Option on device to ignore DHCP and set a static IP address

christopher0936

I emailed support about this last summer and was told it was in development and expected to release in July or August, but never heard back and never saw it comes out in an update.

I have an unreliable DHCP server on my home network, and this has resulted in my having to frequently restart the device and my router.

I upgraded from an airport express, and on that device, I was able to solve this problem by setting a static IP address in the network settings of the device, however I have been unable to figure out how to do this with the Mini.

DHCP is a mess in the app with the Pro.

Pro reports 3 MACs:
"BTMAC": "b8:xx:xx:xx:xx:d5"
"MAC": "B8:xx:xx:xx:xx:D4"
"ETH_MAC": "00:xx:xx:xx:xx:78"

Look at the screen when WiFi is used:

View attachment 720

IP has been statically assigned using "MAC": "B8:xx:xx:xx:xx:D4" and this MAC is shown.

Now Ethernet being used:

IP has been assigned using "ETH_MAC": "00:xx:xx:xx:xx:78" but incorrect MAC is shown.
Wiim accept this is a bug and will be resolved in the next or future app release

Hi Chris, thank you for your reminder. Our device firmware supports the static IP assignment but we need enable the configuration UI from the WiiM Home App. By checking with our team, it will be released in late Feb. Please stay tuned!
Is this feature available now?

Count me in as another user who would like to see the Home app include an option to set a static IP for the WiiM Pro.

Apparently, WiiM has put this idea/request on the far back burner, tho', as it's been over a year since they stated early in this thread they would have it in the firmware by Feb 2023. Leaves me wondering why.

My WiiM Pro is ethernet-only (wifi turned off) and consistently receives the same dynamic address from the router, but cannot find itself sometimes (random but annoying quirk) and questions whether it's on the same network. Rebooting it always fixes that, but I'm weary of this "need to reboot".

Count me in as another user who would like to see the Home app include an option to set a static IP for the WiiM Pro.
Do you use TIDAL/Spotify Connect, AirPlay, Chromecast, Squeezelite, or UPnP with a third party control point? If so, do these also exhibit the same discovery issues?

On my PC laptop (wifi), I mainly use the WiiM Home app for Windows, and also occasionally the Spotify connect app. My main use is to stream flac files from another linux PC running as a file server. The WiiM Pro and the file server machine are on wired ethernet. All clients are on the same network.

The episodes where the WiiM Pro and Home app can't find each other are not too frequent (maybe once a month?) and not always after a firmware update. They seem random, but count as an annoyance I would like to eliminate because they dilute my enjoyment of music.

I have six other devices (all audio equipment or game consoles) on the same LAN, all wired like the WiiM Pro, but they (including the ones with their own apps or web interfaces) never get lost--all have assigned static IPs, which is my ignorant excuse for wanting the same feature in the WiiM device in the hope of eliminating the occasional problem.

The impression I get is that people think the ability to specify an IP address will fix all their discovery issues, but the reality is that it won't make any difference to any of the aforementioned use cases (TIDAL/Spotify connect e.t.c.), just that of the WiiM Home app itself.

Given it's so infrequent it doesn't sound like a discovery issue you're having. Next time you experience the problem, try to connect to the WiiM using Spotify Connect.

The impression I get is that people think the ability to specify an IP address will fix all their discovery issues, but the reality is that it won't make any difference to any of the aforementioned use cases (TIDAL/Spotify connect e.t.c.), just that of the WiiM Home app itself.

Given it's so infrequent it doesn't sound like a discovery issue you're having. Next time you experience the problem, try to connect to the WiiM using Spotify Connect.

Oh, I've of course already tried that. When the Home app can't find the WiiM Pro, neither can Spotify connect (no choice of streamers in that popup list). Although the WiiM Pro is assigned a dynamic address (always the same one) by the router, maybe it's simply not waking up from standby?

Oh, I've of course already tried that. When the Home app can't find the WiiM Pro, neither can Spotify connect (no choice of streamers in that popup list). Although the WiiM Pro is assigned a dynamic address (always the same one) by the router, maybe it's simply not waking up from standby?
Unfortunately all that tells us is that the WiiM wasn't responding to discovery requests (WiiM and Spotify use the same discovery protocol).

In this scenario, even if the WiiM was still active and you were able to connect to it by IP, the only benefit would be that you'd be able to reboot it from the app, because until that time Spotify Connect would be unavailable.

There's nothing wrong with having a dynamic IP, although you should be able to set one in your router, but given it's not used for discovery I wouldn't bother.

It might be worth keeping a record to see if there's a pattern to the problem e.g. around firmware/app updates.

Last edited:
It might be worth keeping a record to see if there's a pattern to the problem e.g. around firmware/app updates.
It had always happened just after a firmware update, but more recently has started happening randomly, forcing the old unplug routine in every case. I guess I will set a static IP for it (this is a WiiM Pro, not the mini) in my router, see if that changes anything.... but which of the two/three reported MACs do I use? [EDIT] Never mind, found the right one ....

Last edited:
Back