For the love of god turn of the status light

Fralle

Please!!! I recently bought the Wiim pro plus and I like it a lot, except for all of my album art turns out blurry playing form my NAS (still awaiting follow up there) and the status light being always on. In a lot of light conditions it makes me really uncertain if it is on or off. I actually have to turn the unit on to see the difference in light strength to be sure. It would not even be that big of a deal if it wasnt for the fact that the standby setting is unreliable. A lot of times Iv'e stopped the music and left home, then to get back to find that music has actually been playing for hours. If the status light would actually go completely off I would be certain before leaving my home in a rush.

After reading earlier posts it actually seems that absolutely no one likes this status light behavior, and that on previous firmware it actually did go off? So why then cant you make a simple update and change this back?

Hi Fralle,

To turn off the 'Status Light', go to the 'Device' tab, select the device setting gear icon, scroll down to the bottom, and toggle off the 'Status Light'. Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Hi Fralle,

To turn off the 'Status Light', go to the 'Device' tab, select the device setting gear icon, scroll down to the bottom, and toggle off the 'Status Light'. Let me know if this resolves your issue.
It does not resolve the problem. If the light is always of it is still impossible to tell if it a really went into standby.

At least 10 times now Iv'e paused Tidal and/or radio and then powdered the amp up hours later to find out music has been streaming the whole time. If the unit behaved like 99% of other products - light on for playing and light of or red light for standby the uncertainty would go away.

Is it just my unit that behaves like this?

For the love of god, your feature request contains quite a lot of different "issues". Based on the thread title it looked like you were asking for the status light to be turned off. Sorry, if I ot you wrong.

However, I cannot see that everybody loves the previous behaviour better. In fact, I see arguments going back and forth.

Maybe it's better to fight the root cause first, like "unreliable standby" (which I haven't seen with the Amp at all).

Last edited:
For the live of god, your feature request contains quite a lot of different "issues". Based on the thread title it looked like you were asking for the status light to be turned off. Sorry, if I ot you wrong.

However, I cannot see that everybody loves the previous behaviour better. In fact, I see arguments going back and forth.

Maybe it's better to fight the root cause first, like "unreliable standby" (which I haven't seen with the Amp at all).
And by the way, I am really sorry about my tone there buddy. Not cool, really not.

Just had a bad day that ended with my hearing getting even worse because of this. Turned the amp on with my ears waaay to close to the speakers to find out if had been playing music for hours.

I just figured if the light would be on for on an off for off (to me it seems like normal behaviour) i would be sure just by passing by.

Just leave it on 24/7, and turn the rest of the system off. That's what I do with my Pro.
Let it stay on, it won't hurt anything.

At least 10 times now Iv'e paused Tidal and/or radio and then powdered the amp up hours later to find out music has been streaming the whole time.

 Can you tell us more about this?

How did you turn off the music on your WiiM before you went out? (Did you press the play/stop button on the remote to stop the music and press the red power button?)

How did you turn on your WiiM when you got home? (Did you press the red power button on the remote?)

Is it possible that you came home and pressed the play button on your WiiM and the music resumed?

Edit;
WiiM does not stop playback when the amplifier is turned off. To stop the music, you need to press one of the following buttons: App/WiiM device/WiiM remote.

Last edited:
 Can you tell us more about this?

How did you turn off the music on your WiiM before you went out? (Did you press the play/stop button on the remote to stop the music and press the red power button?)

How did you turn on your WiiM when you got home? (Did you press the red power button on the remote?)

Is it possible that you came home and pressed the play button on your WiiM and the music resumed?

Edit;
WiiM does not stop playback when the amplifier is turned off. To stop the music, you need to press one of the following buttons: App/WiiM device/WiiM remote.
Iv'e paused in Tidal/Wiim app or on the remote everytime. Only way to be certain it works is to push the standby button on the remote.

What you are saying is that it would be useful if the light is on during normal usage and goes off completely when the unit goes into standby ?
Exactly! Or if the color would change from white to red. Like I said 99% of all the audio products out there work like that.

What you are saying is that it would be useful if the light is on during normal usage and goes off completely when the unit goes into standby ?
If I understand it correctly, @Fralle is rather looking for a clear signal, if one of the outputs is currently active, providing a signal.

TBH the status light does seem a bit weird, given that on my pro plus it's always a constant white, whereas on my WiiM Amp it changes and even dulls, based upon what it's doing.

That said the pro plus uses so little power I'm not fussed if it it's on 24/7 or not.

TBH the status light does seem a bit weird, given that on my pro plus it's always a constant white, whereas on my WiiM Amp it changes and even dulls, based upon what it's doing.

That said the pro plus uses so little power I'm not fussed if it it's on 24/7 or not.
On my Pro plus it's even weirder. It depends a lot on the angle I look at it. I suspect it's multiple LEDs and a plastic diffuser that doesn't quite blend them properly :)

I would personally also like a mode where:

* Device OFF -> LED off
* Device ON -> LED half as bright as it is now, it's really too bright in a dark room watching a movie.

For now I just keep it off and the 12V trigger controlling the rest of the chain is a good enough indication that things are on or off

On my Pro plus it's even weirder. It depends a lot on the angle I look at it. I suspect it's multiple LEDs and a plastic diffuser that doesn't quite blend them properly :)

I would personally also like a mode where:

* Device OFF -> LED off
* Device ON -> LED half as bright as it is now, it's really too bright in a dark room watching a movie.

For now I just keep it off and the 12V trigger controlling the rest of the chain is a good enough indication that things are on or off
Finally someone who understands:) This is pretty much exactly how I would like it to work. Like I said, 99% of all the audio products out there work like this.

It's interesting to hear about the differences in status lights between your devices. The variability in the WiiM Amp's light might provide useful feedback, but as you mentioned, the Pro Plus' low power usage makes its constant white light less of a concern. It's all about finding the balance between functionality and energy efficiency.

I would like to support Fralle with his request. With my Apple TV, it is exactly as you would imagine. When it is switched on, the LED lights up. When it is switched off, it does not light up. Actually quite normal and logical.
I've been asking myself since I've owned the WiiM why this was implemented differently here. Why does the LED have to light up even when it's switched off? What's the point behind it? The engineers at WiiM must have thought of something ... but what?

* Device OFF -> LED off
How about:
* device OFF -> LED ON half brightness
* device ON -> LED OFF
That's how the LED on the TV works anyway, and perhaps many other consumer electronics.
My Wiim sits next to my TV and it's really bright when watching TV in a otherwise dark room.

As a sw developer I know it's best to make things configurable, and it seems to me many users want to have things configured in a different way (see e.g. the 12V trigger behavior discussions). I would certainly like that option.

Back