HDMI Arc low volume vs high volume on everything else

Kabeltrommel

On my Wiim Amp the volume difference between HDMI ARC and everything else is huge. The Amp itself delivers a very high level of volume even on 2 dots on its scale. Another source like a TVs ARC delivery a more classic volume relative to the scale, so 1 dot is quiet, 2-3 normal, 4-5 loud. Unfortunately, the amp does not notice the extreme difference. Switich from ARC back to Spotify Connect / Tidal blows my ears out. Setting a max volume limit doesnt help as then TV is way too quiet.

On my Wiim Amp the volume difference between HDMI ARC and everything else is huge. The Amp itself delivers a very high level of volume even on 2 dots on its scale. Another source like a TVs ARC delivery a more classic volume relative to the scale, so 1 dot is quiet, 2-3 normal, 4-5 loud. Unfortunately, the amp does not notice the extreme difference. Switich from ARC back to Spotify Connect / Tidal blows my ears out. Setting a max volume limit doesnt help as then TV is way too quiet.
Submit a ticket to WiiM asking for that as I did. The more who do, the better chance they’ll do something about it.

I just received my WiiM Amp and am experiencing this same issue with audio source input levels with my LG TV and also submit feedback to WiiM CS about it.

What are the advantages connecting the Wiimamp to the tv other than powering of the tv and adjusting the volume? If you have an soundbar what do you have to do then?
Maybe connecting the wiimamp to optical?

What i mean is that with HDMI arc you can power off, and youre tv,wiiamp with one remote and adjust the volume of the wiimamp and tv.
But are there any diffences between the sound? Assume that i connect the Wiimamp to optical is there any difference other than the advantages above when is choose to connect it with HDMI ARC?

Have you checked the TV settings? On my Sony TV you can set the ‘Digital Audio Out Volume’ for PCM audio.

What i mean is that with HDMI arc you can power off, and youre tv,wiiamp with one remote and adjust the volume of the wiimamp and tv.
But are there any diffences between the sound? Assume that i connect the Wiimamp to optical is there any difference other than the advantages above when is choose to connect it with HDMI ARC?
There should not be differences in the sound regarding HDMI vs. Toslink. If any, the Toslink input might be a bit "cleaner" than the HDMI input. If one could hear differences at all.

Yes I have the same issue. Loud for streaming is 2-3 dots. I can only get what I would consider medium volume with HDMI even at maximum settings.

Same issue with my Nvidia Shield + LG C9 TV. Wifi streaming is 30% vs 90% volume level for HDMI usage. Hopefully this is ameliorated somewhat when the per source input volume firmware is released.

Last edited:
I have my WiiM Amp in a bedroom setup with just an HDMI connection. I am experiencing a slightly different issue. I have different loudness levels between the apps. For instance, if I am streaming YouTube, and then I switch to Netflix, I have to really crank the volume. I have to really turn it down before I switch back. But sometimes I forget...:mad:

I have my WiiM Amp in a bedroom setup with just an HDMI connection. I am experiencing a slightly different issue. I have different loudness levels between the apps. For instance, if I am streaming YouTube, and then I switch to Netflix, I have to really crank the volume. I have to really turn it down before I switch back. But sometimes I forget...:mad:
Isn't the recording volume different depending on the video? In that case, I think you can usually set it on the streaming device side. For example, the FireTV stick's sound settings have an "Automatic Volume Adjustment" section.

I wonder if it would be possible to add a post processing volume normalization feature to the WiiM amp. That could be really cool.

Isn't the recording volume different depending on the video? In that case, I think you can usually set it on the streaming device side. For example, the FireTV stick's sound settings have an "Automatic Volume Adjustment" section.
The streaming device would be the TV itself (LG G1) and that option is already selected. YouTube is way louder than Netflix and Prime.

The streaming device would be the TV itself (LG G1) and that option is already selected. YouTube is way louder than Netflix and Prime.
Is there no difference in volume when playing through TV speakers? In that case, the setting may not be reflected via HDMI. Does the same problem occur when the optical output of the TV is connected to the amp?

I'd think it's quite likely to be the source content volume.
For example, my terrestrial tv sound is louder than netflix etc., so my tv's default volume upon turning on is fine for normal tv, but whenever I stream I need to increase the volume 'number' by 15-20%

Back