Last Resort

The WiiMer

I sent the following to support although this is edited to improve clarity. I tried to include all answers to questions but inevitably I forgot something.

The short explanation is audio will not play. The long explanation is specifically AirPlay 2 refuses to work although devices can stream to it. Apple TV running tvOS version 17.3 developer beta one [applies to version 17.2 stable] via Control Centre can select the target device as well as Airfoil I use on macOS version 14.3 developer beta one [applies to version 14.2 stable]. I am totally blind and appreciate how easy and usable is the WiiM Home app for iPad in conjunction with VoiceOver although it truly needs cosmetic polish. I was able to do everything except pair the remote controller. My pro audio set up is as follows. My monitors are ADAM Audio A77X and SUB15 and my receiver is Focusrite Scarlet 18I20 Third Generation with modifications by Black Lion Audio. All things are connected via Mogami cables and Furman IEC power cables connected to either Furman F1500UPS units or Furman PST-8 units. The output on the interface is an Alva S/PDIF optical cable [just ordered a Pro Co S/PDIF coaxial cable today to troubleshoot further] and the input for the moment is the WiiM Pro Plus packaged S/PDIF optical cable that connects to my television. The input is not necessary although it is the only way anything goes into WiiM Pro Plus apparently. The sample rate on the interface is 48000 hertz because Apple TV refuses to work with anything greater than 48000 hertz. The sample rate and bit depth on WiiM Pro Plus is 24 bit 48000 hertz although for troubleshooting purposes I set it pro tem to 16 bits to no avail. Additional troubleshooting resulted in WiiM Pro Plus using wi-fi instead of ethernet. Originally I used the ethernet cable connected to Apple TV. Neither wi-fi nor ethernet fix this issue thus it is using ethernet again. I know the optical cable is connected to output and not input because the audio test after changing resolution plays the piano tune out of my studio monitors and audio from the television [connected to Apple TV via HDMI cable] plays. Moreover, channel selection is stereo and volume is set to fixed. All of these settings were configured after adding WiiM Pro Plus to home via Apple’s Home app. Access is set to same network and was set to anyone for troubleshooting purposes.

Something is the pattern here. Previously I used a Belkin SoundFORM Connect AirPlay receive and it worked after adding to the home via Apple’s Home app.. Literally I disconnected that and switched it with WiiM Pro Plus. I mention a pattern because before WiiM Pro Plus I tried the new Eve Play receiver. It connected to the network via ethernet but again AirPlay refuses to work although the device can be selected. Why is the Belkin SoundFORM Connect the only receiver that works for me? Why is WiiM Pro Plus not receiving audio? I am absolutely baffled. If I thought it were the optical port on the hardware then the piano test tune would not play nor would the static-like calibration noise. I have troubleshooted for hours and have not made progress.

Update 00: ChromeCast seems to work because Airfoil on Mac OS can transmit to it although it seems fixed volume prevents Airfoil from controlling its volume. I thought fixed volume was only for the in-app volume controls or on-board volume controls. This is okay for I wish not for bits to be reduced. After any given length of time audio stops however. This may be Airfoil or may be WiiM Pro Plus but the point is ChromeCast is not reliable.

Update 01: the inbuilt Pandora source produces no audio although just like everything else AirPlay it says it is playing [using the WiiM Home app on iPad connected to the same network of course] although I am not sure if AirPlay is being used here. Input source is ethernet and output source is optical out. Ethernet is selected because Pandora is coming from the internet and WiiM Pro Plus is connected via ethernet now instead of wi-fi. I am so beyond baffled at this juncture.

Update 02: Days ago I procured a Pro Co S/PDIF RCA cable but changing from an Alva S/PDIF Optical cable did not fix the AirPlay issue. As a last resort I tried to use bluetooth as input connected to my Mac as output and just like AirPlay bluetooth produced no audio. I have negative zero patience with this nonsensical disappointing box and thus packed it ready to return to Amazon for a full refund. I have never troubleshooted one device so much with no success.

Back