Loud Clicks and Pops between songs

JSA1971

Hello All, it’s been a while since listening to music and I’m having this same issue as reported by many others. I signed up for Qobuz to see how the WiiM app worked with a native streaming platform, but between songs when the output res goes from 24/96 to 24/192 for example, there is a loud popping sound. I’m using optical out to a Schiit Modi 3 with the Pro output resolution set to 24/192, and I’ve tried the Sample Rate Switch Latency all along its range to no avail. There’s been quite a few firmware upgrades since my original trouble ticket at the end of April 2023 and no change in this behaviour. Has anyone had success with eliminating this popping problem? I do realize that everyone has different external Dac’s they are using, but it does seem to be a common problem. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I will also be submitting an additional trouble ticket.

Hello All, it’s been a while since listening to music and I’m having this same issue as reported by many others. I signed up for Qobuz to see how the WiiM app worked with a native streaming platform, but between songs when the output res goes from 24/96 to 24/192 for example, there is a loud popping sound. I’m using optical out to a Schiit Modi 3 with the Pro output resolution set to 24/192, and I’ve tried the Sample Rate Switch Latency all along its range to no avail. There’s been quite a few firmware upgrades since my original trouble ticket at the end of April 2023 and no change in this behaviour. Has anyone had success with eliminating this popping problem? I do realize that everyone has different external Dac’s they are using, but it does seem to be a common problem. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I will also be submitting an additional trouble ticket.
Hi JSA1971,

It’s a known issue for Schiit Modi 3 DAC when changing sample rate between tracks. We have contacted with them and they admit it’s known issue for this DAC. I can forward you their reply if you prefer. Thank you!

Hello, thank you for your reply. I would like to see their reply as well, thanks!

What I find odd is that if I have my iPhone or iPad connected directly to the Modi via The Lightning Adapter playing Apple Music which feeds the Modi the HiRes sampling rates (which also change) this popping does not happen. I’ve compared the same songs in succession with no popping.

If anyone can explain why this may be the case I’d love to read and learn something new. Otherwise it still seems that it’s a WiiM Pro handoff issue.

Hello, thank you for your reply. I would like to see their reply as well, thanks!

What I find odd is that if I have my iPhone or iPad connected directly to the Modi via The Lightning Adapter playing Apple Music which feeds the Modi the HiRes sampling rates (which also change) this popping does not happen. I’ve compared the same songs in succession with no popping.

If anyone can explain why this may be the case I’d love to read and learn something new. Otherwise it still seems that it’s a WiiM Pro handoff issue.
Sure. I’ll forward it to you whenever I get access to my PC. Please stay tuned!

Since your lightning port is using the USB audio, things can be different on their SPDIF interface.

Sure. I’ll forward it to you whenever I get access to my PC. Please stay tuned!

Since your lightning port is using the USB audio, things can be different on their SPDIF interface.
Ok, I’d considered that as well. Please forward any information you have at your leisure.

Thank You

Hi JSA1971,

Please find the past conversation between Schiit and us. Thank you!

1691459034077.png

Back