Can/should the Pro and + be shut off when not in use?

guy48065

My system is plugged into a "smart strip" that turns everything on or off in response to a "sensed" component.

How long does it take the Pro or Pro+ to start up and be ready for use after power-on?
Is there any disadvantage to removing the power when done listening?

I'm assuming when you "power-off" the WiiM it's actually going on standby.

I just walk away from my Wiim when I am done. Don't think it consumes alot of power in sleep mode.
Heck my sub goes to sleep as well and powers on when there's a signal. I only unplug everything from the wall socket when I go on vacations.

Wifi disconnect would be the issue. There is no official power off. It just goes into stand bye.

I power my wiim pro from usb from my amplifier and when amplifier is of not get power from him

I think about it this way, most electronics fail from an inrush of current, so I just leave everything on/standby.

Leaving it on dream like state, would also allow it to receive OTA updates from Wiim Central Command. Or is it a opt-in feature?

Leaving it on dream like state, would also allow it to receive OTA updates from Wiim Central Command. Or is it a opt-in feature?
It's opt in, you are told about the update in the app and have to install it, if I recall.

I just leave my WiiM kit to sleep when it's not in use.

It's opt in, you are told about the update in the app and have to install it, if I recall.

I just leave my WiiM kit to sleep when it's not in use.
That doesn’t mean that it’ll not do firmware updates overnight even if you haven’t chosen it. I think…

That doesn’t mean that it’ll not do firmware updates overnight even if you haven’t chosen it. I think…
That's been my experience. I didn't do last update when I saw it was available, but when I went back later it was already installed.

Well each time I turn on the Wiim it can't connect to the network & I have to go thru a bunch of nonsense like the FIRST time. Eventually I get the 'ready' tone and then a few seconds of music, then it locks up again. Doesn't respond to app or remote.

I see there are threads about the Wiim dropping connection often... and I haven't seen a 'fix' mentioned.

I moved the adaptor to an always-on socket to see if I have the same issues tonight.

When I got home I went straight to my audio room and found that the whim was still connected. I pressed the preset for Radio Paradise and after a couple seconds the music started to play. But it stuttered frequently...and continue to stutter until I gave up and switched to Spotify. Spotify would only play from my phone, I couldn't cast it to the whim. Then I tried my squeeze server and it wouldn't play either. I checked the device status and it was not online.

I don't think I have any choice but to assume that I have a unit with a bad wifi radio.

And no--it's not a typo that I'm calling this the Whim. It fits. I'm sending it back to Amazon for another. If that one behaves the same I'll go down the User Error rabbit hole. But this is "Easy Setup", right? Switching streams isn't supposed to cause it to disconnect or lockup.

I’ve only been asked to do first time setup the first time. Even after it’s been unplugged

That's because this one is a POS.
I can't return it to Amazon. Not returnable (a first in my experience).
They are out of stock--no exchange possible.
They offered a refund but I bought it during a brief sale last week so if/when they get it back in stock it will cost me more.

So my options are to try for a mfr. warranty exchange, or hang onto it & hope Amazon gets more.
I contacted Wiim to see what they can do.

Between Amazon and WiiM I believe you will end up with a satisfactory resolution.

Between Amazon and WiiM I believe you will end up with a satisfactory resolution.
It actually was a little bit of a challenge.
One week after I received my Pro+, after evenings being frustrated trying to get it to connect or reconnect to wifi, I was ready to send it back. I contacted Amazon about returning it. "Not returnable" I was told. I've never been told that by Amazon. The agent offered a full refund WITHOUT returning it. That happens quite often--but rarely for anything costing more than $20. I still objected because I bought the thing on a special sale and saved $33. If I ordered a replacement it would be at full price.
I was sent a link for ordering the replacement but it was for the Pro...not the Pro+. The agent insisted it was the same unit. I tried to find the Pro+ and it was gone from Amazon. It didn't say "out of stock" ... It was just gone.

I assumed that's why I was getting the unusual responses from customer service. I decided to keep my defective unit and hope they get restocked, then try again for an 'even exchange'. I didn't need to wait long. The next day the Plus was again available so I again opened a chat with customer service.
Very different story this time. A Pro Plus was immediately shipped and I had 3 weeks left of my return period to send back the 'old' unit, by dropping it off at a UPS store or Whole Foods.

The new one arrived Saturday & I installed it tonight. Setup went smoothly and at no time during my evening of switching streams & inputs did it lose Wi-Fi connection. It behaved perfectly.

Amazon had me worried for a few hours but they came thru. 👍

Back