Confused about Tidal

GLM

Hi. I Don't have any Wiim devices yet but want to find out a bit more about how you use the Android app.
Reading some of the threads it appears that if you use Apple music or Spotify then you use their own app and select Wiim as the output device from the icon in the app.
Tidal never had this feature so how do you play a file from Tidal over the Wiim device via Tidal Connect?
Do you use Tidal app or play from the Wiim app?

Hi. I Don't have any Wiim devices yet but want to find out a bit more about how you use the Android app.
Reading some of the threads it appears that if you use Apple music or Spotify then you use their own app and select Wiim as the output device from the icon in the app.
Tidal never had this feature so how do you play a file from Tidal over the Wiim device via Tidal Connect?
You can do either - if you prefer to use the Tidal app, you merely choose the WiiM device as a target speaker. If you use the WiiM app, you choose Tidal from its Browse page then choose which tracks you wish to play.

While what you say is correct about Spotify and Apple Music, the former does have a menu entry in the WiiM app but that simply opens the Spotify app from which you Connect directly to your WiiM device. Apple Music is slightly different in that you can only use its app and Airplay to a WiiM device, which isn’t a true Connect/cast mechanism as it still relies on your phone being in the loop.

No. If you click My Collection, for example, the you get Playlists - Albums - Tracks - Artists, and so on. (see the screenshot above)

I read the question as “how do you play a file from Tidal over the Wiim device via Tidal Connect?”…

I see what you mean about Connect.

I'm old school where everything has its place - none of this fancy connect this, connect that.

I'm using Tidal connect. As Brantome wrote, from tidal app, WiiM can be selected as target device.
Sincerely speaking, I don't see any reason to not use Tidal Connect, it's far better than use any other third part interfaces, that loose some crucial features, like lyrics, play similar music, daily disclvery and other suggestions.

I'm using Tidal connect. As Brantome wrote, from tidal app, WiiM can be selected as target device.
Sincerely speaking, I don't see any reason to not use Tidal Connect, it's far better than use any other third part interfaces, that loose some crucial features, like lyrics, play similar music, daily disclvery and other suggestions.
I agree - use tidal app.
Apart from one use case...
I sometimes use bubbleupnp to shuffle play all the tracks within all My Mixes.

It's better except you need to initiate it AFTER you start playing a song and then it will time out after stopping the music for a certain amount and then you have to restart the song and then reinititate it again. Feels clunky to me but I still use it.

It's better except you need to initiate it AFTER you start playing a song and then it will time out after stopping the music for a certain amount and then you have to restart the song and then reinititate it again. Feels clunky to me but I still use it.
I never experienced such issues or needed to follow any particular sequence. I use two different mobiles, ios and Android and can use or switch from one to other, in a seamless way during playback, before or after. Maybe is just lucky.

Mine has also disconnected itself so on occasions. But I’ve never lost the stream. A quick tap to reconnect sorts it.
You’re right about having to start play mode in order to select a target device. Unless I’m doing it wrong.

Well I think I've sussed it out now.
The "Device" icon on both apps should give you the option to select Wiim as the output device.

The confusion arose because people seem to use the terms "Tidal" and "Tidal Connect" as if they are two separate apps but my understanding is that the "connect" feature is built into the app but only activated when you pair your device with a streamer which supports it.

Thanks for all the replies.
G

Mine has also disconnected itself so on occasions. But I’ve never lost the stream. A quick tap to reconnect sorts it.
You’re right about having to start play mode in order to select a target device. Unless I’m doing it wrong.
I don't loose the stream. It's just that after being paused for a while (maybe 30minutes) when I start the song again I have to reinitiate Tidal Connect with the Wiim while I listen to the screechy sound of my music being played on my mobile device. This is clunky. I have a dedicated device (Ipad mini) to my Wiim music system and it would be nice to have the default be Tidal Connect to the Wiim any time I open up Tidal. merifon, are you saying you don't have to do any of this?? How do you initiate Tidal Connect to the Wiim BEFORE you play a song?

Last edited:
merifon, are you saying you don't have to do any of this??
Generally speaking, even after a pause, the Tidal connect icon remains on WiiM or Bluos. I would say that I have to reconnect, only if the mobile gone out of local network, exemple when I go outside.
I will do a test to be sure of what I wrote...

Back