Fixed volume vs volume limit

Especially when lowering the analog output level is performed internally by lowering the signal in digital domain.
And to add a bit more than my simple "ah" earlier...

As expected, changing the line out level makes no difference to the volume of a digital output, regardless of fixed / variable volume.
So if the line out volume is attenuated digitally then that might also help explain why only one output can be active at a time?

And to add a bit more than my simple "ah" earlier...

As expected, changing the line out level makes no difference to the volume of a digital output, regardless of fixed / variable volume.
So if the line out volume is attenuated digitally then that might also help explain why only one output can be active at a time?
I could be wrong but I don't believe the 4 step output level is changed by the digital level, that is, you can change the analogue output (1 of 4 levels) and still have access to the digital volume level and EQ

So I have an airtight test of "bit perfect-ness"
I hook up the toslink or coax to an older DAC with HDCD decoder built in and play a lossless HDCD encoded file
If I get an HDCD light on this DAC, it's a bit perfect digital output

As long as the digital volume is fixed (or set to 100%) and EQ is bypassed, it's gold

@onlyoneme
Sorry, but I still don’t get it…
Can you please give a real life example of the usefulness of this volume limiter?
In other words, why has it been introduced?
For example you've used the PEQ and introduced some positive gain which you would like to compensate. Using the volume slider is risky because the volume level can be changed externally. You can still have a fixed volume with the limiter applied instead to get a necessary headroom.

I do not see a relation here tbh.
Any digital processing is possible on the WiiM regardless of the output. If you reduce the audio signal level by 6 dB or set the limiter to 90%, you will get an equivalent of switching the analog output level from 2 Vrms to 1 Vrms.

I will repost this : (-3db refers to digital volume and addresses the dac overshoot problem and others ). In my case the sound is clearer at -3db or even lower. That is why this feature is useful for me apart from the headroom when using eq, which I don’t currently. I think most people will benefit from this setting.

Last edited:
I will repost this : (-3db refers to digital volume and addresses the dac overshoot problem and others ). In my case the sound is clearer at -3db or even lower. That is why this feature is useful for me apart from the headroom when using eq, which I don’t currently. I think most people will benefit from this setting.

where do I set -3dB?
WiiM pro to chord mojo dac using roon and to amp?

Stupid question, but where is that limiter function in the app? I just can't find. And I almost feel stupid, because I've checked really every submenu. There's nothing like a limiter!

Oh seriously? I almost thought I was just too stupid to find it. 😒😂👍
You are not stupid. We are only enthusiastic. 🤣 If I remember correctly, this feature was mentioned in the release notes of the Android app before. So, it may be a mistake with the WiiM.

The next time the app is updated, Please check the "Audio settings". 😀

To be clear %output does reduce overall voltage output as in setting the volume to 2volts and % to 50%. will effectively have a 1volt output usable across all value steps

Am I correct in thinking, that the issue of volume, limit and output level only applies when Line Out is selected. I play mine using coax and let the speakers do the D/A conversion, so don't have the volume limit option.

Am I correct in thinking, that the issue of volume, limit and output level only applies when Line Out is selected. I play mine using coax and let the speakers do the D/A conversion, so don't have the volume limit option.
I think it's any output, but if you only have the Android app, that option isn't available yet

All the outputs can be overloaded with resultant clipping
Minor clipping isn't too unlistenable but digital clipping is less usable than analogue clipping, usually once it's at clipping, it's got to be lowered in the digital domain

Back