Bluetooth codecs

Thanks for confirming. Would love support for aptX HD / Adaptive or better in next version of WiiM for higher quality listening with bluetooth headphones that support it (my Sennheiser Momentum 4’s supports aptX Adaptive).

I'd like to see that as a wish list item. It would improve overall fidelity.

The hardware of WiiM Pro is capable of aptx and LDAC. Why not offer these codecs support.
Will help users use bluetooth enabled headphones at the best quality.

The hardware of WiiM Pro is capable of aptx and LDAC. Why not offer these codecs support.
Will help users use bluetooth enabled headphones at the best quality.
Don’t those potentially require a different Bluetooth chipset?

Don’t those potentially require a different Bluetooth chipset?
While I'm not sure about aptX (think it can be done by both hardware and software), LDAC is software based.
From Sony's website - Sony - LDAC
"LDAC is compatible with a wide range of devices, because LDAC is a software codec."

From Wikipedia - LDAC:
"The encoder of LDAC is open-source under Apache License 2.0, so that any device can be coded to transmit LDAC streams without patent or licensing issues. The decoder design remains proprietary."
"Starting from Android 8.0 "Oreo", LDAC is part of the Android Open Source Project, enabling every OEM to integrate this standard into their own Android devices freely."

Hence my previous request in this thread about adding support so that music can be encoded in LDAC and transmitted to say headphones or other receivers that already support LDAC decoding..

While I'm not sure about aptX (think it can be done by both hardware and software), LDAC is software based.
From Sony's website - Sony - LDAC
"LDAC is compatible with a wide range of devices, because LDAC is a software codec."

From Wikipedia - LDAC:
"The encoder of LDAC is open-source under Apache License 2.0, so that any device can be coded to transmit LDAC streams without patent or licensing issues. The decoder design remains proprietary."
"Starting from Android 8.0 "Oreo", LDAC is part of the Android Open Source Project, enabling every OEM to integrate this standard into their own Android devices freely."

Hence my previous request in this thread about adding support so that music can be encoded in LDAC and transmitted to say headphones or other receivers that already support LDAC decoding..

If, as you say, Linkplay can use LDAC without having to pay anything for Sony, that's a welcome feature.

However, according to Sony's website, the use of LDAC requires an NDA, license agreement and certification. I think there may be some fees in the licensing process. It is also not free to display a high-resolution logo sticker on the product.

Edit:
Conditions may also change depending on the product on which LDAC is installed. For example, Android phones and wireless earphones (including the WiiM).

Last edited:
Regardless of the quality, sense or nonsense of this codecs I am sure Qualcomm will not give away any aptX license for free. No idea about how high the charges will be and what influence on the purchase price from a WiiM would it have. And no idea if, or how Sony handles LDAC, but all this companies are not well known for generosity. Different to having only good ideas their job is to create money.
Second point: For this wireless headphone thing the WiiM has to be a BT transmitter. Or am I as often 😉 wrong?

And yes, my second point was wrong, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of the quality, sense or nonsense of this codecs I am sure Qualcomm will not give away any aptX license for free. No idea about how high the charges will be and what influence on the purchase price from a WiiM. And no idea if or how Sony handles LDAC, but all this companies are not well known for generosity. Different to having only good ideas their job is to create money.
Second point: For this wireless headphone thing the WiiM has to be a BT transmitter. Or am I as often 😉 wrong?
Hi Achim1812,

WiiM has the capability to operate as a Bluetooth transmitter, allowing wireless connectivity to your Bluetooth receiver devices.

Just checked, works flawless with Sony and Apple BT headphones.
But it would be great to read about a scenario where the WiiM enters playground here? Why not use the BT connectivity of your phone, tablet or MAC f.e.?
As usual I am very eager to learn..

If, as you say, Linkplay can use LDAC without having to pay anything for Sony, that's a welcome feature.

However, according to Sony's website, the use of LDAC requires an NDA, license agreement and certification. I think there may be some fees in the licensing process. It is also not free to display a high-resolution logo sticker on the product.

Edit:
Conditions may also change depending on the product on which LDAC is installed. For example, Android phones and wireless earphones (including the WiiM).

Hmm, while it looks like there is a process and license cost involved I think it has to do with Bluetooth Hardware related stuff and possibly LDAC decoding.
If you click on the Accept button on the Sony - LDAC page to start the licensing process, it takes you to a form with "Planned Bluetooth Chipset" as a required field - hence my assumption.

Think as per the wiki page the statement that the encoder of LDAC is open-source under Apache License 2.0 might be valid as well, as I see some projects on github for it. e.g.
https://github.com/eggman/ldacenc
https://github.com/lagerimsi-ds/debian-buster_bluetooth_aptX-LDAC
https://github.com/wdv4758h/libldac

I'm not sure if this means if it is free or involves licensing, but WIIM being in the manufacturing industry might be in a better position to clarify for us..

