Amazon Music volume normalisation not accepted?

Nick_07

Hello,

I use the Amazon Music setting "volume normalisation". Wiim Pro does not seem to accept this setting.

Or does it?

Regards

Nick

Wonder if this depends on how you are playing amazon?
I think there are 3 ways for amazon
Alexacast
Chromecast
Wiim app

Which way are you using?

Have you tried one of the two other ways?
I no longer have Amazon to try it myself, but I'm sure someone who has will wake up soon...

Last edited:
No, I've never tried Alexa and I haven't tried Chromecast. I don't plan to either.

If the Wiim app doesn't do the takeover of the Amazon setting, I'll have to accept that.

But it is disappointing.

Regards

Nick

Why the reluctance to use alexacast?
It's just a couple of menus in the wiim app to set up, and then it's just like spotify or tidal connect, using the native amazon app.

Just speculating here, but where is the volume normalisation setting?
In the amazon app?
If so, is this an account setting, or a device setting?
i.e. if you had two devices, would you expect the normalisation setting made on one device to take effect on the other device too?

The volume normalisation setting only impacts playback on the device it’s set on, so you’d need to set it in the amazon music app and use AlexaCast from there to send it to the WiiM. There isn’t a setting in the WiiM app for it. In order to use AlexaCast, you need to link your WiiM app to Alexa in the WiiM Home app - note that this doesn’t mean you have to use Alexa voice interactions. However, I’m not 100% sure volume normalisation is used when casting even if the amazon music app has that setting on

Wonder if this depends on how you are playing amazon?
I think there are 3 ways for amazon
Alexacast
Chromecast
Wiim app

Which way are you using?
I have Amazon Music Unlimited and there is a fourth way to listen to it at max (24/192-Bit Perfect-Gapeless).
It is to use the native Amazon App and select the device via Amazon Cast.
This way it seems to me that the normalization of the volume works without problems.

The volume normalisation setting only impacts playback on the device it’s set on, so you’d need to set it in the amazon music app and use AlexaCast from there to send it to the WiiM. There isn’t a setting in the WiiM app for it. In order to use AlexaCast, you need to link your WiiM app to Alexa in the WiiM Home app - note that this doesn’t mean you have to use Alexa voice interactions. However, I’m not 100% sure volume normalisation is used when casting even if the amazon music app has that setting on
I knew it wouldn't be long before you woke up ;)
Although, with Oz clocks going back this morning it's probably later there than I thought.

I have Amazon Music Unlimited and there is a fourth way to listen to it at max (24/192-Bit Perfect-Gapeless).
This way it seems to me that the normalization of the volume works without problems.
So... just like my first option then. :)

Thanks for confirming that it appears to work using the Amazon Music app, although the method you describe isn’t a fourth way, but the first in the list - AlexaCast. :)

You could say using Alexa to make a voice request is a fourth way - despite using Alexa, that’s not AlexaCast as that’s strictly reserved for casting from the Amazon Music app.

I do try to be vague when necessary, or when I don't know what I'm talking about.
So, most of the time then...
Hence "I think there are 3 ways..." so I don't get roasted!

I read somewhere, that AMU and Tidal normalizations, work only if a song exceeds given max LUFS, lowering it and otherwise do nothing if a song is too low.
I tried for a month AMU and got the impression it normalizes nothing when alexa cast is used, in the same way how stream data and playing queue are not displayed but I could be wrong. Instead I'm shure normalization doesn't work with Tidal connect, that not even keeps play history and doesn't start autoplay after last song of a playlist.

Last edited:
Hello all,

first of all, thank you to everyone who has taken part in my topic.

Well, I'm learning that I'm not familiar enough with the functionality of Chromecast yet. I will change that. But Alexa is not something I want in my home. No matter if with or without voice control.

Hopefully there will be a Wiim App update/upgrade in the future that integrates a few more functionalities of the AMU App - including volume normalisation.

If Chromecast doesn't offer any possibilities, I will continue to accept the conditions.

Thanks to all

Nick

This isn't the same as having Alexa in your home.
You'd just be 'registering' the wiim with Amazon, allowing the Amazon music app to cast to it.
If you've enabled chromecast on the pro then choosing the cast icon in Amazon music will allow you to cast to it.

Edit - square cast icon = chromecast; round cast icon = alexacst.

Back