DLNA - improve search functionality

mehturt

Selecting "Home Music Share", then DLNA server, then "Music", then "Artist" and then tapping the upper right hand side Search button could select 'Artists' by default.
Currently 'Songs' is selected.
I'm assuming when the user is in the "Artist" list, he/she wants to search for an artist by default.
Similar for albums.

Selecting "Home Music Share", then DLNA server, then "Music", then "Artist" and then tapping the upper right hand side Search button could select 'Artists' by default.
Currently 'Songs' is selected.
I'm assuming when the user is in the "Artist" list, he/she wants to search for an artist by default.
Similar for albums.
Whilst your point stands, wouldn't it be easier to search for your artist as soon as you've selected your DLNA server rather than browse to the artist index first - especially as the search is for any artist and not specific to the index you're browsing (album artist vs track artist)?

Last edited:
You are right, but I think that the feature request is still valid, the search function could be improved regardless of what lead to the situation.

My use case was - let's see what music I'm going to play, let me check my artists (start browsing artists which takes forever because the list is long), ah I got it - click the Search button and start typing - but it's searching songs instead.

You are right, but I think that the feature request is still valid, the search function could be improved regardless of what lead to the situation.
Sorry I wasn't trying to say that your request isn't valid, any default other than Songs is better at the moment because the app fires off a UPnP search after every keystroke!

My use case was - let's see what music I'm going to play, let me check my artists (start browsing artists which takes forever because the list is long), ah I got it - click the Search button and start typing - but it's searching songs instead.
Maybe it's just a bad example, but why would you perform a search when you've found the artist in the list? Can't you just select the artist?

start browsing artists which takes forever because the list is long
This will be a limitation of your media server; the better one's will display an A-Z index (if applicable) for you to choose from rather than the full list, although I'm not aware of any free ones that do this.

Sorry, maybe it's just my engrish..

Maybe it's just a bad example, but why would you perform a search when you've found the artist in the list? Can't you just select the artist?
Sorry, I meant to say I did not find the artist in the list, suppose I was currently on C in the list of artists, but then I remembered a particular artist suppose starting with M - so it's easier to just tap the Search button than try to scroll down all the artists up to M.

This will be a limitation of your media server; the better one's will display an A-Z index (if applicable) for you to choose from rather than the full list, although I'm not aware of any free ones that do this.

OK, I thought this would be a Wiim client implementation.
I'm also using Bubble UPNP from time to time (although not with Wiim as I find the Wiim app quite sufficient for my needs) and it has a nice scroll bar that displays the first character as you scroll down in the list.

OK, I thought this would be a Wiim client implementation.
If all you see is an A-Z listing then it's being generated by the media server (as below), but if the entire artist list is being displayed and a scroll bar or mini A-Z selection is available then that's being generated by the controller e.g. the scroll bar in BubbleUPnP.

A-Z.jpg

Agreed, I would love to see some development of the DLNA browsing features. Alphabetic scroll bars would go a long way, currently one has to go through the entire library to find “Yes” or “Vladimir Ashkenazy”, etc.

You can still search for songs, albums, artists or playlists.

Probably faster in most cases than scrolling to Yes or ZZ Too.

I won't vote against further improvement, though.

Back