2 Speaker Living Room - Yamaha -NS-IC800W Suggestions

wakabaki

Greetings everyone.

Hi guys, I have decided that I need to order my pair of Yamaha ceiling speakers. I want to be wise and go straight to my goal which is to use Spotify Premium with a WiiM Pro.

All I have at the moment is the speaker cable and mounting ready but I need to figure out which component will supply the sound to the WiimPro. My setup is a living room setup, as pictured here: IMG-2797.jpg
There is 1 more speaker location and that is it for my living room. No subwoofer at this time.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge if I am missing something but from what I can figure out, I need to purchase speakers, speaker wire, a WiiMPro and I need some type of receiver/amplifier, correct? I guess my specific question is related to the fact that this is only a 2 speaker setup and my reasoning behind that assumption is whether I really need a very fancy receiver or if the possibility exist where I can buy something small yet decent quality that I can wire my speakers to for power.

To be honest, I would like to keep the budget for this component to a maximum of the price of the WiimPro x 2, is that possible? or do I need to spend 3 times, 4 times or 5 times the cost of a WiiMPro to purchase this needed component. I am specifically excluding any specific name for the component like the terms, DAC, receiver, amplifier because I do not exactly know what I really need, and what I do not need.

I have iPhones and basically I want to send my music from Spotify, whether it is from a MacBook or a guest Android phone, over wifi through the WiiMPro capabilities.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading some good recommendations.
Cordially,
Marco

Hi,

The choice of amplifiers is very wide. How about a compact amplifier from SMSL or AIYIMA for your budget?

If you want to use the digital output of the WiiM Pro, the LOXJIE A30 may suit your wishes.

If you want product quality and after-sales support, I recommend Yamaha's entry-class amplifiers.

There are a lot of audio-savvy people here, so I think they can give you the right advice. Take your time to consider it.😉

Last edited:
Saying this may discourage the WiiM team, but it offers another option.

Yamaha AVRs (e.g. RX-V4A) can use Spotify connect. There is no problem using AVR in 2ch stereo. If you choose this, you don't need WiiM Pro.

The RX-V4A can also add speakers to other rooms with the zone function. It also has a simple room sound correction function, making it a very convenient amplifier. Of course, you can also add Wii M in the future.

I have to agree with Wiimer on this one (shock, horror!).
I'm not sure what a wiim for just spotify brings to this party.
Plenty of pretty cheap Marantz, Denon, Yamaha etc. amps, av or stereo, that do spotify connect.
If cost is a factor, 2nd hand is always a good option.

Does physical size matter? i.e. do you want / need a small amp?

For example, the Marantz NR1510, a 5.1 avr.
It's a few years old now, but, here at least, is on sale at 3× what a pro costs.
So if you were happy to spend 1× pro for a pro and 2× pro for an amp, well, this could fit the bill instead.

So, although a pro was firmly stated as your goal, maybe you need to explain to us why!

btw, I have a NR1510, and imo it'd be perfectly adequate, esp. if you can get one at that sort of price where you are.

I don't own Marantz, but many people say that Marantz is better suited to music than Yamaha.

If you are looking for a 2nd-hand one, The stereo amplifier NR1200 can also be done by Spotify connect too.

Hi,

The choice of amplifiers is very wide. How about a compact amplifier from SMSL or AIYIMA for your budget?

If you want to use the digital output of the WiiM Pro, the LOXJIE A30 may suit your wishes.

If you want product quality and after-sales support, I recommend Yamaha's entry-class amplifiers.

There are a lot of audio-savvy people here, so I think they can give you the right advice. Take your time to consider it.😉
Thank you very much. You have provided extremely valuable insight that will help me tremendously. I appreciate both of your responses. Have a blessed day.

Adding an even cheaper option if SQ isn’t your primary motive, a simple BT receiver / amplifier designed for in ceiling / in wall installation. You then just BT anything to it.

I have one of these in my loft feeding some bathroom speakers. The transmitter is actually an Echo Flex

For example, the Marantz NR1510, a 5.1 avr.
It's a few years old now, but, here at least, is on sale at 3× what a pro costs.
So if you were happy to spend 1× pro for a pro and 2× pro for an amp, well, this could fit the bill instead.

So, although a pro was firmly stated as your goal, maybe you need to explain to us why!

btw, I have a NR1510, and imo it'd be perfectly adequate, esp. if you can get one at that sort of price where you are.
Greetings and good evening. I am taking a look at your suggestion as I write. I really appreciate your recommendation also. Some of the reasoning behind going with an "all in one" dedicated receiver is that I feel that many times firmware updates cease to exist for older models. It seems like in the past, updates become scarce and before you know it the software you want to use no longer supports the equipment you have. I guess this is my way of diversifying my equipment setup so that I am not really "tied" into a particular component that I depend on for everything to work. My reasoning is, if WiiMPro can handle my WiFi/Ethernet Network connections with dozen or so applications like Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, etc., I´ll feel secure that they will continue to handle that portion of the connection well into the future, with support and updates. This is why I feel I need this middle component. Something elegant yet sufficient that will serve my needs to power the speakers and send the correct signals to my WiiMPro. Am I on the right track? Am I missing something important?

Last edited:
Adding an even cheaper option if SQ isn’t your primary motive, a simple BT receiver / amplifier designed for in ceiling / in wall installation. You then just BT anything to it.