Just checked, works flawless with Sony and Apple BT headphones.
But it would be great to read about a scenario where the WiiM enters playground here? Why not use the BT connectivity of your phone, tablet or MAC f.e.?
As usual I am very eager to learn..
For me personally, the WiiM is an appliance that I use as a standalone music transmitting device to my Bluetooth headphones so that I’m not tied down with a wire (I feel like I’m in the minority here on this point), and not being tied to only 1 particular device such as my phone, tablet, etc. By having WiiM as an appliance providing this music to my headphones, I can then use any device with the WiiM (or Roon) app and/or WiiM remote control to control it (along with the physical WiiM device controls). If I was tied to using my phone, tablet, etc. for bluetooth music, then I can ONLY use that same device to control it. Flexibility is key for me (and other Bluetooth headphone fans - I know you’re out there!), and I would love to have the highest bluetooth resolution possible (e.g. aptX HD) in the next unannounced and completely rumored ‘WiiM Pro Ultra’ (credit: @Wiimer ) 😉 The music sounds great already using Bluetooth from WiiM Pro to Bluetooth headphones, and the range is surprisingly strong (beats my RF headphones) - but would love for bluetooth resolution to get even higher to maximize the high fidelitiness (fake word, I know - but you get it).

For me personally, the WiiM is an appliance that I use as a standalone music transmitting device to my Bluetooth headphones so that I’m not tied down with a wire (I feel like I’m in the minority here on this point), and not being tied to only 1 particular device such as my phone, tablet, etc. By having WiiM as an appliance providing this music to my headphones, I can then use any device with the WiiM (or Roon) app and/or WiiM remote control to control it (along with the physical WiiM device controls). If I was tied to using my phone, tablet, etc. for bluetooth music, then I can ONLY use that same device to control it. Flexibility is key for me (and other Bluetooth headphone fans - I know you’re out there!), and I would love to have the highest bluetooth resolution possible (e.g. aptX HD) in the next unannounced and completely rumored ‘WiiM Pro Ultra’ (credit: @Wiimer ) 😉 The music sounds great already using Bluetooth from WiiM Pro to Bluetooth headphones, and the range is surprisingly strong (beats my RF headphones) - but would love for bluetooth resolution to get even higher to maximize the high fidelitiness (fake word, I know - but you get it).
Quite sure I am not a typical WiiM user.
As soon as the WiiM Pro had got the Roon certification its only remaining job here is to be the endpoint. Nothing more needed. All the really important stuff is done by the following chain.
No inbuilt DAC, no more services integration because my only need is Qobuz. No handling of stored music by the WiiM, no multi-room, no smart functionality, no Chromecast, no Airplay, no Amazon Cast, no Spotify or Tidal Connect. No radio stations. Only the necessary and not so overloaded endpoint for Roon.
As long as this remains working so flawless as it does from the first day of the certification all is as perfect as it could be. If Qobuz, WiiM or Roon will fail someday (hopefully not) it will be early enough to think further.
If anyone thinks I should keep my fingers still for things I am not using.....she or he might be right. But my curiosity still exists and therefore my why-questions are not meant as criticism. And I do not need explanations.! An explanation is appreciated, but a "because I want it" is more than enough 😉

And may be the day will come that a scenario pops up and makes me think "this is exactly what I need and did not know for so long!"

No inbuilt DAC, no more services integration because my only need is Qobuz. No handling of stored music by the WiiM, no multi-room, no smart functionality, no Chromecast, no Airplay, no Amazon Cast, no Spotify or Tidal Connect. No radio stations. Only the necessary and not so overloaded endpoint for Roon.
The above = NO FUN 🤣

Ha… seriously though, that was the first thing that entered my mind reading the above … “awww man … he’s no fun!”, but … I do understand and can appreciate where you’re coming from (respectful hat off to you, kind sir). I actually use all of the above features with the WiiM, which is why I’m such a fan (and hope that SiriusXM gets added soon as well to fulfill my ultimate dream … well, one of them anyways … I think I’m allowed multiple ultimate dreams). And Roon was very important for me too … I have 2 Pros so far, and will soon get the Pro Plus all so that I can have 3 Roon Ready endpoints(!) to cover most areas (so that Roon works MUCH nicer than my Sonos system which misbehaves often with it). Roon is rock solid using WiiM Pro as endpoints.

One more of the many, many advantages the WiiM delivers. It can do so much. My remaining fear is that someday too much is too much. May be I am too pessimistic.
As in my professional life: Let people do what people can do better than others. The last universal genie died with da Vinci 😉
Can be very good adapted to music reproduction.
Roon for streaming as a no brainer. With the WiiM Pro for me and a Uniti Atom for my wife.
Sonos for TV and the rare use of multi room. Multi in that case means kitchen.
For the important things decent classical old fashioned hifi systems.

One more of the many, many advantages the WiiM delivers. It can do so much. My remaining fear is that someday too much is too much. May be I am too pessimistic.
I get what you’re saying. To fulfill this request, I would love it if WiiM creates a new Mini (‘WiiM Roon Mini’, ‘WiiM MiniRoon’, ‘WiiM MiniR’, ‘WiiM rMini’ 🤔 ) that is just a Roon Ready endpoint itself (which they discussed many months ago when they realized they couldn’t “fit” Roon software into the Mini due to low memory). A small device like that is perfect for really tight spaces (e.g. my bathroom speaker).

My "dream machine" from WiiM would be a streamer only with
- only the necessary software to get the certification from Roon
- USB out to add some possibly USB only DACS
- Coax and optical out
- a solid power supply, not this USB toy
- all that in such a nice package the Pro is already, no Raspberry like boxes.
Of course I know that the market for such a bare-bone is obviously too small.
But here are so many wishes written down that I do not hesitate to have mine 😉

And one more if I may add to your list:
- HDMI output for multichannel audio

Back