Network issues?

Starsick

I have set up an LMS server, and from what I understand in my reading in this forum, that I would be able to stream music from the LMS server to the WiiM Pro.

However, when I tried to do so, I'm unable to get any audio.

In a similar setup with my router, my Cambridge audio server works with no problem.

My setup, is a watch guard firebox t70. I have three networks set up on it and they're all in bridge mode, so they can all communicate with each other no problem. I can ping any IP address, and the two wireless networks have their own IP range, as well as the wired network having its own.

The wireless network that I use to control the Cambridge is on a 192.168.100.xxx, and the wired network that the Cambridge audio system is on is 192.168.111.xxx.

These two communicate perfectly with no problem, I use the wireless network to control from the Cambridge audio music app and it goes to the wired network perfectly, no problem.

In my LMS setup, I have the server on the wired network which is 192.168.111.xxx, and I'm trying to stream from the wired network to my wireless network which is where the WiiM resides, on the 192.168.100.xxx.

Since my router is set up to use bridge mode, and communicate through all the networks either by pinging or for instance when of I access The LMS on the wired network, I have no problems reaching it at all. Why would I have trouble in the other direction? I installed UPNP plug and play also on the LMS just in case I needed that for the WiiM Pro to find the device and vice versa.

Was I given bad advice here? Will it be able, the LMS that is, reside on the wired network, or will I need to enable it on the wireless network, with the same IP range? I know wired networks are generally faster, but will I be able to have the ethernet cable plugged in and enable wireless in LMS at the same time? Or will I need to choose one over the other, and if then doing so, if I choose the wireless network I will have to give the LMS a static IP?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to think through this, and would like to know why it doesn't work in its present configuration whenever in the reverse it works fine. Communicating to the server via wireless to wired network, that is. Why wouldn't it find the device to stream to? I was told in another thread that I wouldn't have to do anything with the WiiM Pro, that LMS would simply find it and stream.

I hope I've enumerated this for everyone here, and I appreciate any and all feedback, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to try this. Thank you for any and all help.

I understand. I can open a command line and ping from wired .111 to wireless .100 no problem with any device on the wireless networks, so at least I know that is correct. The WiiM will do me not good down where the switch is, of course. I am going to try to figure this out - at least I know that the WiiM is seen in LMS when they are all on the same subnet. My thoughts are to maybe even try using the LMS wirelessly on the same wireless net, but I am wondering if I will lose the net share that is on the wired net. I could go into the wireless net and set a reserved IP address and set it to the Pi and the WiiM along with the Pi would be on the same subnet. Like I said, I am a bit afraid of the net share disappearing even though it is configured correctly in LMS.
The NAS and Pi need to be on same subnet so don’t put Pi on Wireless network. You need the WiiM on that same subnet or open up the rules on Firebox if you know how.

You could wirelessly bridge the wired network using 2 x WAP configured in bridge mode.
This is a point to point wireless mode that joins two wired networks together on same subnet.
You’d plug one WAP into switch downstairs and the other either directly into WiiM upstairs or into another switch.
Obviously there is quite a cost to this.

BTW if you want to stream from Alexa to the WiiM then not only will they both need to be on same subnet but also on same SSID. Stupid Amazon idea if you ask me but.., @Brantome knows more

BTW if you want to stream from Alexa to the WiiM then not only will they both need to be on same subnet but also on same SSID. Stupid Amazon idea if you ask me but.., @Brantome knows more

Huh? I've never had such an issue. Why would the SSID even matter from a networking standpoint?

I think there‘s a few things mixed up here - I don’t know what you mean by Alexa being on the same subnet, it’s a cloud service. What I was perhaps referring to (and it may have changed) was that echos in a multi room music group at one point all needed to be on the same SSID (crazy as it sounded), not just the same network, and the use of things like wifi extenders etc could prevent another echo from joining a multi room music group. The SSID constraint may no longer exist which I meant to check, but forgot to.

Just read back a few comments and I see it’s AlexaCast that’s being talked about - in which case, if I said that, it must have been a senior moment and I was mistaken. Apologies.

Just read back a few comments and I see it’s AlexaCast that’s being talked about - in which case, if I said that, it must have been a senior moment and I was mistaken. Apologies.
I too may have mixed things up. I know that I could not get my Echo Show to talk Alexacast to my WiiM when they were on different SSIDs but there was another anomaly that I corrected at the same time - the Show was registered to SWMBO and although I could see it Alexa app I couldn’t add it as a speaker for the Show. I corrected both things at the same time.

Just to confirm, that's the WiiM app on your PC (192.168.111.xxx) connecting to the WiiM on the wireless network (192.168.100.xxx)?

@d6jg, Does LMS/squeezelite use mDNS for discovery?
No. It uses TCP/UDP 3483 which the player broadcasts on for a reply.
On a “normal” Squeezelite you can specify a server Ip to connect to - although it’s usually not necessary - which then means you only need TCP 9000. This is also how you would connect down a VPN.
This is the bit that is being blocked by the router where I presume the network mask is 255.255.255.0 on all 3 subnets with the router having some pass through rules.
I’m sure it can be sorted as it’s just routing tables but it sounds like @Starsick got someone to set it up for him.

I did ask WiiM to consider a small config page where you could specify server IP but as it’s not usually necessary I guess they thought not worth it.

In my case (which is unusual) I always have at least 2 LMS running. The WiiM always discovers my Dev server but it’s easy to move it via Material so it’s just an annoyance.

This however is an edge case example where it would be very useful.

I too may have mixed things up. I know that I could not get my Echo Show to talk Alexacast to my WiiM when they were on different SSIDs but there was another anomaly that I corrected at the same time - the Show was registered to SWMBO and although I could see it Alexa app I couldn’t add it as a speaker for the Show. I corrected both things at the same time.
Thanks. Putting on my pedantic Alexa hat ;) , I wouldn’t called that AlexaCast, just redirecting the output of one alexa enabled device to another which along with multi room music groups predates the introduction of the ability to cast from the amazon music app to an echo (or group) which was then given the name AlexaCast.

Given it's LMS I'm kind of surprised that you can't hardcode the client into the server.
I think it’s to do with original client devices having the ability to connect to mySqueezebox.com (a sort of cloud based LMS) or a local LMS and being able to switch between them.
You can’t do this with Squeezelite but once the broadcast is successful LMS registers the instance by MAC and IP. I’m not sure if broadcast then ceases I would expect it does until the client can’t see LMS on 9000 anymore.

Last edited:
Back