WiiM Amp Bluetooth Input -- is it possible?

Fasolto

So, I'm certain this is a moronic question. But I honestly can't find any proper answer to it.

In short: Can I connect a device via Bluetooth to the WiiM Amp to stream audio from the device to the output of the WiiM?

Either it is possible, and yet so obviously possible that nobody seems to make mention of this capability as far as I can see, with even the spec sheet of the WiiM Amp not listing Bluetooth audio as an input … or the reason I can't find anything about it isn't my poor Google abilities, but rather that it just can't be done.

I understand the WiiM Amp has Bluetooth for initial setup, for the remote, and for use as a source of audio to transmit to Bluetooth headphones, but I can't for the life of me find anyone mentioning the Bluetooth input possibilities. Please help my crazy mind rest at ease.

Followup: if it is possible, how's the latency? What codecs does it support?

Thanks so much for reading and (hopefully!) replying.

Yes, absolutely, I use it all the time with the SBC-XQ codec, but it also supports AAC. Latency is usually only a split second, but as always with Bluetooth, its performance is highly dependent on how many other wireless signals are crossing its path.

Thanks so much to both of you. As I said, I was sure it was a stupid question, but I wanted to be 100% sure before buying. Most grateful for your inputs.

Thanks so much to both of you. As I said, I was sure it was a stupid question, but I wanted to be 100% sure before buying. Most grateful for your inputs.
Where do you want to use it for then?
Is bluetooth a priority?

In addition to using the WiiM Amp primarily for music, I desired to connect it to my Nintendo Switch via Bluetooth to playback the game console's audio output when in handheld mode. For this purpose, the WiiM Amp was appropriate.

Yes, absolutely, I use it all the time with the SBC-XQ codec, but it also supports AAC. Latency is usually only a split second, but as always with Bluetooth, its performance is highly dependent on how many other wireless signals are crossing its path.
Does the wiim amp support sbcxq?

Does the wiim amp support sbcxq?
Yes. Pretty much everything that supports SBC supports SBC-XQ . The SBC protocol doesn't actually set a limit on how high the bitrate can go (in theory, it can go up to 730 kbps, which is transparent even to those with ears made of solid gold). The recommended bitrate is 320kbps (in practice often lower), but most devices have strong enough Bluetooth chips to transmit and receive higher bitrates. SBC-XQ is simply a way to force a higher bitrate on the SBC protocol, it's not really a separate protocol.

The Wiim Amp supports SBC-XQ, and for that matter so do Wiim's other products, like the Wiim Pro. Here's a screenshot of the Pro with SBC-XQ. I could also make one of the Amp, but the only difference would be that it would say 'Amp' instead of 'Pro'.

1708859732717.png

There's an article about SBC-XQ over here:

The server seems to be down at the moment, so if it doesn't work, here's a backup link:

@es6rd6z .
Thank you very much for your reply.

I did read this on redddit according to sbcxq:
The feature is available on all devices with LineageOS support, and can be used by the overwhelming majority of existing Bluetooth playback devices. It works best with cheaper audio devices that do not support additional codecs - aptX, aptX HD, AAC or LDAC.

I wonder i this could be a problem when using devices which support aptx codecs.
I ask this because my Dali causes some BT stutter ,where the Jabras work without any problems.
Jabra dont support aptx in the elite 7 pros..
Dont know if this has anything to do on this matter?

How does the Amp,app select the sbcxq codec?
I wonder why lineageOS dont support it anymore but that is off topic here . I did read this somewhere..

How does this work? Do you have to select the sbcxq codec on your phone?

Last edited:
@es6rd6z .
Thank you very much for your reply.

I did read this on redddit according to sbcxq:
The feature is available on all devices with LineageOS support, and can be used by the overwhelming majority of existing Bluetooth playback devices. It works best with cheaper audio devices that do not support additional codecs - aptX, aptX HD, AAC or LDAC.

How does the Amp,app select the sbcxq codec?
I wonder why lineageOS dont support it anymore but that is off topic here . I did read this somewhere..

How does this work? Do you have to select the sbcxq codec on your phone?
In my case I just select the SBC-XQ codec on my computer (I only have to do it once, after that it's saved as the default codec for that Wiim device). The way Bluetooth works is that the Wiim Amp says "hello, I support receiving SBC and AAC". When you want to connect a Bluetooth device to it, your device will first listen to the Amp and find out it supports receiving SBC and AAC. If you select SBC-XQ on your device, it will tell the Amp "hello, I'm sending you SBC audio", and just force the extra bits in the stream to make it 'XQ'.

If i connect my Dali headphone i dont get that message.
I dont know what codec the headphone is receiving.
With the Jabras i dont get the message either.
Maybe i have to try again but i dont remember getting the message..

@es6rd6z

For clarity you are describing transmission to a Wiim not the situation when the Wiim is the source.
Connecting Bluetooth headphones to a Wiim is not going to connect using SBCXQ
And the reason that it works for you is that your computer has software installed to transmit using SBCXQ

@es6rd6z

For clarity you are describing transmission to a Wiim not the situation when the Wiim is the source.
Connecting Bluetooth headphones to a Wiim is not going to connect using SBCXQ
And the reason that it works for you is that your computer has software installed to transmit using SBCXQ
Ok i was wondering how it worked then.
So when the amp is transmitting you have SBC and AAC.👍

Back