Support for plex

Ditto - and a note to other forum members - please use the up arrow next to the OP post to indicate your support. I seem to be the first on to hit the up arrow to indicate a vote. As a community manager of another forum, indicating support for new features via voting is super helpful to dev teams to hear/see our feedback.

We have a tutorial on how to use the Plex server with WiiM device here. Please check it out.
i find that selecting anything other than 'folders' results in no music found errors with a library of less than a thousand albums. Folders is the only way I can navigate my library.

related note - I saw the chromecast support announcement for the Pro. Will this be extended to the Mini? Chromecast devices appear to be supported by Plex for streaming in the app natively.

related note - I saw the chromecast support announcement for the Pro. Will this be extended to the Mini? Chromecast devices appear to be supported by Plex for streaming in the app natively.
No, WiiM has said Chromecast requires a hardware chip, which isn't present in the Mini. Pro only.

i find that selecting anything other than 'folders' results in no music found errors with a library of less than a thousand albums. Folders is the only way I can navigate my library.

We'll look at how we can use the Plex with WiiM Mini better. Please stay tuned!

Regarding the support of chromecast on Mini, it's not feasible since the hardware spec. of Mini doesn't meet the requirements of Chromecast audio.

Regarding the support of chromecast on Mini, it's not feasible since the hardware spec. of Mini doesn't meet the requirements of Chromecast audio.

With the Chromecast support added to the WiiM Pro, I might actually sell both my Chromecast audio & Raspberry PI streamer if it allows to cast to it from Plexamp in original quality! Is this supported by the Chromecast protocol of the WiiM Pro? Currently, if I cast from Plexamp to my Chromecast Audio, my music is always resampled to 48Khz.

Integration with Plex(amp) would be amazing!

With the Chromecast support added to the WiiM Pro, I might actually sell both my Chromecast audio & Raspberry PI streamer if it allows to cast to it from Plexamp in original quality! Is this supported by the Chromecast protocol of the WiiM Pro? Currently, if I cast from Plexamp to my Chromecast Audio, my music is always resampled to 48Khz.

Integration with Plex(amp) would be amazing!
Hi Pieterv1,

Chromecast on WiiM Pro supports bit perfect output so your output will follow your source frame rate instead of resampling everything to 48kHz. We tested for many music services but we haven't do so for Plex. Will check with our team and see if Plex works in the same bit-perfect way.

Hi, after checking with our team, we can do the bit perfect output for the Plex server on WiiM Pro. However, there is one exception - if your content is uncompressed wav file, Plex will encode it and resample it to 48kHz before streaming to us. If your source is in the FLAC or other formats, it will stream it directly w/o the transcoding.

Hi, after checking with our team, we can do the bit perfect output for the Plex server on WiiM Pro. However, there is one exception - if your content is uncompressed wav file, Plex will encode it and resample it to 48kHz before streaming to us. If your source is in the FLAC or other formats, it will stream it directly w/o the transcoding.
My hi-resolution source files are mostly in ALAC, because I manage my local library with Apple Music. I think that's the reason why currently, when casting Plexamp -> Chromecast Audio, it's being transcoded... (I need to try with a file in AIFF though).

But, if I understand correctly, ALAC should not be a problem for the WiiM, I suppose? When casting, does the endpoint communicate to the application that transcoding is (is not) needed, depending on the file format? Or how does this work? :)

Thank you!

Last edited:
if wiim mini could support the plexamp linux headless feature it would be damned great. no longer need to use a rpi in // of the wiim to my dac to stream dsd and use the so nice looking features of plexamp look and feel webui using the remote app on a phone

if wiim mini could support the plexamp linux headless feature it would be damned great. no longer need to use a rpi in // of the wiim to my dac to stream dsd and use the so nice looking features of plexamp look and feel webui using the remote app on a
With Chromecast support though, you can easily access the WiiM Pro from the mobile Plexamp app already! At least if you're on Android :)
It would be nice still to be able to detect the WiiM from the Mac or Windows version of Plexamp though.

Back