2 Speaker Living Room - Yamaha -NS-IC800W Suggestions

My 2p
The problem with any of these is that the DAC is what it is. It’s tied in to the amplifier. Why not get any amplifier that meets your power requirements and a separate DAC (which can be replaced later if required).
It is very difficult to predict the life cycle of a product.
I'm sure Mr EE will have some suggestions, but I'll also have a few suggestions.

With DAC
YAMAHA A-S301
DENON PMA-600NE
MARANTZ PM6007

No DAC
Topping PA5II + ( WiiM Pro plus ) or (Wiim Pro + DAC [ SMSL SU-1 ] )
SMSL AO200 + ( WiiM Pro plus ) or (Wiim Pro + DAC [ SMSL SU-1 ] )

The PA5II is very high-performance, but Chinese amplifiers have concerns about quality and support.
Also don’t limit yourself to 2 channel amps. There are plenty of cheap ish AVRs (5.1) that can be configured to operate in 2.0 mode

The original post was asking for a pretty modestly priced amp, ideally at 2× the cost of a pro.
The only way I realistically see that happening for anything with a decent amount of oommph behind it is 2nd hand.
But at 3× or 4× the list does open up for new amps, or even much "better" 2nd hand ones.

I see Marantz pm6007 on a list above - I bought a 6006 precisely 'cos the 007 had come out, and the 006 was therefore going cheap.
It sounds pretty good imo - I used digital out from a bluesound node into the 006 as I preferred it to analog from the bluesound.
It drives my floorstanders quite loud enough!
And because it's not a streaming amp it can be easily 'upgraded' with an external dac without feeling like you're no longer using it for the original purpose.

I wish you luck - it's like an overstocked sweet (lolly) shop out there, and there are far too many choices!

The original post was asking for a pretty modestly priced amp, ideally at 2× the cost of a pro.
The only way I realistically see that happening for anything with a decent amount of oommph behind it is 2nd hand.
But at 3× or 4× the list does open up for new amps, or even much "better" 2nd hand ones.

I see Marantz pm6007 on a list above - I bought a 6006 precisely 'cos the 007 had come out, and the 006 was therefore going cheap.
It sounds pretty good imo - I used digital out from a bluesound node into the 006 as I preferred it to analog from the bluesound.
It drives my floorstanders quite loud enough!
And because it's not a streaming amp it can be easily 'upgraded' with an external dac without feeling like you're no longer using it for the original purpose.

I wish you luck - it's like an overstocked sweet (lolly) shop out there, and there are far too many choices!
Thank you for your post and suggestions. I just reviewed the Marantz. Looks like a very nice amplifier. I am not so sure how important this is but my Yamaha speakers are rated for 50w (rms) @ 8 ohms. I re-read your post again and decided to read a little deeper into it by researching Bluesound Node, wow pretty interesting components! More days ahead of reading. I need 50w (rms) at 8 ohms for sure and if I can get it in a quality product with DAC and Networking, that would be great.

Continuing...
I have found myself reading all day about the Yamaha A-S301 which just happens to slightly exceed the requirements boasting a 60w @ 8 ohms. This suggestion seems pretty close in line since my speakers are also Yamaha. I guess initially I was too confused with all their other receiver, AV models that I sort of blew past this option. Without jumping toward their A-S501 or beyond, I think I could be pretty happy with the Amplifier choice but, I still need to purchase my networking unit, WiiMPro or Plus to full fill my goal. I have already started to wonder if I need WiiM Pro Plus if my amplifier already has a built in DAC. I really like the idea of diversifying my components but then again, it seems kind of risky.

Also don’t limit yourself to 2 channel amps. There are plenty of cheap ish AVRs (5.1) that can be configured to operate in 2.0 mode
Thank you for this suggestion. I am considering it also. It just seems to place me in an even more complicated category when considering everything. In your opinion, what is a "very good" separate DAC you would consider using with a Topping PA5 for example?

It is very difficult to predict the life cycle of a product.
I'm sure Mr EE will have some suggestions, but I'll also have a few suggestions.

