Is the WiiM Pro the device I am looking for?

CanadaBri

Basically, what I am looking for is a device that I can control remotely, and tell it to play something over my whole-home-audio system.
What I am not looking for is a device that will make an old sound source without network ability, capable of streaming over my home network via wifi.

My house has a built-in speakers throughout the home and a few outdoors. The existing brand used is Elan. There is a controller, pre-amp and power amp, and all rooms have a single speaker in the ceiling. There are a few zones in the house. There are 3 or 4 control panels which basically allows you to select the on/off state and source for a zone. Each room also has a volume control. When I got the house, there was not much left in terms of instructions or source devices.

What I am thinking is that I could plug this WiiM Pro Line out (just one RCA out and not both L/R because its going to be mono anyways - or would I need a cable to merge L/R to a single RCA line?) into one of the RCA plugs in the wall. Then I should be able to just select the proper channel on the control panel - and whatever music is being sent to the WiiM Pro will play in the room?

If I connect the WiiM Pro by ethernet, I am assuming that means it receives commands and streams by the wired network as opposed to wifi, which are then played out to my "speakers" which are in fact the "whole house audio" thing that is already there?

Does the WiiM Pro do what I am hoping to do?

I think so. There's a configuration option called "Mono output" which sends the same analog signal to the left and right analog output. So you have to plug in only one of the two RCA plugs of the supplied RCA cable.

I think so. There's a configuration option called "Mono output" which sends the same analog signal to the left and right analog output. So you have to plug in only one of the two RCA plugs of the supplied RCA cable.
I am looking for this setting - I don't see it in the config - can anyone tell me where to look?

When I only plugged in 1 RCA, all I got was a loud humm noise through my house. When I used both RCA plugs, it worked - but I am not sure if I am only getting 1/2 of a stereo signal (only 1 RCA will be relevant in my house config ... on the Elan device, I am assuming they use each RCA input as a separate device and assume everything is mono coming in)

I have done this with a similar old whole house audio system (Russound).. works well but not sure if I would benefit from a new external DAC

Back