Fade in on track selection start

Just updated to the new version of WiiM Home for iOS with the crossfade functionality. Turned it off and the fade-in issue is still there. Wondering if any of you know an ETA of the fix? Thanks.

Another firmware and ios app update but still no cure for the cut out of the beginning of a song playing from home DLNA server. This makes this near giant killer only good for playing internet radio in the background.

Another firmware and ios app update but still no cure for the cut out of the beginning of a song playing from home DLNA server. This makes this near giant killer only good for playing internet radio in the background.
Have you submitted a ticket?

Yes I had on July 2nd. Customer service replied they will add a feature to allow turning off fade-in in the app., but it’s not there yet.

I have followed up with my ticket with Customer Service who had swiftly responded the crossfade switch is where I can turn on and off the fade in. I have tested and verified it is not. Please see my reply below with details and suggestions which I have come across from this forum a while back. Apologies for the long post.

-----

Thank you very much for your quick response. I have done a thorough listening test to confirm the crossfade switch did not solve the reported issue.
Through the month of application and firmware updates I have noticed the fade in time had shortened so that 1 out of my 2 chosen test songs which I've first spotted the issue played fine with no cutout of the beginning, but the second song exhibited the problem persisted. Both songs started with a percussion instrument kicking off with louder sound at the very beginning. It is very noticeable the first hit is missing and left with a soft start with the tail of the first note.
I have repeated the same listening test with both the crossfade switched to ON and OFF with and without rebooting the player to confirm the switch introduced no difference in the playback behaviour. There is also no crossfade effect between tracks when I play a gapless concert album.
I have further confirmed the reported issue is still there by playback the same tracks using my old by trusty physical CD player hardware and other computer software players, like foobar2000 to ensure it is not the file nor the original CD which the file is ripped from.
Lastly, the WiiM play absolutely fine with the beginning of the track if I first play the previous track and let it naturally advance through to the next.
So yes, I agree with your assessment it is the fade in you've introduced to combat the possible click and pop. Appreciate your engineer maybe, instead of using the fade-in but a very short delay using zero samples padding to achieve the same effect.?

I will share the same to the forum discussion so as to gather more thoughts from our community.

(2) Fade in on track selection start | Page 2 | WiiM (wiimhome.com)

Thank you and look forward to hear from you on the solution of the problem.
Andy

I actually really like the fade-out feature on track change. But I also wish there were two separate switches for fade-in and fade-out, because "fade-in" usually really doesn't make any sense unless it is a live album or something without silence between the tracks.
Now I just wanted to start a new thread when I found this existing one.
I can't believe WiiM is unable to deliver such a simple change to their firmware.

Maybe, but the fade-in and fade-out feature in the menu also sucks as it is. Basically no one needs fade-in on track change/skip. This is also an issue that needs to be highlighted. Separate fade-in and fade-out switches in the menu would be a big approvement.

Last edited:
Maybe, but the fade-in and fade-out feature in the menu also sucks as it is. Basically no one needs fade-in on track change/skip. This is also an issue that needs to be highlighted. Separate fade-in and fade-out switches in the menu would be a big approvement.
If I remember correctly, the fade-in-out was a feature that was put in place to reduce noise between songs.

But I can understand your feelings that you only like the fade out. 😉

If I remember correctly, the fade-in-out was a feature that was put in place to reduce noise between songs.

But I can understand your feelings that you only like the fade out. 😉
But.... What noise between songs? If there is noise between songs then it's in the recording and supposed to be there actually. In 99% of all recordings after 1960 there is not much noise at the beginning of tracks.

But.... What noise between songs? If there is noise between songs then it's in the recording and supposed to be there actually. In 99% of all recordings after 1960 there is not much noise at the beginning of tracks.
Referring to pops and cracks on some dacs when locking due to sample rate changes I believe.

I understand. But wouldn't it be nice to choose either fade-in, fade-out or both? Such a simple change. As you said "some DACs" have a problem, but I believe most don't. Never had a problem there and I've had some DACs in the past.

Last edited:
Back