Max Volume to low?!

twulf

Hi there,

I'm using the WIIM Amp since a few weeks, connected is a pair of Q Acoustics 3050i with 91 dB (6 Ohm) sensivity.
My expectation was that 60 watts into 8 ohms should be enough to drive the speakers at party level!
At 100% volume I measure at a distance of one meter just 88 dB at the peak with rock music.

Is that normal for the WIIM amp?

I´ve done already a reset to factory.

I can't complain about the sound, both CD via optical input and streams via Amazon sound really good....

Any ideas?

Thanks and best regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I drive my Wharfedale Evo 4.4 8 ohm with Wiim Amp(89db sensitivity) at 75% volume , I have 89/90db (measured with phone) at about 3,5m . So I think it's something wrong with the rock album (I'm guessing you tried different albums) or some issues with the amp. Try changing the source.

I just made another test. I played pink noise (a test track on Amazon Music) and measured 87dB / 1m.

Yesterday I accidentally turned the volume up to 100% (I switched something in the settings in the PC app that isn't in the phone app), and even now my ears are bleeding. Speakers Revox Symbol B MKII. I normally listen at about 30% volume.

In the sound settings you can limit the overall volume, don't you have it set to less than 100?

IMG_0959.jpg

My WiiM amp serves mostly as a quiet listening secondary audio system, however I've tested it, and it gets pretty loud with only 2 of the LEDs lit on the front.

Curios about this issue, Q Acoustic speakers do need a lot of watts up em to make them sing, perhaps is a current thing or damping. I know a cheap NAD 40w amp can drive them to silly volume levels.

Not something simple like speaker cable polarity (wired up wrong)?

Why measuring? Isn't it loud enough then?
If I would listen at ..70,80 volume % I'm sure I would hear a hard ringing noise through the music..
"Hey..I never noticed this in the music"..
Wait.." Here is it again and again"..
Oh No😮..it's the neighbours ringing the bell ..🔔🔔🔔🛎️🛎️🛎️🔔🔔🔔‼️‼️ready to complain I play the music to loud.😅😅😅
I also connected a sub..I'm sure if I often would play the music to loud I'm convinced my neighbours wouldn't greet me anymore 😅

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
Polarity is correct
Max volume is on 100% in the setup
A ticket is raised at WIIM 4 days ago without a reaction till yet.

Ich hab den Wiim amp auch an meinen Wharfedale Evo 4.4 ausprobiert, für mich ist er auch deutlich zu leise!

Yes - i tried toslink as well as bluetooth and the WIIM Amp is connected by Cat5 cable to the net...

Until one week ago , I was very satisfied with the sound level produce by WiimAmp, in meantime I bought an Yamaha A-S501 for test and 20-30% volume on Yamaha is about 70-80% volume on Wiim. That's crazy , that Yamaha is 85 W/ch on 8ohm...Wiim is 60 . I'll not mentione the sound difference because it's not a fair comparation. BUT the volume in Yamaha it's absurd, I can't passed the 40% volume . SO ... 1 Yamaha watt it's not equal with 1 Wiim watt...someone is lying.

I will say that Wiim is about 25-30W on 8Ohm max.

Until one week ago , I was very satisfied with the sound level produce by WiimAmp, in meantime I bought an Yamaha A-S501 for test and 20-30% volume on Yamaha is about 70-80% volume on Wiim. That's crazy , that Yamaha is 85 W/ch on 8ohm...Wiim is 60 . I'll not mentione the sound difference because it's not a fair comparation. BUT the volume in Yamaha it's absurd, I can't passed the 40% volume . SO ... 1 Yamaha watt it's not equal with 1 Wiim watt...someone is lying.
Nobody's lying. You have to learn the difference between gain and power.

Nobody's lying. You have to learn the difference between gain and power.

Ok...gain on Wiim it's very low , some songs are pretty low volume at 100%.
Now it's correct? I understand that gain it's output divided by input... this thing is not ok on Wiim.

Last edited:

I will say that Wiim is about 25-30W on 8Ohm max.
I have a few vintage amps that sound insanely loud at 30%, but don't appear much louder at 90%, don't trust your volume dial.

Back