Does enyone know the Alexa Cast "auto-connect" feature?

Wiimer

Major Contributor
I noticed that you can see a new feature on the Amazon music settings screen. Does anyone know what this "auto-connect" function is?

According to a staff response on the Amazon forum, this is explained as a third-party Alexa detection feature. However, third-party devices have been detectable since long ago.

In my opinion, this is the feature that auto-connects to the last connected device first. However, this is not actually the case. 🤔

However, the new Alexa cast now sync playback status across multiple devices. This is just as useful as Spotify. 😄

IMG_20240105_165637.jpg

I’m bemused as to what it’s meant to do, other than to confuse users when their echo starts playing music just because another family member has tried to play music on their phone.

Do you have a link to that staff member’s response - all I could see was users complaining about erratic behaviour?

Also, I don’t understand your last sentence about sync and Spotify - what did you mean? Thanks

I’ve just asked Alexa to,play music on my Echo Show and when I then open the Amazon Music app, it shows as connected to the Show and the play bar reflects what the Show is playing, without me expressly having connected to the Show. I guess it might be useful for non screen echos in that my phone now shows the art work of what my echo is playing (guess that’s what you meant by being like Spotify) and I can then use the phone to pause/play/skip etc and maybe control the echo’s volume(?) . I’ll try it later with my WiiM’s but it is a strange feature that will confuse more users than help them…

I’m bemused as to what it’s meant to do, other than to confuse users when their echo starts playing music just because another family member has tried to play music on their phone.

Do you have a link to that staff member’s response - all I could see was users complaining about erratic behaviour?

Also, I don’t understand your last sentence about sync and Spotify - what did you mean? Thanks
I've been waiting for your post.😊

I read on the Amazon device forums in Japan.

--- quotation ----
"Cast" and "Auto-connect" are settings for discovering Alexa-enabled products made by third parties other than Amazon (Bose, Sonos, etc.).
------------------------

As usual, Amazon staff don't seem to understand much about this feature...

Please forget about Spotify.
Previously, if I launched the Amazon Music app on another device while playing on Alexa cast, I couldn't see what I was playing on cast. Now, the same screen is displayed on two devices. Also, I can keep the same screen even if I restart the app while casting.

My phone
1704450018970.jpg

My tablet
IMG_20240105_192055.jpg

I’ve just asked Alexa to,play music on my Echo Show and when I then open the Amazon Music app, it shows as connected to the Show and the play bar reflects what the Show is playing, without me expressly having connected to the Show. I guess it might be useful for non screen echos in that my phone now shows the art work of what my echo is playing (guess that’s what you meant by being like Spotify) and I can then use the phone to pause/play/skip etc and maybe control the echo’s volume(?) . I’ll try it later with my WiiM’s but it is a strange feature that will confuse more users than help them…
Sorry, I don't own Echo show, so unfortunately I don't know about that. 😅

I've been waiting for your post.😊

I read on the Amazon device forums in Japan.

--- quotation ----
"Cast" and "Auto-connect" are settings for discovering Alexa-enabled products made by third parties other than Amazon (Bose, Sonos, etc.).
------------------------

As usual, Amazon staff don't seem to understand much about this feature...

Please forget about Spotify.
Previously, if I launched the Amazon Music app on another device while playing on Alexa cast, I couldn't see what I was playing on cast. Now, the same screen is displayed on two devices. Also, I can keep the same screen even if I restart the app while casting.

My phone

My tablet
View attachment 4424

Yeah, I can see potential uses for this (it is a bit like Spotify mirroring what’s playing elsewhere) , but doesn’t seem to work for my WiiM devices and is a bit hit and miss with other echos - but I have the Amazon Music family plan so I guess that might confuse it a little. And you’re right about Amazon support staff, they really don’t have a clue - it’s not just for third party Alexa enabled devices, it’s for any that support Alexa Castimg. Might ask WiiM about their compatibility with this.

Thanks for the info :)

I just used the Echo Show as my example as it was the one on my bedside cabinet closest to me - any echo would have sufficed I guess.
Certainly, when I play music from the Echo Dot, it will appear in the AM app. Voice-controlled playback and cast playback appear to be unified.
However, these do not seem to have anything to do with the auto-connect feature.

As far as I've tested, it doesn't seem to work on auto-connect on/off yet. Nothing seems to have changed.

@Brantome,
Can you tell the difference between on and off?

Surprisingly, the Amazon music app still maintained the AlexaCast connection the next day. I reopened the AMU today after stopping the music last night. There was the same screen as yesterday, and I just pressed the play button and AlexaCast started playing where I left off yesterday. 😳 I will hardly need to tap the cast icon every time.

I was also able to connect both Spotify connect and AlexaCast to my WiiM pro at the same time.
I can alternate between these two connections for playback.

This is a groundbreaking improvement over AlexaCast. I hope that the speed of the app will improve in the FUTURE. 🙂

Surprisingly, the Amazon music app still maintained the AlexaCast connection the next day. I reopened the AMU today after stopping the music last night. There was the same screen as yesterday, and I just pressed the play button and AlexaCast started playing where I left off yesterday. 😳 I will hardly need to tap the cast icon every time.