With DAC
YAMAHA A-S301
DENON PMA-600NE
MARANTZ PM6007

No DAC
Topping PA5II + ( WiiM Pro plus ) or (Wiim Pro + DAC [ SMSL SU-1 ] )
SMSL AO200 + ( WiiM Pro plus ) or (Wiim Pro + DAC [ SMSL SU-1 ] )

The PA5II is very high-performance, but Chinese amplifiers have concerns about quality and support.
@Wiimer
Great suggestions. I spent most of my last 15 hours reading all about each and every single model you suggested. You know, I am warming to the idea of a A-S301. It kind of makes sense for my speaker brand. So would I just need a WiiM Pro ? I read about the Pro Plus version recently released and it seems to be packed with new hardware details. I wonder what would happen if the amplifier already has a built in DAC? Which input would be best to use with the A-S301 in your opinion? Thanks a bunch.

@Wiimer
Great suggestions. I spent most of my last 15 hours reading all about each and every single model you suggested. You know, I am warming to the idea of a A-S301. It kind of makes sense for my speaker brand. So would I just need a WiiM Pro ? I read about the Pro Plus version recently released and it seems to be packed with new hardware details. I wonder what would happen if the amplifier already has a built in DAC? Which input would be best to use with the A-S301 in your opinion? Thanks a bunch.
In my opinion, I recommend the A-S301 and WiiM Pro Plus.

Perhaps the DAC of the WiiM Pro Plus is better than the A-S301. But I don't know which one you will love. You will be able to try and enjoy both analog and digital outputs.

With a remote, I think the price difference between Pro and Pro+ is small. That said, if you're on a budget, you can choose the WiiM Pro without any problems. 🙂

In my opinion, I recommend the A-S301 and WiiM Pro Plus.

Perhaps the DAC of the WiiM Pro Plus is better than the A-S301. But I don't know which one you will love. You will be able to try and enjoy both analog and digital outputs.

With a remote, I think the price difference between Pro and Pro+ is small. That said, if you're on a budget, you can choose the WiiM Pro without any problems. 🙂
Looks like a reasonable recommendation to me - you can only read so much about so much, and you have to make a decision at some point.
I'm sure most of us have been there!
Search for a good price - here in Aus, for example, the s301 ranges from A$500 to A$700, which is a significant difference (almost a Pro!).
But if you do go for the s301 and don't like it, blame Wiimer.... ;)

Sorry.
I was thinking about the price of Japan.
The A-S301 is A$372 at AmazonJP. 😅

In the price range offered by Mr Ee, there may be other options at the audio manufacturer in your country.

Last edited:
ok, spent most of my day wondering what the hype around Sonos is all about. I have to admit that I sort entertained the thought most of the day but I also have ran into quite a few negative reviews. I think I am back at the A-S301 plan.

So, just to make sure. If I get the A-S301, would most of you agree that I should be fine going that route and simply adding a WiiM Pro Plus ? Long exhausting day, thanks everyone for all the support. Speakers arrived today ! image_67173889.JPG

ok, spent most of my day wondering what the hype around Sonos is all about. I have to admit that I sort entertained the thought most of the day but I also have ran into quite a few negative reviews. I think I am back at the A-S301 plan.

So, just to make sure. If I get the A-S301, would most of you agree that I should be fine going that route and simply adding a WiiM Pro Plus ? Long exhausting day, thanks everyone for all the support. Speakers arrived today ! View attachment 1912
I'm glad the speaker arrived safely!

I recommended the A-S301 to you, but to be honest I'm a bit lost. If you want functionality in an amplifier, the AVR is a good fit.
But I think the A-S301 is a safe pure amplifier. Choose the one that best suits your musical life.😉

Given your initial statement "I would like to keep the budget for this component to a maximum of the price of the WiimPro x 2", then as a budget amp that has two digital inputs, two sets of speaker posts, a subwoofer out and gets quite positive reviews, I'm not sure you'll get much more for your money with anything else (new).
Yes, you could spend more and get something better - but how much more for how much better?
It is your money and your choice, so although we can, and have, provided a few options, don't let us tell you what to buy.
You really need to be comfortable with your own, informed, decision.

I'm glad the speaker arrived safely!

I recommended the A-S301 to you, but to be honest I'm a bit lost. If you want functionality in an amplifier, the AVR is a good fit.
But I think the A-S301 is a safe pure amplifier. Choose the one that best suits your musical life.😉
@Wiimer Good morning. I guess I am not sure which is the AVR. Could you please give me an example? Thanks.

@Wiimer Good morning. I guess I am not sure which is the AVR. Could you please give me an example? Thanks.

Good morning , @wakabaki.

Already proposed model
Marantz NR1510
Yamaha RX-V4A

other
Marantz NR1609
Yamaha RX-V385
Yamaha RX-V485
Etc.

Edit:
The RX-V385 has no network and does not support Spotify connect.

Last edited:
Back