Bluetooth codecs

I get what you’re saying. To fulfill this request, I would love it if WiiM creates a new Mini (‘WiiM Roon Mini’, ‘WiiM MiniRoon’, ‘WiiM MiniR’, ‘WiiM rMini’ 🤔 ) that is just a Roon Ready endpoint itself (which they discussed many months ago when they realized they couldn’t “fit” Roon software into the Mini due to low memory). A small device like that is perfect for really tight spaces (e.g. my bathroom speaker).
As a separate model perhaps - I didn’t like the harebrained suggestion to mess about with different versions of the firmware, dropping functionality to make space for Roon. Basically, if you want Roon , like if you want coax, Ethernet etc, get a Pro :)

@Brantome
Did that and am happy with it. But sometimes I think the world could do me a favor, only because I am such a nice guy 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
As a separate model perhaps - I didn’t like the harebrained suggestion to mess about with different versions of the firmware, dropping functionality to make space for Roon. Basically, if you want Roon , like if you want coax, Ethernet etc, get a Pro :)
But you remember that WiiM team answered that it would be possible and could be considered?

Now it's less important because Roon has been heavily delayed and another WiiM is available.

Agreed - but would appreciate as well a small form factor like the Mini as a Roon Ready endpoint (no bigger than that footprint for tight spaces). Probably wouldn’t happen.

While I'm not sure about aptX (think it can be done by both hardware and software), LDAC is software based.
From Sony's website - Sony - LDAC
"LDAC is compatible with a wide range of devices, because LDAC is a software codec."

From Wikipedia - LDAC:
"The encoder of LDAC is open-source under Apache License 2.0, so that any device can be coded to transmit LDAC streams without patent or licensing issues. The decoder design remains proprietary."
"Starting from Android 8.0 "Oreo", LDAC is part of the Android Open Source Project, enabling every OEM to integrate this standard into their own Android devices freely."

Hence my previous request in this thread about adding support so that music can be encoded in LDAC and transmitted to say headphones or other receivers that already support LDAC decoding..
It is true.
Sample - latest Amazons FireTV 4k Max firmware has added LDAC codec support to its Bluetooth stack.
Regardless of the quality, sense or nonsense of this codecs I am sure Qualcomm will not give away any aptX license for free. No idea about how high the charges will be and what influence on the purchase price from a WiiM would it have. And no idea if, or how Sony handles LDAC, but all this companies are not well known for generosity. Different to having only good ideas their job is to create money.
Second point: For this wireless headphone thing the WiiM has to be a BT transmitter. Or am I as often 😉 wrong?

And yes, my second point was wrong, sorry.
In the 2014–2015 years, when the aptx set of codecs had a new Qualicomm ownership from CSR, the unconfirmed rumour was that the new license AptX cost of encoding was quite low per device (few dollars); and the aptx decoding licensee was free of charge, if being software-based for phone devices.

Attachments

• 29717667~2.jpg
    29717667~2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back