Network issues?

Starsick

I have set up an LMS server, and from what I understand in my reading in this forum, that I would be able to stream music from the LMS server to the WiiM Pro.

However, when I tried to do so, I'm unable to get any audio.

In a similar setup with my router, my Cambridge audio server works with no problem.

My setup, is a watch guard firebox t70. I have three networks set up on it and they're all in bridge mode, so they can all communicate with each other no problem. I can ping any IP address, and the two wireless networks have their own IP range, as well as the wired network having its own.

The wireless network that I use to control the Cambridge is on a 192.168.100.xxx, and the wired network that the Cambridge audio system is on is 192.168.111.xxx.

These two communicate perfectly with no problem, I use the wireless network to control from the Cambridge audio music app and it goes to the wired network perfectly, no problem.

In my LMS setup, I have the server on the wired network which is 192.168.111.xxx, and I'm trying to stream from the wired network to my wireless network which is where the WiiM resides, on the 192.168.100.xxx.

Since my router is set up to use bridge mode, and communicate through all the networks either by pinging or for instance when of I access The LMS on the wired network, I have no problems reaching it at all. Why would I have trouble in the other direction? I installed UPNP plug and play also on the LMS just in case I needed that for the WiiM Pro to find the device and vice versa.

Was I given bad advice here? Will it be able, the LMS that is, reside on the wired network, or will I need to enable it on the wireless network, with the same IP range? I know wired networks are generally faster, but will I be able to have the ethernet cable plugged in and enable wireless in LMS at the same time? Or will I need to choose one over the other, and if then doing so, if I choose the wireless network I will have to give the LMS a static IP?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to think through this, and would like to know why it doesn't work in its present configuration whenever in the reverse it works fine. Communicating to the server via wireless to wired network, that is. Why wouldn't it find the device to stream to? I was told in another thread that I wouldn't have to do anything with the WiiM Pro, that LMS would simply find it and stream.

I hope I've enumerated this for everyone here, and I appreciate any and all feedback, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to try this. Thank you for any and all help.

I KNOW I am a bit naive in the networking world - I just seem to be stumped (mentally) why I can access the LMS Server from a wireless network and manipulate the web GUI no problem, but why I cannot get the LMS to find my player that is on a wireless network confounds me. As mentioned earlier, there MUST be something in my very advanced router that is wrong. If I have to pay for a year's support (because they will require that) I will, to solve this. There is NO reason why the communications shouldn't be both ways.

I KNOW I am a bit naive in the networking world - I just seem to be stumped (mentally) why I can access the LMS Server from a wireless network and manipulate the web GUI no problem, but why I cannot get the LMS to find my player that is on a wireless network confounds me. As mentioned earlier, there MUST be something in my very advanced router that is wrong. If I have to pay for a year's support (because they will require that) I will, to solve this. There is NO reason why the communications shouldn't be both ways.
It’s actually that your WiiM can’t find the LMS. I’ve tried to explain up there ^ how the discovery is initiated by the player.

If you don’t really understand networking why have you got such a complicated setup.

I work from home and networking is one of the areas my company works in. I have high end kit with site to site VPNs etc but nothing as complicated as you have. There really is no need. Keep IOT things separated if you must but otherwise you should keep it as simple as possible unless there is a need not to. If it’s over complicated it’s really difficult to troubleshoot issues but here I will bet £10 that it’s your Firebox not allowing the discovery packets from the WiiM across the subnets.

It’s actually that your WiiM can’t find the LMS. I’ve tried to explain up there ^ how the discovery is initiated by the player.
Again speaking as a relative network tyro (or rather as someone who largely managed to avoid getting too involved in comms in my IT career ;) ) , would that fall into the category of network discovery which is one of the disabled functions in bridge mode mentioned in the link I posted in comment #4?

Again speaking as a relative network tyro (or rather as someone who largely managed to avoid getting too involved in comms in my IT career ;) ) , would that fall into the category of network discovery which is one of the disabled functions in bridge mode mentioned in the link I posted in comment #4?
Unsure. There is a lot in that document but @Starsick said it wasn’t in bridge mode it was configured as something else which I can’t find right now (on iPhone).

@Starsick, if you install BubbleUPnP or mconnect on your phone (wireless) can it see your Cambridge audio system (wired)?

I know you've said that the StreamMagic app can, but that could be using a discovery protocol other than UPnP.

I'm not expecting it to as I've been unable to do it myself. It would also mean that the WiiM should be discoverable with the UPnP plugin in LMS - not that that's a solution of course.

Last edited:
Back