Android apple music

timattrn

Searching the forum has hits on my question but no definitive answers (that can find).
I can chromecast apple music from my pixel to the wim pro but I don't see bitrates above 44.1khz.
I can also cast to a Google ultra chromecast receiver and run the HDMI output through a splitter to get digital optical output, which I can then feed into the WiiM pro.
This sounds like higher quality audio but I can't see the bitrate being received.

Is it possible that the Chromecast receiver implemented on the WiiM pro is not capable of the higher bit rates that the Chromecast ultra is capable of?

See this link from a respected informed member on ASR (who also regularly posted in the WiiM Mini thread there) - looks like Apple/Google dumb it down to AAC as ChromeCast doesn’t support ALAC

And still hold in mind the very questionable CC handling of gapless playback
Amazon HD became available in Australia, which I didn't realise, so I'm trying that. As everyone here already knows, casting from the Amazon app clips the stream, but inside the WiimPro app, you get the max. For me, this is the first time I am hearing streaming audio at SACD quality. I am very happy. The Amazon Music app has a wonderful display of what it's doing: the quality of the source and the quality of the output.

Apparently the Chromecast protocol will go up to 96K and I guess 24 bit, but Apple chromecasting just gets stuck at 16 bits/44.1 KHz

However, I bought a USB C to Toslink optical out, and with that, Apple Music streams (or "outputs" since I guess a phone tethered to the DAC is not streaming) at high quality, so does the native Amazon app.
This is a clunky solution though. Clearly something bad about Apple's streaming approach. The shame for me is that Apple Classical is very good. Hopefully Apple allows an Wiim Home in-app client like Tidal and Amazon etc. The Apple Music situation is very disappointing.

The Apple Music situation is very disappointing.
For me it was getting a little better with my new iPad Air with the USB-C link. The former version only supported charging and some kind of data transfer and for music you needed the additional use of this camera kit. Now it is working with mobile DACs and gives every solution from the services, even this nasty MQA if the DAC is able. I checked it with a FiiO KA1, a Hidizs DH80s and the blue DragonFly, where you need an USB-A to USB-C adaptor. All worked perfect. Nothing to do with WiiM, I know, 😉 but maybe interesting for someone.

As everyone here already knows, casting from the Amazon app clips the stream, but inside the WiimPro app, you get the max.
On the contrary , I’d say everyone here knows that casting from the amazon music app using AlexaCast doesn’t clip the stream, but delivers a bit perfect stream up to 24/192 to the WiiM devices which has been their USP. You're perhaps still using chromecast.

To enable AlexaCast, make sure you’ve linked Alexa in the WiiM Home app and have selected hd/uhd via the cog icon settings page there.

Last edited:
Hopefully Apple allows an Wiim Home in-app client like Tidal and Amazon etc.
As has been mentioned before in the forums, native Apple support is only available from a select few companies like Sonos and Tesla who no doubt have thrown money at Apple, and WiiM have tried to get Apple to allow full 24/48 airplay2 from Apple Music but with little luck. Apple seem to go out of their way to make playback of their hi res offering very difficult

However, I bought a USB C to Toslink optical out, and with that, Apple Music streams (or "outputs" since I guess a phone tethered to the DAC is not streaming) at high quality, so does the native Amazon app.
While the Amazon Music app may appear to playing at high quality, it's well documented that its output to an external device is not bit perfect in that it plays all tracks at the maximum resolution of the device it's connected to. The "wonderful display" can be misleading in that respect. There's a very long post on Reddit on this, although the author has a slightly jaundiced view (in my opinion) of WiiM devices due to some issues with its firmware and their interaction with WiiM last year - YMMV as does mine :)

Back