Support for plex

Any updates upon this topic?
As per the roadmap you’ll find links to in the app, it’s being worked on.

As per the roadmap you’ll find links to in the app, it’s being worked on.

Awesome! Thank you! Can't wait to have this on my wiim mini.

New WiiM user here, and I'm loving so far. I have a large Plex music library plus TIDAL. I use PlexAmp on my phone and iPad, and it's quite good, especially when I can mix my local library and TIDAL together. I know it's been said before here, but my ultimate would be the equivalent of PlexAmp Headless on the WiiM. This gets me the same functionality as TIDAL Connect on the WiiM so I can get up to 24/192 into my high end stereo system. I don't want to cast because that limits things. I do use DLNA now, but I can't get at all my playlists, especially the ones that mix my local library with TIDAL.

Anyone played with Sonic Sage on PlexAmp? It's pretty awesome when you have a decent library plus TIDAL. I discover so much music this way. Being able to play all this directly on my WiiM Pro without having to turn on the TV and SHIELD to run Plex would be awesome. The PlexAmp interface is SO MUCH BETTER. Same way that TIDAL Connect interface is SO MUCH BETTER.

My vote for Plex on the WiiM. If we can get PlexAmp headless on the WiiM Pro, that would be an extra special bonus.

Yes, and an extra benefit is that with a Plex Pass, you can access your library anywhere; the Plex server does not have to be in the same location ac the Wimi player as long as there is web access.

+1 for this.

Yes we can use Chromecast but it's not gapless. Native support for Plex would be great.

New WiiM user here, and I'm loving so far. I have a large Plex music library plus TIDAL. I use PlexAmp on my phone and iPad, and it's quite good, especially when I can mix my local library and TIDAL together. I know it's been said before here, but my ultimate would be the equivalent of PlexAmp Headless on the WiiM. This gets me the same functionality as TIDAL Connect on the WiiM so I can get up to 24/192 into my high end stereo system. I don't want to cast because that limits things. I do use DLNA now, but I can't get at all my playlists, especially the ones that mix my local library with TIDAL.

Anyone played with Sonic Sage on PlexAmp? It's pretty awesome when you have a decent library plus TIDAL. I discover so much music this way. Being able to play all this directly on my WiiM Pro without having to turn on the TV and SHIELD to run Plex would be awesome. The PlexAmp interface is SO MUCH BETTER. Same way that TIDAL Connect interface is SO MUCH BETTER.

My vote for Plex on the WiiM. If we can get PlexAmp headless on the WiiM Pro, that would be an extra special bonus.
The idea is for the Wiim to have Plexamp not Plex itself. You will still need to have your Plex server powered on.

Yes, and an extra benefit is that with a Plex Pass, you can access your library anywhere; the Plex server does not have to be in the same location ac the Wimi player as long as there is web access.
You do not need Plex Pass to access your library remotely. That is available with a free Plex account.

Plexamp for All (free)
Included Features

Gapless playback
Loudness leveling
Sweet Fades
Advanced pre-caching
Smart playlists & stations
Unlimited streaming
Visualizers
UltraBlur Backgrounds & Themes
Android Auto & Carplay
Chromecast & AirPlay
Siri

Plex support just announced for the Audiolab 9000N streamer! I suppose it'll support Plexamp too.
If it's like Lumin it'll only be a PlexAmp endpoint, and even then may be missing features like:
"Plexamp DSP features like Loudness Leveling, Sweet Fades, Equalizer, Limiter etc. are not available when playing through LUMIN."

Having said that I can't imagine anyone wanting to use anything other than the PlexAmp app if you're in that ecosystem.

If it's like Lumin it'll only be a PlexAmp endpoint, and even then may be missing features like:
"Plexamp DSP features like Loudness Leveling, Sweet Fades, Equalizer, Limiter etc. are not available when playing through LUMIN."

Having said that I can't imagine anyone wanting to use anything other than the PlexAmp app if you're in that ecosystem.
I don't really care about all those gimmicks except maybe for fades if I want to do some background listening with specific playlists. As long as it can play bit-perfect & gapless, I'm happy :)

Hello,
Here's another vote for supporting plex as a media source. It should be possible considering other apps such as Symphonium have done it.
I would like to see native flex support too.

The implementation will be exactly like the Lumin :)

Also the question remains if you'll be able to use it without a Plexpass subscription/license. Headless playback on a Raspberry Pi for example does require it.

The implementation will be exactly like the Lumin :)

Also the question remains if you'll be able to use it without a Plexpass subscription/license.
In the Lumin documentation I linked to, I think it means PlexAmp (app) usage would require a Plex Pass subscription, although that documentation may have been from when the PlexAmp app was subscription only.

Requirements​

• LUMIN Firmware v16 onwards
  • Latest LUMIN App (iOS or Android)
  • Plex Account (free)
  • Plex Media Server (free)
  • Control app e.g. Plex app or Plexamp app (requires Plex Pass supscription)

I don't really care about all those gimmicks except maybe for fades if I want to do some background listening with specific playlists. As long as it can play bit-perfect & gapless, I'm happy :)

"Sweet fades" are a hard requirement. Completely agree that everything else is a nice to have, especially since I'm already leveling all of my files before dropping them into Plex.

"Sweet fades" are a hard requirement. Completely agree that everything else is a nice to have, especially since I'm already leveling all of my files before dropping them into Plex.
As long as they can be disabled, as it's not of interest to everyone. Personally not something I would ever use

They can definitely be toggled and they're disabled by default when listening to full albums. But, they're awesome for playlists and party mixes. Love not having dead silence as songs fade out when we have people over.

And still no one knows what 'Native Plex integration' means.

Come on @WiiM Support. People are hoping to use the PlexAmp app with the WiiM as a PlexAmp endpoint subscription free.

Yes the fades are nice to have, but you should be able to disable them. Currently this has to be done on the playback device itself. For the raspberry pi headless system, the setting needs to be accessed through the Plexamp web interface for example. Not sure how they'll incorporate those kind of settings in the WiiM or Audiolab devices

And still no one knows what 'Native Plex integration' means.

Come on @WiiM Support. People are hoping to use the PlexAmp app with the WiiM as a PlexAmp endpoint subscription free.
To understand what's in the realm of the possible, I would probably look to Lumin's implementation of Plex (as far as I'm aware they're one of the few, if not only, hi-fi companies to ship with Plex support) as a point of comparison. Wiim's Feb 24 roadmap references "native Plex integration" which leads me to believe it will probably be equivalent to Lumin's implementation.

If it mirrors that, you should not need Plex Pass for the mere act of "casting" from the app to your device. You would get gapless bit-perfect playback, but would miss out on "sweet fades" and other features that are specific to Plexamp.

I have no way of gauging if it's possible to "port" the headless Plexamp app for such hardware, or if that's something that Wiim are specifically persuing as part of their "native integration". However, it sounds like a lot of effort (and would be going above and beyond what the manufacturers of £2k+ hardware did for their "Plex integration"), so I'm more inclined to believe it will be like the above.

Back