DLNA playlist or category as a preset or favorite

yannchris

Hello,
I’m mainly listen to music stored in my NAS, through DNLA/Twonky server.

In the app, I have to drill down 5 levels of menu to access to albums or playlists.

It would be more easy to add direct access to server’s categories or playlists in the presets or favorites as on the screenshot below (the app is 8 player pro)

Yann

Attachments

• IMG_2933.png
    IMG_2933.png
    690.1 KB · Views: 10
In fact presets are useless until I cannot add albums from my NAS server. Two radio stations and ten empty slots.

In fact presets are useless until I cannot add albums from my NAS server. Two radio stations and ten empty slots.
I don't think there's any reliable way to bookmark albums, even playlists created within the WiiM App are prone to breaking if you're not using a good music server

Of course, if I use my phone....
Wiim pro plus has miniremote with 4 presets just to avoid using phone fo listening favorites.
I really cannot understand where is problem with implemented NAS music IP address into existing presets.

I really cannot understand where is problem with implemented NAS music IP address into existing presets.
Agreed. I've moved from Sonos to Wiim. I thought the Presets were a great idea and was also hoping to be able to Preset a DLNA playlist or album so I could easily start some music directly from buttons 1 - 4 on the remote control. Unfortunately I'm limited to radio stations as I'm an Apple Music user and that isn't supported either.
I don't think there's any reliable way to bookmark albums, even playlists created within the WiiM App are prone to breaking if you're not using a good music server
I'm not sure why. Playlists on a NAS were never an issue with Sonos (unless that's due to Sonos's support for SMB shares which is also missing on Wiim)

Hopefully some of these (seemingly) simple features can be added by Wiim in time....

I'm not sure why. Playlists on a NAS were never an issue with Sonos (unless that's due to Sonos's support for SMB shares which is also missing on Wiim)
Sonos is a single ecosystem (it controls both the backend and frontend) so it's slightly different, whereas WiiM is working within the UPnP spec.

I think the problem control points have with bookmarking tracks/albums/playlists from a music server stems from the fact that there's no provision for creating playlists in the UPnP spec, so there's no requirement for having anything persist across server rescans.

A good example of this is MiniDLNA (the server that the WiiM Amp is based on). When MiniDLNA indexes the music, instead of delivering a URL that's based on the location of the track in the filesystem (which generally doesn't change) like MinimServer does e.g.
Code:
http://192.168.**.**:9790/minimserver/*/Beatles,*20The/2009*20-*20The*20Beatles*20In*20Mono/CD08/08.01.flac

It instead uses some sort of sequence number, appearing to come from the track's position in the list of all tracks sorted by album name e.g.
Code:
http://192.168.**.**:8200/MediaItems/25.flac

When browsing and playing from your MiniDLNA server interactively everything works, but when you add that track to a playlist it's the URL that's stored, and if you ever perform a rebuild (not simply a rescan) the browsing URLs will be regenerated and your playlist (that's static) could well now be pointing to a completely different track - assuming you've added new albums since the playlists were created. I don't have a WiiM Amp so I'm unable to test this, but I know it's a problem with the standard build.

The best way (although it could result in multiple matches) for WiiM to bookmark albums would be to store the album and albumartist tags and retrieve the album through a UPnP search, but not all servers support UPnP search (Plex, Serviio, Windows Media e.t.c) so it wouldn't work across the board.

Sonos is a single ecosystem (it controls both the backend and frontend) so it's slightly different, whereas WiiM is working within the UPnP spec.

I think the problem control points have with bookmarking tracks/albums/playlists from a music server stems from the fact that there's no provision for creating playlists in the UPnP spec, so there's no requirement for having anything persist across server rescans.

A good example of this is MiniDLNA (the server that the WiiM Amp is based on). When MiniDLNA indexes the music, instead of delivering a URL that's based on the location of the track in the filesystem (which generally doesn't change) like MinimServer does e.g.
Code:
http://192.168.**.**:9790/minimserver/*/Beatles,*20The/2009*20-*20The*20Beatles*20In*20Mono/CD08/08.01.flac

It instead uses some sort of sequence number, appearing to come from the track's position in the list of all tracks sorted by album name e.g.
Code:
http://192.168.**.**:8200/MediaItems/25.flac

When browsing and playing from your MiniDLNA server interactively everything works, but when you add that track to a playlist it's the URL that's stored, and if you ever perform a rebuild (not simply a rescan) the browsing URLs will be regenerated and your playlist (that's static) could well now be pointing to a completely different track - assuming you've added new albums since the playlists were created. I don't have a WiiM Amp so I'm unable to test this, but I know it's a problem with the standard build.

The best way (although it could result in multiple matches) for WiiM to bookmark albums would be to store the album and albumartist tags and retrieve the album through a UPnP search, but not all servers support UPnP search (Plex, Serviio, Windows Media e.t.c) so it wouldn't work across the board.
Thanks. A nice clear explanation. I guess that Sonos get's around that as the music in an SMB share get's indexed and its path stored in the library IE //MyNAS/Music/SomeArtist/SomeAlbum/SomeTrack.flac

Thanks. A nice clear explanation. I guess that Sonos get's around that as the music in an SMB share get's indexed and its path stored in the library IE //MyNAS/Music/SomeArtist/SomeAlbum/SomeTrack.flac
Given it's Sonos doing the indexing that would be my guess.

Not only Sonos... BOSE system also gives me 6 presets, where I can program radio, single track or albums on the NAS server

Not only Sonos... BOSE system also gives me 6 presets, where I can program radio, single track or albums on the NAS server
What BOSE speaker/system are you using, and what UPnP server is indexing your music?

Back