I was also able to connect both Spotify connect and AlexaCast to my WiiM pro at the same time.
I can alternate between these two connections for playback.

This is a groundbreaking improvement over AlexaCast. I hope that the speed of the app will improve in the FUTURE. 🙂
It’s still just AlexaCast but with an auto connect feature at the end of the day :)

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when I ask Alexa to play music via voice request to any of my Echo devices, she will start on every device (that I have in the group) except the WiiM Amp.
I find that I have to go to Amazon Music and hit skip to the next song, or even hit the back button on the same song, before it will play on the Amp. Also, there is no indication of song info in the WiiM Home App either until I skip too.
Maybe I'll try the auto connect and see what happens.
I find the Alexa App and Amazon Music to be kind of quirky even on their own, so probably just an interaction issue.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when I ask Alexa to play music via voice request to any of my Echo devices, she will start on every device (that I have in the group) except the WiiM Amp.
I find that I have to go to Amazon Music and hit skip to the next song, or even hit the back button on the same song, before it will play on the Amp. Also, there is no indication of song info in the WiiM Home App either until I skip too.
Maybe I'll try the auto connect and see what happens.
I find the Alexa App and Amazon Music to be kind of quirky even on their own, so probably just an interaction issue.
You probably need to include WiiM in your group's music speakers.
If you've already done that, the behavior looks strange. 🤔

You probably need to include WiiM in your group's music speakers.
If you've already done that, the behavior looks strange. 🤔
Yes, the WiiM Amp is in the groups for music. I checked it again last night and it had the same behavior.
I think I noticed once before that even when the music finishes the first song and switches to the next song it begins to play on the Amp as well.
It's like the Amp or app isn't getting the trigger from MRM to play on the first song. Works fine otherwise.

Yes, the WiiM Amp is in the groups for music. I checked it again last night and it had the same behavior.
I think I noticed once before that even when the music finishes the first song and switches to the next song it begins to play on the Amp as well.
It's like the Amp or app isn't getting the trigger from MRM to play on the first song. Works fine otherwise.
I'd raise a bug report when that happens so WiiM can help diagnose the issue

Do you mean the MRM group? It seems that I misunderstood it as a group of rooms. It may be an issue with the WiiM amp, but I'll try to test it with the WiiM pro tomorrow. 🙂

Do you mean the MRM group? It seems that I misunderstood it as a group of rooms. It may be an issue with the WiiM amp, but I'll try to test it with the WiiM pro tomorrow. 🙂
I have several MRM groups that are associated with particular Echo devices, so dependent on what room I'm in when I request music it will play on the devices that I have included in that room. For example I have it setup to when I speak to the Echo device in the great room to play music the great room, hearth room and kitchen all play.
Works well except on the occasion at the WiiM Amp doesn't play the first song but has always eventually played in the group.

I need to play closer attention as to when it happens. This morning I said play some music and the Amp played along like expected. Yesterday it didn't and I'm not sure what I may have done differently.

I tend to use several interfaces to communicate with Amazon Music. I'll use the AM app, Alexa app, voice and WiiM app.
If I could just start MRM from the WiiM app, that would be my preference. It just so much more responsive and intuitive.

It’s still just AlexaCast but with an auto connect feature at the end of the day :)
IMHO, this new feature addresses a quirk that I noticed much time ago.

Consider these two scenarios:
1. I start to play music (e.g. a playlist) on an Echo device with a vocal command to Alexa.
2. I start to play music (e.g. a playlist) on an Echo device with the Amazon Music app and immediately after I close the app.

In both scenarios, if I opened the Alexa app on the smartphone (an iPhone, in my case) I did see what is playing on the Echo device, but if instead I opened the Amazon Music app I didn't.
Well, with this new feature enabled, I finally see what is playing on the Echo device also when I start the Amazon Music app, independently from how I started the playback.
IMHO, this is a huge improvement...

I have several MRM groups that are associated with particular Echo devices, so dependent on what room I'm in when I request music it will play on the devices that I have included in that room. For example I have it setup to when I speak to the Echo device in the great room to play music the great room, hearth room and kitchen all play.
Works well except on the occasion at the WiiM Amp doesn't play the first song but has always eventually played in the group.

I need to play closer attention as to when it happens. This morning I said play some music and the Amp played along like expected. Yesterday it didn't and I'm not sure what I may have done differently.

I tend to use several interfaces to communicate with Amazon Music. I'll use the AM app, Alexa app, voice and WiiM app.
If I could just start MRM from the WiiM app, that would be my preference. It just so much more responsive and intuitive.
I put my Echo and WiiM pro in the MRM group and tested it. There is nothing wrong here. The Echo and WiiM start music at the same time and are perfectly sync.

Therefore, in your case, you may fall under one of the following:

1. Wiim amp problems
2. Alexa (temporary) issues
3. Settings Issues

Since it was normal this morning, it may have been a temporary issue with Alexa. 🙂

Curious… what device/platform where that auto-connect appears? I do not see that on Amazon Music Unlimited on iOS.

Back