Network issues?

Starsick

I have set up an LMS server, and from what I understand in my reading in this forum, that I would be able to stream music from the LMS server to the WiiM Pro.

However, when I tried to do so, I'm unable to get any audio.

In a similar setup with my router, my Cambridge audio server works with no problem.

My setup, is a watch guard firebox t70. I have three networks set up on it and they're all in bridge mode, so they can all communicate with each other no problem. I can ping any IP address, and the two wireless networks have their own IP range, as well as the wired network having its own.

The wireless network that I use to control the Cambridge is on a 192.168.100.xxx, and the wired network that the Cambridge audio system is on is 192.168.111.xxx.

These two communicate perfectly with no problem, I use the wireless network to control from the Cambridge audio music app and it goes to the wired network perfectly, no problem.

In my LMS setup, I have the server on the wired network which is 192.168.111.xxx, and I'm trying to stream from the wired network to my wireless network which is where the WiiM resides, on the 192.168.100.xxx.

Since my router is set up to use bridge mode, and communicate through all the networks either by pinging or for instance when of I access The LMS on the wired network, I have no problems reaching it at all. Why would I have trouble in the other direction? I installed UPNP plug and play also on the LMS just in case I needed that for the WiiM Pro to find the device and vice versa.

Was I given bad advice here? Will it be able, the LMS that is, reside on the wired network, or will I need to enable it on the wireless network, with the same IP range? I know wired networks are generally faster, but will I be able to have the ethernet cable plugged in and enable wireless in LMS at the same time? Or will I need to choose one over the other, and if then doing so, if I choose the wireless network I will have to give the LMS a static IP?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to think through this, and would like to know why it doesn't work in its present configuration whenever in the reverse it works fine. Communicating to the server via wireless to wired network, that is. Why wouldn't it find the device to stream to? I was told in another thread that I wouldn't have to do anything with the WiiM Pro, that LMS would simply find it and stream.

I hope I've enumerated this for everyone here, and I appreciate any and all feedback, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to try this. Thank you for any and all help.

Sounds like a networking issue as many of us do indeed use our WiiM Pro Squeezelite client quite happily with LMS without having to do anything on the LMS side of things, or indeed the WiiM side - the WiiM Pro just appears as a player to our LMS server, removing the need for any LMS upnp plugins etc,

As networking isn’t my forte, perhaps someone else can offer advice as how you may be able to configure your network bridge for LMS.

Last edited:
@Starsick you keep adding really important tit bits of information that make things difficult.

Go to basics.
Put the WiiM onto the same subnet as LMS - so that the router isn't doing any bridging - does it work then? I would expect that it will.
If it does then your router isn't passing data from all necessary ports across the two subnets. What make model is the router?

@Starsick you keep adding really important tit bits of information that make things difficult.

Go to basics.
Put the WiiM onto the same subnet as LMS - so that the router isn't doing any bridging - does it work then? I would expect that it will.
If it does then your router isn't passing data from all necessary ports across the two subnets. What make model is the router?
A watch guard firebox t70 seems to be at the heart of it.

Edit: cf https://www.watchguard.com/help/doc...are/networksetup/net_config_bridgemode_c.html

Highly configurable but must be missing something. Squeezelite needs TCP 9000 (if that is LMS port) and both TCP & UDP 3483.

Highly configurable but must be missing something. Squeezelite needs TCP 9000 (if that is LMS port) and both TCP & UDP 3483.
Would this question be better addressed in the slimdevices forum where logs etc could be posted/discussed? I don’t get the feeling this is a WiiM specific issue, although the OP submitting a ticket to WiiM might do no harm in case they can spot an issue in the WiiM device logs.

Yes I think it would. @Starsick has an ongoing thread on there about his SD Card space woes so he can tag this on the end but if you are reading this @Starsick give ALL the information not just a little part.

You can run a Squeezelite instance down a VPN to a remote LMS so the underlying mechanism exists to go across subnets but here my strong suspicion is that the bridge on the router isn't as transparent as you think it is.

As you @Brantome can testify LMS with WiiM Squeezelite on a simple network just works!

A few pointers.

First you should try to keep LMS on the wired portion of the network and at some point give it a reserved IP in DHCP.

