We cannot define a static IP address for the device in Wiim apps to avoid a re-discovery?

kenilElk

Hi,
That is quite frustrating; we cannot define a static IP address for the device in Wiim apps for known Wiim devices each time it starts a new device discovery.

I have three or even four private networks at home, like 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, and 192.168.2.x. Wiim Pro+ connected with wired Ethernet to .0.X, while my phone and tablets connected to.2.x or.1.x. Each time I have to reconnect a phone or tablet to the 0.x network for Wiim Pro+ management, it is not very good at all. For example, the old Dune HD Android remote app can see and manage all the old Dune HD media players on all my home networks.

It has been found that the Wiim application management of a remote Wiim device on another home network is still alive and fully functional when and after you switch back to your original network. Therefore, it is a bug or poor functionality of the Wiim application device discovery model (it does not save an old IP address and disallows putting the address manually and saving it).

I am sure I am not alone with this problem.Screenshot_20231227_122523_WiiM Home.jpg

Last edited:
Submit a feature request thru the feedback section in the WiiM Home app - the more who do, the better chance they may address it.

It is a spam button available??
Would clean so much....
But I have another very flat old stereo joke, sorry 😉

Question: Why did the amplifier hum?

Answer: Because it didn’t know the words!

But back to daily business...
There is definitively an electrical problem with the little cutie. A simple ground loop could be the issue, but I think it is more severe.

But back to daily business...
There is definitively an electrical problem with the little cutie. A simple ground loop could be the issue, but I think it is more severe.
Hopefully WiiM will say something about it soon, but as I’ve said elsewhere, the best way for them to track the issue is by users reporting it thru the formal feedback route so device logs can be inspected for clues like pcb versions etc. It’s very difficult to track issues and trends just by what might be said on forums that the supplier may or may not frequent.

I am quite sure the information arrived a while ago. My position here is a little tricky and the fact that I gave the cutie back does it make impossible for me to deliver a log or something else. But I am confident others did.
In this case I understand the users asking for answers. In so many others I don't 😉

But this seems to be a wrong thread anyway..😂
Another senior moment..
But hopefully the audience is smaller..

<...>.

It has been found that the Wiim application management of a remote Wiim device on another home network is still alive and fully functional when and after you switch back to your original network. Therefore, it is a bug or poor functionality of the Wiim application device discovery model (it does not save an old IP address and disallows putting the address manually and saving it to avoid full re-discovery).
Ticket created #495233

I have a somewhat similar setup running 4 VLANs. I never had any problems with the WiiM discovery. Would you be able to share more details about your network setup. @kenilElk

I have a somewhat similar setup running 4 VLANs. I never had any problems with the WiiM discovery. Would you be able to share more details about your network setup
Not the original poster, but I have the same problem (has gotten worse lately, for a while everything worked, then something changed in the WiiM Home app, at least for Android)

I have a main lan and an iot vlan. The main lan can access iot (and wan), but the iot lan cannot access main lan, only specific protocols are allowed between iot and vlan: DHP and DNS. In order for casting devices like Chromecast (and WiiM) to be discoverable via mDNS (Bonjour), the router is running the Avahi reflector and multicast on port 5353 is enabled between vlans.

With those settings, all Chromecast devices work (including the WiiM as a chromecast streamer), all music services on the WiiM are discoverable by the respective apps (e.g. Amazon Music Alexa Cast, Tidal, etc). The WiiM Watcher Chrome extension also works just fine.

Problem is, the Android WiiM app uses UPnP SSDP discovery, and I have not enabled UPnP due to the security implications. So it doesn't properly "discover" the WiiM. It sees it, but refuses to connect saying it's on a different network (it's not).

The most frustrating part is that, if I connect my phone to the iot vlan, start the WiiM Home app, then switch the phone wifi to main lan, the WiiM app works just fine. Once the WiiM Home app has the WiiM IP address, the standard commands in the format
Code:
url = 'http://' + player_ip + ':49152/upnp/control/rendertransport1'
can travel across vlans without problems. Just UPnP SSDP discovery is broken. Of course my WiiM is set with a static IP address (from the WiiM app), so UPnP discovery is pointless: when it works, it always returns the same IP address. If I could store that address in the WiiM Home app, I would have no problems. Or even if the WiiM home app cached the last known address and tried that before using discovery, saving time. After all, in the majority of home networks, a device even on DHCP will retain the same address most of the times.

I know it's possible to write custom firewall and routing rules to enable UPnP discovery for just a static address on the vlan. It's juat a lot of hassle for something that should not be needed.

There's no reason in 2024 for WiiM to use a protocol as insecure as UPnP discovery, and more and more networks disable UPnP for security reasons. Especially considering that every other service on the WiiM uses mDNS instead. WiiM Home should also use mDNS for its discovery (in addition to caching the last known address)

There's no reason in 2024 for WiiM to use a protocol as insecure as UPnP discovery, and more and more networks disable UPnP for security reasons.
Is connecting to UPnP servers and speakers not a good reason?
UPnP on a LAN is fine, it's the Internet Gateway Device Protocol that's insecure and should be disabled.

Why do you even need UPnP if you're using WiiM which uses mDNS?

Last edited:
Why can't you define a static IP for your WiiM from your dchp server?

I did this and now every time it asks for an IP, the dchp server gives it the same one.

Back