What are you listening to?

A warm spring evening, Riesling from a winemaker in a nearby village. This is our soiree. Good night!

IMG_2802.jpeg

No apology (or jacket 😉) required. Genesis were undoubtedly top of the tree and ahead of their time. I would've loved to have seen them live in their heyday. The closest I came was Phil Collins' Trip into the Light tour in '97 at the NEC, Birmingham featuring his big band era tracks plus a few classics. It's very sad what has happened to him but a privilege that you saw him in what would've been one of his last appearances on stage and with the original band (minus Gabriel?). I'm now going to sit and listen to The Lamb Lies Down... remembering my teenage years. Enjoy your weekend listening.🙏👍
I saw Genesis in 1987 in Berlin just near the Brandenberg gate and right next to the berlin wall before it came down. Great concert but riots on the eastern side as I suspect they could hear the fun and were frustrated they could not partake. Eurythmics and a few other popular bands also played. Phil Collins was great live, human dynamo.

I saw Genesis in 1987 in Berlin just near the Brandenberg gate and right next to the berlin wall before it came down. Great concert but riots on the eastern side as I suspect they could hear the fun and were frustrated they could not partake. Eurythmics and a few other popular bands also played. Phil Collins was great live, human dynamo.
Great memories, I'm just a tad jealous. The atmosphere must've been electric, and I agree Phil Collins was amazing live. Eurythmics too, what a support act. I saw them in the early 80s (at University), Annie Lennox voice is something to behold.

I put this tidal playlist together, I hope you enjoy: https://tidal.com/playlist/276290d8-7b20-49c0-b9bd-4a209805533a
It consists of various tracks that demonstrate the Wiim’s abilities albeit in combination with a Geshelli JNOG DAC AKM 4499
I'm interested to see what you have there Ian but don't have Tidal (may sign up for a trial). I read somewhere that it's possible to share from Tidal to other streaming services (not sure how?).

I see you have an Audiolab 6000A (they're not too far from you). Are you using the DAC on the Amp or the WiiM? Can you hear the difference between the two? I have the Pro Plus feeding into the 7000A and find it difficult to discern any differences!

Hi, I’m not sure how you do that on other streaming services but on TIDAL you get an upgrade in a few days time so maybe worth getting a free trial, I’ve been a member for about two years now really happy with the service. Yes, I love my Audiolab 6000a and initially was very impressed with its internal DAC after months of research I decided to opt for Geshelli DAC JNOG with Sparko Op amps and AKM 4499 Dac chip, you wouldn’t believe the difference to the sound it’s night and day don’t get me wrong the Audiolab DAC is detailed and well implemented, I wouldn’t use the Wiim DAC With your 7000a, the Audiolab DAC Is better in every respect

Enjoy your music👍

Hi, I’m not sure how you do that on other streaming services but on TIDAL you get an upgrade in a few days time so maybe worth getting a free trial, I’ve been a member for about two years now really happy with the service. Yes, I love my Audiolab 6000a and initially was very impressed with its internal DAC after months of research I decided to opt for Geshelli DAC JNOG with Sparko Op amps and AKM 4499 Dac chip, you wouldn’t believe the difference to the sound it’s night and day don’t get me wrong the Audiolab DAC is detailed and well implemented, I wouldn’t use the Wiim DAC With your 7000a, the Audiolab DAC Is better in every respect

Enjoy your music👍
I saw the price drop for Hires and been pondering signing up for the trial for a while to compare with Amazon Music Unlimited so I'll take your recommendation.

That's very interesting Ian and yes I normally use the 7000A DAC with Optical input but have compared it with the Pro Plus DAC. Maybe my ageing hearing isn't what it used to be but they sound very similar. I've got my eye on the WiiM Ultra when it's released but no spec yet on the DAC.

I'll definitely try your Playlist on Tidal when I've signed up. 🙏👍

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Wiim Ultra is a streaming Amp, whatever the spec your 7000a will be better, best spend your hard earned pounds on a really good DAC 🙂
I'm not sure if it's got any amplifier components, time will tell but I'll look into it carefully. I'm actually more interested in the room correction going into the Pro Plus and presumably the Ultra too. 👍

Last edited:
Back