Bluetooth Receiver FiiO BTR3K: Codec SBC instead of AAC

jxrxme

Major Contributor
Hi all,
I've connected my bluetooth receiver FiiO BTR3K to the WiiM Pro Plus.
The receiver supports supports AAC, SBC, aptX, aptX LL, aptX HD and LDAC audio format.
And if I connect it directly to my iOS device the codec AAC is "negotiated" (like expected).
But not with WiiM Pro Plus. Only SBC is selected. I've submitted a support ticket via the app.
While waiting for a response I'm curious if anybody successfully uses the AAC audio format via bluetooth with a WiiM Pro (Plus)?

IMG_9036 (1).jpeg

I never managed to get another than SBC with lots of BT stuff and my Pro. Even with my FiiOs. I think AAC is a BT codec AND a file format. So may be the list of advertised formats by WiiM means not the BT codec.

I guess SBC is the only option when transmitting. I did some check with SMSL dac with Bluetooth capable of any flavor up to LDAC but no option to choice which protocol on WiiM so the connection goes only SBC.
Oh, you mean AAC is only supported when WiiM device is the Bluetooth receiver? That would be very disappointing… I just checked the manual which indeed only states AAC in context of WiiM as receiver. No statement to supported audio formats if transmitting via bluetooth.

Oh, you mean AAC is only supported when WiiM device is the Bluetooth receiver? That would be very disappointing… I just checked the manual which indeed only states AAC in context of WiiM as receiver. No statement to supported audio formats if transmitting via bluetooth.
I think so, I just connected my S22 to WiiM, using Bluetooth and it gone with AAC, without my choice. On android developer options i can then change to SBC. Anyway no protocol options on wiim side.
Perhaps this can be consolatory, some time ago I saw some lab tests that also compared the responses of SBC and AAC on Bluetooth and Apple excluded, the AAC version of Bluetooth on Chinese and corean devices, was a little bit lazy, with limited frequency response, so they recommended in those cases, to stay on SBC...

Until told differently I’ll accept that my expectation (transmitting AAC-bluetooth is possible) was simply a wrong assumption (due to the lack of documentation).
And I‘ll probably try a bluetooth transmitter supporting LDAC (WiiM Pro+ >> Optical Out >> BT Transmitter >> FiiO BTR3K). WiiM-SBC to FiiO BTR3K is noticeable worse than iOS-AAC to FiiO BTR3K.

I recently chat w. WiiM support with regards the BT codecs. Here’s what they replied

At present, our devices support only the SBC Bluetooth codec. It is normal to have delays when using Bluetooth. Please be assured that we are actively working on enhancing our technology and reducing these delays.

Wiim Ultra's Bluetooth supports LE Audio, so the LC3 codec may provide higher audio quality with lower latency than SBC. However, support for LC3 Plus is unknown. I've asked the @WiiM Support about this before and haven't gotten a clear answer yet.

Edit;

Last edited:
As I wrote I've checked the possibilities with my BT FiiO dongles and the WiiM too also and did not succeed. And I agree, SBC sounds indeed inferior against iOS AAC.
For curiosity only: Why the deviation via the WiiM? Do you have any source your phone or tablet can not deliver?

Customer support confirmed that only SBC is currently supported and implies there might be more codecs in a (far) future:

Currently, our devices are equipped to support only the SBC Bluetooth codec; AAC codecs are not supported at this time. We are committed to enhancing your experience and are actively exploring ways to expand our codec support in the future.

We appreciate your understanding and patience as we work towards this goal.

For curiosity only: Why the deviation via the WiiM? Do you have any source your phone or tablet can not deliver?
Three reasons:
1) I want to switch seamless between music from speakers to headphones (all connected to WiiM Pro+) in my home office.
2) I have older iOS devices and playback via bluetooth has stuttering/skipping if device does other things in parallel (since iOS 15 this is an issue).
3) I don't want to drain my devices (old) batteries for music playback.

Of course additionally I connect the headphones to my iPhone directly, too.

Back