Can WiiM help as a Bluetooth passthrough to various BT speakers?

Karl

I've been reading through the docs and I think WiiM Pro or mini *might* solve the problem I've got. I've ended up with an assortment of Bluetooth speakers scattered around the house, including two bathroom fans with them built in, but I can't really reliably use them with my phone because the minute one of them turns on it pairs to my phone and takes over as primary output. So I just don't have the bathroom fans paired because they take over any time that switch flicks, and leave the speakers for my record player on all the time (because if I flip them on suddenly my phone audio is pushing through them over a record).

I've been looking for some kind of middle-man and wonder if WiiM is a workable solution. I *don't* need multiple speakers to sync and play at the same time, I just need a moderator or receiver to pair to all the speakers that I can then pair to with my phone and route audio to the speaker I want at the moment.

Does that sound like it's in WiiM's wheelhouse?

I've been reading through the docs and I think WiiM Pro or mini *might* solve the problem I've got. I've ended up with an assortment of Bluetooth speakers scattered around the house, including two bathroom fans with them built in, but I can't really reliably use them with my phone because the minute one of them turns on it pairs to my phone and takes over as primary output. So I just don't have the bathroom fans paired because they take over any time that switch flicks, and leave the speakers for my record player on all the time (because if I flip them on suddenly my phone audio is pushing through them over a record).

I've been looking for some kind of middle-man and wonder if WiiM is a workable solution. I *don't* need multiple speakers to sync and play at the same time, I just need a moderator or receiver to pair to all the speakers that I can then pair to with my phone and route audio to the speaker I want at the moment.

Does that sound like it's in WiiM's wheelhouse?
Sorry, I may not have understood your question. WiiM can't transmit and receive Bluetooth at the same time. It works only for receiving or only sending.

Bluetooth for the most part does not support multicasting to multiple receiving devices from a single transmitter.
There is a technology . Auracast, that will do this over Bluetooth but its still in its infancy.

It may be worth contacting these manufacturers about their Auracast products

Some manufacturers e.g. Bose, do have ways of sending content to multiple instance of their own speakers/headphones over Bluetooth but its a customised approach that may not work with OEM speakers .

Yeah Wiimer that's what I would need, something to relay so it would need to simultaneously receive and send.

I'll look into Auracast. I don't really need simultaneous multi-cast, would just want whatever intermediary appliance to remember multiple devices but only output to one at a time.

Yeah Wiimer that's what I would need, something to relay so it would need to simultaneously receive and send.

I'll look into Auracast. I don't really need simultaneous multi-cast, would just want whatever intermediary appliance to remember multiple devices but only output to one at a time.
You may be able to do it by using two WiiM and relaying it with an optical cable. One WiiM is used as a transmitter and the other as a receiver. However, if you only need Bluetooth, you can use a cheaper Bluetooth transmitter to achieve your goal.

I'm starting to talk myself into seeing what I can put together on my own with a Raspberry Pi. Been a while since I've had a little project :D

Hi Karl,

if you decide to go RPi route then you may want to take a look at Home assistant that has some Bluetooth integration smarts.

Back