Advice for cd ripping and usb storage...

Deladuro

Looking for some general hints and tips for how to start ripping and storing my 100 or so CDs.
My plan was to use my pc with Windows media player to rip CDs into flac, then put as many as I can get onto 64gb usb sticks.
Are there better ways to do this for the Wiim amp? Different file formats or storage options?
Any advice greatly appreciated before I plough on with my plans only to realize later there was a better way to do things.

Looking for some general hints and tips for how to start ripping and storing my 100 or so CDs.
My plan was to use my pc with Windows media player to rip CDs into flac, then put as many as I can get onto 64gb usb sticks.
Are there better ways to do this for the Wiim amp? Different file formats or storage options?
Any advice greatly appreciated before I plough on with my plans only to realize later there was a better way to do things.
For Windows IMO the best ripper is dbPoweramp Reference that costs about $30. There is a free version but the paid one gives you much better metadata and cover art.
Spend some time reading up about the config options but here are my top tips

Configure dbPoweramp to rip in FLAC level 5.
Write your files to an Artist / Album folder structure
Configure dbPoweramp to write file names as discno-trackno-title with disc-no and trackno being 2 digit with leading zeros this will ensure correct ordering even if playing from a folder.
Consider whether to apply replay gain tags. I would do so.
Consider whether you need album art in every file or one folder.jpg

You will easily get 100 CDs onto one 512gb USB stick.

Edit
Make a backup

+1 for dBpoweramp for its simplicity, and if you're quick you might be able to rip them all within the 21 day trial ;)

Alternatively use EAC with Mp3tag.

Avoid Windows Media Player as you really need something that supports AccurateRip/CTDB to verify your rips.

Keep all the metadata that's available to you initially as it's much easier to remove than it is to add later

Thank you for those replies - that's exactly the kind of knowledge I was hoping to tap into.

Back