Support for plex

Chromecast on WiiM Pro supports bit perfect output so your output will follow your source frame rate instead of resampling everything to 48kHz. We tested for many music services but we haven't do so for Plex. Will check with our team and see if Plex works in the same bit-perfect way.
This is great. Though not a complete solution, as desktops don't work with Chromecast (at least not mine). And obviously it leaves out the Mini. Adding support for serving as a true Plex client would be the ideal solution. As has been noted, a native headless PlexAmp instance would be the "template" to work from...if you can somehow get the source (or at least the full/official REST API docs) from Plex. They don't seem to be very interested in the whole "developer ecosystem" thing.

While testing Chromecast from Plex, i've discovered that it's not gapless unfortunately.. so native Plex(amp) support would be very welcome!
Also to be able to control it from the desktop apps & to play in lossless quality from the iOS app.

Enabled DLNA on PLEX and Wiim app can connect. It takes multiple touches to select anything , however, I can get results by MP3Tag items such as artist, genre, etc. Very basic and nearly impossible to use as it appears haptic touch is not mapped to the metadata so you have to randomly touch multiple places to get anything to respond. Nearly worthless interface with PLEX DLNA since touch is random. Plexamp interface would be great. Currently BubbleUPnP sends bit perfect via chromecast, so if Wiim can't get simple interface with DLNA I'll be returning the Wiim mini and Pro. Got a ticket open for 4 days now, no progress. Got until end of Jan to return to Amazon, so will give them a few more weeks to fix this.

On the bright side, confirmed bit perfect up to 24/192 and gapless, so those are positive. This is using Wiim app with mini and Pro then digitally connected by coax (Pro) and SPDIF (mini), i.e., not chromecast.

Try LMS. It’s a supercharged Plex, much better in most respects, and totally free. With the Material Skin and UPnP bridge plugins, it will control your WiiM with an excellent UI, from desktop, tablet or phone.

Try LMS. It’s a supercharged Plex, much better in most respects, and totally free. With the Material Skin and UPnP bridge plugins, it will control your WiiM with an excellent UI, from desktop, tablet or phone.
Plexamp is a whole different beast though! :)

It's aimed at music specifically so it's very organized, has smart playlists, fetches artist & album description, lyrics and so on. The main benefit is that I'm able to access my music from outside my home network.

I've looked into LMS before and I own a Synology NAS, but it can't be installed on DSM 7 anymore.. It seems that the overall support is not so great anymore?

Last edited:
Plexamp is a whole different beast though! :)

It's aimed at music specifically so it's very organized, has smart playlists, fetches artist & album info. The main benefit is that I'm able to access my music from outside my home network.

I've looked into LMS before and I own a Synology NAS, but it can't be installed on DSM 7 anymore.. It seems that the overall support is not so great anymore?
You can install it in the docker on dsm 7.

Well, hard to believe Plex doesn't support UPnP endpoints, but then neither does Roon, so...

Anyhow, here's a bridge for Plex that DOES support UPnP endpoints. Have fun!

Well, hard to believe Plex doesn't support UPnP endpoints, but then neither does Roon, so...

Anyhow, here's a bridge for Plex that DOES support UPnP endpoints. Have fun!

I have a stupid question :) So…. I have DLNA activated for Plex (so I can see it in WiiM). Not ideal as noted above (so I don’t really use it that way). If I install this on my Synology as a Docker image, what does this give me? I use Plexamp on my phone, tablets and Mac. Is UPnP better than DLNA? Just trying to wrap my head around this, and if it’s worth doing at all. Thanks.

I have a stupid question :) So…. I have DLNA activated for Plex (so I can see it in WiiM). Not ideal as noted above (so I don’t really use it that way). If I install this on my Synology as a Docker image, what does this give me? I use Plexamp on my phone, tablets and Mac. Is UPnP better than DLNA? Just trying to wrap my head around this, and if it’s worth doing at all. Thanks.
You have activated the ability for Plex server to be detected as the UPnP server by compatible endpoints. Module above allows for casting from Plex to UPnP endpoints.

You have activated the ability for Plex server to be detected as the UPnP server by compatible endpoints. Module above allows for casting from Plex to UPnP endpoints.
Sounds too good to be true 😍 (and it's a long requested feature on their forums)

Does it support gapless playback?

No idea. I've only read a description.
OK, I familiarized myself with Docker and installed the plugin, but it's not perfect. With BubbleUPnP acting as upnp client or Kodi on my TV, linking the instances to my account works well, but I'm unable to skip tracks. Still a promising plugin, but not for everybody (you need a higher tier Synology NAS with Intel cpu to be able to run docker)

Any idea if LMS with the UPnP bridge plugin will support gapless? I've managed to get LMS working through Docker on my NAS and have to say I'm very impressed so far! I'd still prefer to stick with Plexamp altogether though - just because I'll keep using it for remote streaming as well.

Last edited:
Any idea if LMS with the UPnP bridge plugin will support gapless? I've managed to get LMS working through Docker on my NAS and have to say I'm very impressed so far! I'd still prefer to stick with Plexamp altogether though - just because it supports remote streaming as well.
It supports gapless playback.

Does anybody actually know if Plex licenses the headless plexamp player to any third party hardware manufacturers? They don’t list or promote any existing hardware partners that I see from a cursory look (it’s a key part of Roon’s business). LMS/Squeezelite is a different story being open-source.
Since I’m not a Plex/Plexamp user how is the existing Plexamp headless player for the Pi?

Does anybody actually know if Plex licenses the headless plexamp player to any third party hardware manufacturers? They don’t list or promote any existing hardware partners that I see from a cursory look (it’s a key part of Roon’s business). LMS/Squeezelite is a different story being open-source.
Since I’m not a Plex/Plexamp user how is the existing Plexamp headless player for the Pi?
I installed Plexamp headless on top of my Moode OS installation and it worked as advertised. Now I had the great browsing capabilities of Plexamp and could do bit-perfect playback on my Raspberry Pi. It did however break my Moode OS installation sometimes 😅 I wanted to keep Moode for Spotify connect, webradio & Airplay. Of course, installation on top of another Music streaming distro was not really supported.

I really hope plex could be implemented because I now have the lifetime Plex pass 😀

You probably want to hit up Plex and ask about their plans to offer Plex audio capability to third party hardware audio players. In the meantime I second the idea to use LMS on your Plex server hardware and point it to your music directory. LMS with the material plugin and music/artist info plugin gives you everything except the MusicBrainz metadata lookup (assume you’ve already got decent tagging) and the remote use. But you can still use plexamp on your phone when remote or using another plexamp client.

You probably want to hit up Plex and ask about their plans to offer Plex audio capability to third party hardware audio players. In the meantime I second the idea to use LMS on your Plex server hardware and point it to your music directory. LMS with the material plugin and music/artist info plugin gives you everything except the MusicBrainz metadata lookup (assume you’ve already got decent tagging) and the remote use. But you can still use plexamp on your phone when remote or using another plexamp client.
Yes, that's how I've got it all set up right now. Looks clean and feels good!
Although playback on my Chromecast speakers or TV via UPnP is not gapless using LMS. Hopefully that's a matter of the players and will be better with the WiiM.

Back