HDMI Arc low volume vs high volume on everything else

I'd think it's quite likely to be the source content volume.
For example, my terrestrial tv sound is louder than netflix etc., so my tv's default volume upon turning on is fine for normal tv, but whenever I stream I need to increase the volume 'number' by 15-20%
Yes.
Movies, in particular, have a wide dynamic range, and the dialogue can sound small. In the case of AVRs, the dynamic range auto-adjustment function may solve the problem a little, but I haven't tried it.

Is there no difference in volume when playing through TV speakers? In that case, the setting may not be reflected via HDMI. Does the same problem occur when the optical output of the TV is connected to the amp?
There is no difference in volume when I switch between the apps. I don't need to adjust the volume at all when using the build in TV speakers. I will have to order an optical cable to test that.

I have different loudness levels between the apps.
The streaming device would be the TV itself (LG G1) and that option is already selected. YouTube is way louder than Netflix and Prime.
There is no difference in volume when I switch between the apps.
I see some contradiction here.

What are you actually referring to as "the apps"? If you are just switching between the Youtube app and the Netflix app on your TV, then the TV is the streaming source, indeed. However, there's no way the Amp could know about or even influence the volume level of what it gets fed by the TVs HDMI ARC port.

I have no explanation for why this would only happen through HDMI, but not when using the TV speakers, I must admit.

There is no difference in volume when I switch between the apps. I don't need to adjust the volume at all when using the build in TV speakers. I will have to order an optical cable to test that.

Sorry, I don't have any more ideas.
Get troubleshooting suggestions when you're having problems with HDMI.

Shut down all devices and disconnect all cables. After about 10 minutes, connect the cable and turn it on.

You can also try turning the auto-adjust option on/off on your TV. If the problem persists, try submitting a support ticket through the feedback section of the WiiM app.

However, your problem feels like a common case in general. Sometimes such things happen with my AVR as well.

I see some contradiction here.

What are you actually referring to as "the apps"? If you are just switching between the Youtube app and the Netflix app on your TV, then the TV is the streaming source, indeed. However, there's no way the Amp could know about or even influence the volume level of what it gets fed by the TVs HDMI ARC port.

I have no explanation for why this would only happen through HDMI, but not when using the TV speakers, I must admit.
When using the TV speakers I can switch back and forth between YouTube and Netflix without the need to adjust the volume. When using the WiiM Amp, I have to increase the volume significantly in order to hear Netflix. I just tried it in the other room where everything is hooked up to a Marantz AV7706 processor. I got the same results using the TV apps. Unfortunately the TV there is also an LG G1. I will switch things around tomorrow and see if streaming using Apple TV will have the same results.

The problem must be with the TV then, I conclude. To the WiiM Amp it's just the same external source: HDMI. It's playing what it's fed. Even the new "volume per source" setting won't help here, since it's the same source.

So I did some measurements. Without adjusting the the volume...first YouTube and then switching to Netflix. Also run this with Apple TV, again, without adjusting the volume. That measured a little better than the TV and it was actually manageable.

Definitely something with the TV's output.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131_144015_Sound Meter.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_144015_Sound Meter.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240131_143245_Sound Meter.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_143245_Sound Meter.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 4
Again, Apple TV vs LG G1. YouTube seems to be about the same but when streaming from Apple TV, the volume in Netflix is higher than the TV app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131_145204_Sound Meter.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_145204_Sound Meter.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240131_145525_Sound Meter.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_145525_Sound Meter.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 4
Back