hear it of course but acceptable but the black background on the systems was never quite as clean no matter what I tried. All competitions were done with engine off except three different kinds of events where I had to compete in bass but not a test tone, actual music for two minutes which usually blew up the bass monsters so I would beat them anyway. Shockingly my single sealed 15 SQL sub with 1kw still hit 134.5db average for 2 minutes and I never built it to get loud. I do recall second place in bass at one of them, guy had same sub but two in huge ported box, same amp except two so 2kw and only beat me be 1.5db. I smoked them every time in SQ during that part of the comp:)

Last edited:
ifi power supply just arrived so I will test this as soon as it can.

Stock PS, iFi and battery bank will be tested and reported on, no measurements will be done, only listening tests so your results may vary since evey single human being perceives things differently.

Those that hear no differences in cables (up to a reasonable cost, crazy priced ones basically just sound different than other crazy ones, IMHO) no difference in DAC's, etc.....you are blessed as can just use whatever you wish and enjoy the music. Us that like to tinker can do whatever we like and make a difference to our ears and if it makes us happy, good for us.

Last edited:
Or as I’ve seen suggested elsewhere, try the new toy for a week, then go back to what you previously had for another week. If after that second week you really miss what you think the new toy brought to your listening pleasure, keep it. If not, return it.

Back