What are you listening to?

We've seen him 2017 in Hamburg in concert. It appeared as one of his last times on stage, at least in Germany. People knew that horrible Parkinson took already over. The crowd celebrated him enthusiastically. For his life and for what he gave so many people for so long. Not for the performance that evening, to be honest. Anyway, an unforgettable night for us.

IMG_3023.jpeg

Not only the first solo album from a Beatle, but also the first Apple album!
Never forget, how we were excited by Dream Scene with its Indian vocals moving back and forth between the loudspeakers over backwards electronic loops. Sensational new then.
It's certainly a bit of an odd album, I never realised that it was almost entirely an instrumental album.

I thought I might as well play another weird George Harrison album, this one being his second release from 1969.

IMG_0318.jpeg

Lots of classical recordings released during the last weeks still waiting for their unveiling. Wednesday seems to be a good day to do so.
Hamelin's recordings of own works are among the best solo piano albums ever came to my ears. Absolutely stunning performance in brilliant sound!! Not easy to record a solo piano. Once more the booklet feature in Qobuz and after that also in the WHA is a priceless feature.
Short ;-) remark: If writing about sound impressions and not explicit mentioning vinyl or stream is always correlating to the CD! Knowing that a lot of people will say stream vs CD can not have audible differences or even the stream has to be better because every impact of CD player/transport isn't there. Most likely in a forum which is about streaming. Opinions may be different, still preferring a physical medium here. And debating this with me is waste of time ;-)
Last said that only records are recommended (many) or blamed (less, why showing bad ones?) which are available in at least one of the streaming services subscribed, which are Qobuz, Tidal, Apple Music and Spotify. Also doing a screenshot from streaming is much more convenient than taking a foto.

IMG_3028.jpeg

All but new! Still for many the reference Organ Symphony. One gets what is written on the package: Stereo Spectacular, created by the excellent sound engineers from RCA Victor in the late 1950s and the 1960s.

IMG_3029.jpeg

Still sorting boxes, too busy for more classical music today ;-)
First solo appearance after leaving Soft Machine for the first time. Recorded at Abbey Road Studios and produced from Ayers with Kevin Jenner. All that looked like a jam session with artists (rumors are f.e. Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett!) and its another nice example of Cambridge music from that years.

IMG_3032.jpeg

1000002376.pngWow, I can see colour again!! 😂 Green and Blue to begin with I guess - baby steps... absolutely spectacular stuff from my favourite homegrown Irish band right now! 🍀 This live version is even better than the album version... If you haven't already had a listen to this album, you owe it to yourself to check it out. 👌

View attachment 6752Wow, I can see colour again!! 😂 Green and Blue to begin with I guess - baby steps... absolutely spectacular stuff from my favourite homegrown Irish band right now! 🍀 This live version is even better than the album version... If you haven't already had a listen to this album, you owe it to yourself to check it out. 👌

Funny. Believe it or not, I've heard them in Hole 4 in Berlin in October last year on their Gigi's Recovery tour. Weather was simply horrible. Had a short chat with Cathal about his wonderful b/w Strat. But he refused to give me more informations about the pick-ups he used. ;-)
AFAIK they will support Pearl Jam in Berlin on Waldbühne in July. No chance for me, out for holidays then.

Hi All,
Decided to start my evening listening session with the album: Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes. She ....as a singer IMHO is one of the most underrated musical talents of my era. (hitting 63 in 3 weeks time myself, to put things in perspective;) ) Everybody probable knows her from the movie Dirty Dancing and the duets she did on that soundtrack. But....somehowe she always seems to operate under the radar, at least here in Europe. I am so glad I saw her live in Antwerp back in 1992 at The Night of The Proms performing Joan of Arc by Leonard Cohen. In fact.....that performance pointed me to Cohen and made me a life long fan of him. She had some serious collaberations with Cohen during their subsequent careers. Back to Jennifer Warnes. For me .... her voice has such a quality and emotional depth in it, while retaining some sort of innocence and sadness. Everytime I hear her participating on a Cohen song ( as a backing vocal or on her own at this album ) the hairs on my arms reach out to the sky. She does that to me, I can't help it. :) See this clip to see what I mean.

Enjoy your own musical gems and have a good one everybody.
Martin.

IMG_1918.PNG

Hi All,
Decided to start my evening listening session with the album: Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes. She ....as a singer IMHO is one of the most underrated musical talents of my era. (hitting 63 in 3 weeks time myself, to put things in perspective;) ) Everybody probable knows her from the movie Dirty Dancing and the duets she did on that soundtrack. But....somehowe she always seems to operate under the radar, at least here in Europe. I am so glad I saw her live in Antwerp back in 1992 at The Night of The Proms performing Joan of Arc by Leonard Cohen. In fact.....that performance pointed me to Cohen and made me a life long fan of him. She had some serious collaberations with Cohen during their subsequent careers. Back to Jennifer Warnes. For me .... her voice has such a quality and emotional depth in it, while retaining some sort of innocence and sadness. Everytime I hear her participating on a Cohen song ( as a backing vocal or on her own at this album ) the hairs on my arms reach out to the sky. She does that to me, I can't help it. :) See this clip to see what I mean.

Enjoy your own musical gems and have a good one everybody.
Martin.

View attachment 6756
Great post, thank you very much!
Beside that, and I did not cheat and look in the maps before, your location is near Groningen? ;-)

Back