I have one of these in my loft feeding some bathroom speakers. The transmitter is actually an Echo Flex

Hello. I initially was considering a Bluetooth solution but my reluctance to go this route has more to do with the way Radio Frequency signals travel. It is my understanding the Bluetooth signals are basically shorter distance radio signals like FM/AM radio or like WiFi for example. I understand that those signals generally travel horizontally and then drop, like a dome shape, downward. Being ceiling speakers, I feel that laying on the couch attempting to beam signals from my iPhone will not be very productive. I would like to depend on the ethernet internet connection network to transmit these signals through wired means versus directly sending signals. It is also my understanding that WiiMPro finds the network connections and directs the music app instructions within the network to get music playing via ethernet, in my case with a 300mb speed internet connection.

@wakabaki

I completely agree with your wise thoughts.

I can stream all kinds of things with YAMAHA AVR, but I still have a reason to use WiiM.

Easy to use and highly functional app. Flexible adaptability to add and evolve streaming services. Replacement costs when any device fails, etc.😉

Hello. I initially was considering a Bluetooth solution but my reluctance to go this route has more to do with the way Radio Frequency signals travel. It is my understanding the Bluetooth signals are basically shorter distance radio signals like FM/AM radio or like WiFi for example. I understand that those signals generally travel horizontally and then drop, like a dome shape, downward. Being ceiling speakers, I feel that laying on the couch attempting to beam signals from my iPhone will not be very productive. I would like to depend on the ethernet internet connection network to transmit these signals through wired means versus directly sending signals. It is also my understanding that WiiMPro finds the network connections and directs the music app instructions within the network to get music playing via ethernet, in my case with a 300mb speed internet connection.
I wouldn't do it in a critical listening situation either but it does generally work. Occasionally have to reboot the BT receiver / amp. This is the family bathroom btw. In my en-suite there are ceiling speakers wired to a full AVR in my bedroom as a Zone 2 and I can make it play anything I want.

Hi guys. I decided to try the Loxjie A30 for now. Let´s see how it goes. I plan on using the Digital Input to the Loxjie from the WiiMPro as @Wiimer suggested. Thanks

UPDATE: I actually just canceled my Loxjie A30 order after I realized it outputs about 20w @ 8 ohms. The ceiling speakers are 50w @ 8ohms so I need something like the Loxjie A30 but more powerful. Believe it or not, I am actually looking into the Yamaha WXA-50 but I am not wholly convinced that this model is up to par for 2023-2024 and beyond since it premiered a few years ago. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi guys. I decided to try the Loxjie A30 for now. Let´s see how it goes. I plan on using the Digital Input to the Loxjie from the WiiMPro as @Wiimer suggested. Thanks

UPDATE: I actually just canceled my Loxjie A30 order after I realized it outputs about 20w @ 8 ohms. The ceiling speakers are 50w @ 8ohms so I need something like the Loxjie A30 but more powerful. Believe it or not, I am actually looking into the Yamaha WXA-50 but I am not wholly convinced that this model is up to par for 2023-2024 and beyond since it premiered a few years ago. Anyone have any suggestions?

At first, I was not sure whether to put WXA-50 on the recommended list. As you say, it is currently out of production.

If you can get it second-hand, this review may be helpful.

In particular, I think user comments are helpful.
If you use the WXA-50, you may want to try analog input as well.

If I remember correctly, the WXA-50 had some minor glitches reported. Please try to study the various reviews in advance.

Wattage isn't everything - just ask those with tube amps!
My speaker specs say
SUITABLE AMPLIFIER POWER RANGE15 - 350 watts
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER250 watts
yet my amp says max 150w per channel.
It's almost painfully loud with the volume at 80%, but then again, the speakers are pretty sensitive.

The Yamaha site says this for the NS-IC800
  • 140W high power handling capacity
Put some grunt behind them ;)

P.S.

A "WXC-50" similar to the WXA-50 exists.

Note that the WX "C" -50 does not have a built-in power amplifier.😉

Wattage isn't everything - just ask those with tube amps!
My speaker specs say
SUITABLE AMPLIFIER POWER RANGE15 - 350 watts
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER250 watts
yet my amp says max 150w per channel.
It's almost painfully loud with the volume at 80%, but then again, the speakers are pretty sensitive.

The Yamaha site says this for the NS-IC800
  • 140W high power handling capacity
Put some grunt behind them ;)
Exactly.. They´ll need more power. What other options can we come up with similar to the Loxjie A30 but more powerful ? Or something similar to the WXA-50 but newer and with more Lifecycle remaining. I wrote to Yamaha support asking what the Lifecycle expectancy is on this unit. Waiting for a reply.

It is very difficult to predict the life cycle of a product.
I'm sure Mr EE will have some suggestions, but I'll also have a few suggestions.

With DAC
YAMAHA A-S301
DENON PMA-600NE
MARANTZ PM6007

No DAC
Topping PA5II + ( WiiM Pro plus ) or (Wiim Pro + DAC [ SMSL SU-1 ] )
SMSL AO200 + ( WiiM Pro plus ) or (Wiim Pro + DAC [ SMSL SU-1 ] )

The PA5II is very high-performance, but Chinese amplifiers have concerns about quality and support.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to predict the life cycle of a product.
I'm sure Mr EE will have some suggestions, but I'll also have a few suggestions.

With DAC
YAMAHA A-S301
DENON PMA-600NE
MARANTZ PM6007

No DAC
Topping PA5II + ( WiiM Pro plus ) or (Wiim Pro + DAC [ SMSL SU-1 ] )
SMSL AO200 + ( WiiM Pro plus ) or (Wiim Pro + DAC [ SMSL SU-1 ] )

The PA5II is very high-performance, but Chinese amplifiers have concerns about quality and support.
My 2p
The problem with any of these is that the DAC is what it is. It’s tied in to the amplifier. Why not get any amplifier that meets your power requirements and a separate DAC (which can be replaced later if required).

Back