The difference between the Cambridge and the WiiM is that they are working the opposite way round.
Cambridge (.100) is pulling data from your NAS (.111/) via SMB/CIFS
LMS (.111) is pushing data to the WiiM (.100) via its slimproto ports - see above

Put the WiiM onto wired network (.111) temporarily and test.

A few pointers.

First you should try to keep LMS on the wired portion of the network and at some point give it a reserved IP in DHCP.

The difference between the Cambridge and the WiiM is that they are working the opposite way round.
Cambridge (.100) is pulling data from your NAS (.111/) via SMB/CIFS
LMS (.111) is pushing data to the WiiM (.100) via its slimproto ports - see above

Put the WiiM onto wired network (.111) temporarily and test.
Again, thank you so much. I have set the internal static IP for the piCoreplayer, and have set a reserved IP in DHCP in my router for the Pi. In the other threads and on other forums, you have guided me and helped solve the SD card issues, I am grateful. Thank you. As to "players" when I test the WiiM Pro on the .111 ip range, I would look under "players" in "information" to see if it has been detected, right? No need for reboot of the piCoreplayer? I do apologize if I indeed ask the simplest of questions. I also noticed (when I set up the Firebox with their tech folks) that I am in "mixed routing mode" not bridge, and that was at their direction. I also opened up the TCP/UDP ports indicated above . I will relocate the Wiim to the wired net, and let you know my findings. Thanks to all.

I would look under "players" in "information" to see if it has been detected, right? No need for reboot of the piCoreplayer?
Yes although it should also appear here - Kitchen is a WiiM Pro

Material

1697817038190.png

1697817090865.png

Yes. One or other for a device but not both.

Reserved IP fixes the address - required for a server type device - but gives flexibility of network wide change to say DNS server from one place. Makes admin easier.

Have to ask. Why 3 subnets and a high spec firewall?
My original thoughts on all of it was to split the load from my high speed connections - on wireless subnet is for Alexa's, Phones, and the other is for Streaming video and security video systems. The wired is simply my Video editing workstation, some security devices and the plug ethernet is for devices that I can't run ethernet cable to and where speed is not a top priority on a daily basis.

Yes although it should also appear here - Kitchen is a WiiM Pro

Material

View attachment 2963

View attachment 2964
Also, I have plugged into my wired ethernet switch and LMS found the WiiM Pro. However, This device normally resides upstairs on my third floor in a designated spot in my recording studio, with a dedicated sound system. How will I be able to communicate - or have the LMS find - the WiiM player on the wireless net? I see that it is as simple as selecting the player I am going to use, then just select from my net share (when I am wired) .
1697822253766.png

Also, I have plugged into my wired ethernet switch and LMS found the WiiM Pro. However, This device normally resides upstairs on my third floor in a designated spot in my recording studio, with a dedicated sound system. How will I be able to communicate - or have the LMS find - the WiiM player on the wireless net? I see that it is as simple as selecting the player I am going to use, then just select from my net share (when I am wired) .
View attachment 2968
You will need to get the “bridge” on your router working correctly and put it back on existing wireless network OR if it is possible create a new SSID specifically for the WiiM that is on the same subnet as your Pi.

If you install the WiiM Home App on your desktop (assuming it's using the wired network) does it find the WiiM when it's on the wireless network?
It obviously will as it’s not then passing across between subnets.
I think it is now clear what the issue is - the routing/bridge on Firebox.
If his Firebox allows a further SSID that he can put in same subnet as wired devices and put WiiM Pro on that then issue should be resolved.

You will need to get the “bridge” on your router working correctly and put it back on existing wireless network OR if it is possible create a new SSID specifically for the WiiM that is on the same subnet as your Pi.
I understand. I can open a command line and ping from wired .111 to wireless .100 no problem with any device on the wireless networks, so at least I know that is correct. The WiiM will do me not good down where the switch is, of course. I am going to try to figure this out - at least I know that the WiiM is seen in LMS when they are all on the same subnet. My thoughts are to maybe even try using the LMS wirelessly on the same wireless net, but I am wondering if I will lose the net share that is on the wired net. I could go into the wireless net and set a reserved IP address and set it to the Pi and the WiiM along with the Pi would be on the same subnet. Like I said, I am a bit afraid of the net share disappearing even though it is configured correctly in LMS.

Back