iPod classic connected to Wiim Amp

JayRP

I connected my iPod classic to my Wiim amp via the the usb input but I can’t find the files anywhere. Is it possible to play songs from my iPod through the Wiim?

I connected my iPod classic to my Wiim amp via the the usb input but I can’t find the files anywhere. Is it possible to play songs from my iPod through the Wiim?
I’d be surprised if the Classic was mounted just as a drive to the WiiM Amp although I seem to recall from years ago that mine probably did when connected to Windows using the appropriate driver. You might also hit the issue of the WiiM usb slot not providing enough power for the iPod.

I’d be surprised if the Classic was mounted just as a drive to the WiiM Amp although I seem to recall from years ago that mine probably did when connected to Windows using the appropriate driver. You might also hit the issue of the WiiM usb slot not providing enough power for the iPod.
It keeps it charged and even synced but I can’t see the files anywhere.

I'd be surprised if this was possible. I never had an iPod classic, but at least with multiple generations of iPod nano the file structure on the device had nothing to do with the source files it is synced with. I also seem to remember that metadata handling is different, with Apple relying on its own database. If I remember right, it's not just a matter of the right driver. I had some piece of software that could extract the content from iPods on Windows at that time (but can't remember the name from the top of my head).

The only sure bet would be the 3.5 mm analog output connected to the analog input of the WiiM Amp, either directly or through a docking station (not available for a long time, now).

I'd be surprised if this was possible. I never had an iPod classic, but at least with multiple generations of iPod nano the file structure on the device had nothing to do with the source files it is synced with. I also seem to remember that metadata handling is different, with Apple relying on its own database. If I remember right, it's not just a matter of the right driver. I had some piece of software that could extract the content from iPods on Windows at that time (but can't remember the name from the top of my head).

The only sure bet would be the 3.5 mm analog output connected to the analog input of the WiiM Amp, either directly or through a docking station (not available for a long time, now).
Yeah, maybe I’m misremembering the Windows driver - it was probably more likely that iTunes was needed to interface with it. Plus, like you I guess, I lose track of what bit of arcane software I used for some even more arcane hardware - do you remember the Creative and Archos music players? Think I still have remnants of them in a drawer somewhere…

Apparently I've been using Sharepod to grab music from the iPod nano. I couldn't have remembered the name if my life depended on it, but I did find an old installer on my NAS :)

Funnily, it's still available for download (and it' iOS 13 and iPhone 11 ready 😄 )

Currently charging my iPod nano 6th generation to give it a try. ;)

Here am I, listening to "Upstairs at Eric's" by "Yazoo" (or "Yaz", for the American crowd) through my Lyngdorf TDAI-1120, accessing the (mini)DLNA server provided by the WiiM Amp, which just happily scanned the files on my iPod nano! 😲

Woohoo! What a surprise! It actually works! If it does with the nano, so there might be hope for @JayRP. It might be worth to investigate some more, at least.

I did update iTunes for Windows first (what a mess!) and freshly synced the iPod with just a few files (58 songs in total). Disconnected the WiiM Amp from mains power before pulling the USB thumb drive and connecting the iPod cable, then reconnected to the mains. When the Amp had booted up again, the WiiM Home App still displayed the (obviously cached) content of the other USB drive. Manually re-indexing took care of that.

@JayRP, are you familiar with the way the WiiM Amp is supposed to handle USB storage devices? Select USB as the audio input (either from the bottom of the Browse screen or from device settings, Audio input. The amp will then start the indexing process and expose it's contents as a DLNA media server (UPnP).

If your iPod cannot be selected as USB input you might want to check with iTunes if it is on the latest software.

Edit:
Now playing different songs through my WiiM Amp and my main system at the same time. 😂 Not because it would make any sense, but just to proof it's possible. 😜

Thanks for verifying that - I gave my iPod classic and Touch away years ago, maybe should have held on to one… ;)

Here am I, listening to "Upstairs at Eric's" by "Yazoo" (or "Yaz", for the American crowd) through my Lyngdorf TDAI-1120, accessing the (mini)DLNA server provided by the WiiM Amp, which just happily scanned the files on my iPod nano! 😲

Woohoo! What a surprise! It actually works! If it does with the nano, so there might be hope for @JayRP. It might be worth to investigate some more, at least.

I did update iTunes for Windows first (what a mess!) and freshly synced the iPod with just a few files (58 songs in total). Disconnected the WiiM Amp from mains power before pulling the USB thumb drive and connecting the iPod cable, then reconnected to the mains. When the Amp had booted up again, the WiiM Home App still displayed the (obviously cached) content of the other USB drive. Manually re-indexing took care of that.

@JayRP, are you familiar with the way the WiiM Amp is supposed to handle USB storage devices? Select USB as the audio input (either from the bottom of the Browse screen or from device settings, Audio input. The amp will then start the indexing process and expose it's contents as a DLNA media server (UPnP).

If your iPod cannot be selected as USB input you might want to check with iTunes if it is on the latest software.

Edit:
Now playing different songs through my WiiM Amp and my main system at the same time. 😂 Not because it would make any sense, but just to proof it's possible. 😜
So, can take from this that I can connect my iPod classic (the one with the hard drive) to the USB port on the Amp?
That would be fun to go back in the music archives and listen to things I've forgotten.

So, can take from this that I can connect my iPod classic (the one with the hard drive) to the USB port on the Amp?
That would be fun to go back in the music archives and listen to things I've forgotten.
Try it out. :) I can only speak for the iPod nano 6th generation, which is newer than even the latest iPod classic ever made. If the software is not up to it, it might not work.

Also, I'm not sure if the WiiM Amp's firmware contains support for the HFS+ files ystem. An iPods might be formatted in FAT32 or HFS+, depending on whether it was initialized using a Windows PC or a Mac.

Anyway, you cannot break anything, so just give it a try.

Try it out. :) I can only speak for the iPod nano 6th generation, which is newer than even the latest iPod classic ever made. If the software is not up to it, it might not work.

Also, I'm not sure if the WiiM Amp's firmware contains support for the HFS+ files ystem. An iPods might be formatted in FAT32 or HFS+, depending on whether it was initialized using a Windows PC or a Mac.

Anyway, you cannot break anything, so just give it a try.
I tried it today and it works with my 20 year old original iPod. WiiM Amp even shows album art for some. There's a bit of a delay from the time I select the song before it begins to play, but I would guess that the Amp is downloading the song before it begins.
It was a fun experiment, but the sound quality and ease of use is much better streaming from Amazon Music.
Just wanted to report back.

Back