Help! I am hoping to buy a Wiim Pro but don't know if it will do what I would like it to...

KiwiKate

Hello,

I am a complete novice. Sorry. I am thinking of getting a Wiim Pro to connect into my Denon RCD M39 DAB. I would like to stream from my android samsung phone which is not DLNA enabled.

Can I stream directly from my phone through a Wiim Pro such things as

BBC sounds podcasts and other Podcasts
My music playlists which other people have given me.
My MP3s which I use to learn the songs for my choir

Any guidance would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Kiwikate

The Pro has a Chromecast interface that the majority of Android apps support including BBC Sounds and Podcast Addict.

For local music playback you can use the WiiM Home app or something a bit more feature rich like BubbleUPnP.

You can use ChromeCast from the bbc Sounds app to cast podcasts to the Pro.
Could you give more details re the shared playlists? Are these links to Spotify etc?
You can use the My Music feature in the WiiM Home app to wirelessly play mp3s on your phone direct to the Pro

You can use ChromeCast from the bbc Sounds app to cast podcasts to the Pro.
Could you give more details re the shared playlists? Are these links to Spotify etc?
You can use the My Music feature in the WiiM Home app to wirelessly play mp3s on your phone direct to the Pro
Thank you so much. So helpful.

I have the BBC sounds app on my phone but I can't see any icon for chromecast on it. Does it appear once the Wiim Home App is loaded?

That is good to know about the My Music feature...

The shared playlists are just ones friends have gathered together and sent links to - I have checked and the main one is via Spotify so that should work ok shouldn't it...

The Pro has a Chromecast interface that the majority of Android apps support including BBC Sounds and Podcast Addict.

For local music playback you can use the WiiM Home app or something a bit more feature rich like BubbleUPnP.
Thank you so much... But this is where my brain hurts. I have just looked up BubbleUPnP and looks good but how does it work when my phone is not DLNA... I thought it was the transmitting device that needed to be DLNA enabled or have Chromecast on it for it to stream to my cd system via Wiim Pro? whereas here it is only the Wiim which has Chromecast built in. ????

Thank you so much. So helpful.

I have the BBC sounds app on my phone but I can't see any icon for chromecast on it. Does it appear once the Wiim Home App is loaded?

That is good to know about the My Music feature...

The shared playlists are just ones friends have gathered together and sent links to - I have checked and the main one is via Spotify so that should work ok shouldn't it...
Re BBC Sounds , if you bring up the full Now Playing page (not just the play bar), you should see a rectangular cast icon on android which will use ChromeCast, or a speaker icon on iOS which will use airplay or Bluetooth. Both Chromecast and Airplay offer sufficient bandwidth for BBC sounds, and you’d get away with Bluetooth for podcasts.

Yeah, links to Spotify playlists should open up in the Spotify app from where you’d choose your WiiM as the target playing device.

Re BBC Sounds , if you bring up the full Now Playing page (not just the play bar), you should see a rectangular cast icon on android which will use ChromeCast, or a speaker icon on iOS which will use airplay or Bluetooth. Both Chromecast and Airplay offer sufficient bandwidth for BBC sounds, and you’d get away with Bluetooth for podcasts.

Yeah, links to Spotify playlists should open up in the Spotify app from where you’d choose your WiiM as the target playing device.
Hmmm. I am now playing 6 Musics Indie Forever on BBC Souncs app but can't see any cast icon. Will it only appear once I have Wiim Pro installed?

Hmmm. I am now playing 6 Musics Indie Forever on BBC Souncs app but can't see any cast icon. Will it only appear once I have Wiim Pro installed?
If there is no other Chromecast item quite sure. App and phone are looking in emptiness..😉

It'll only appear if it discovers a Chromecast target on the network.

Thank you so much... But this is where my brain hurts. I have just looked up BubbleUPnP and looks good but how does it work when my phone is not DLNA... I thought it was the transmitting device that needed to be DLNA enabled or have Chromecast on it for it to stream to my cd system via Wiim Pro? whereas here it is only the Wiim which has Chromecast built in. ????
DLNA capability is implemented in software. If you install BubbleUPnP then your phone could be a DLNA/UPnP server, controller and renderer if you want!
BubbleUPnP can talk to both DLNA/UPnP and Chromecast renderers, but DLNA/UPnP supports gapless and generally higher resolutions so it's the preferred choice (if you have one).

DLNA capability is implemented in software. If you install BubbleUPnP then your phone could be a DLNA/UPnP server, controller and renderer if you want!
BubbleUPnP can talk to both DLNA/UPnP and Chromecast renderers, but DLNA/UPnP supports gapless and generally higher resolutions so it's the preferred choice (if you have one).
Thank you. my laptop is DLNA enabled but not my phone! Maybe time to upgrade my phone! But are you saying that installing BubbleUPnP might convery my phone to being DLNA enable?

Thank you. my laptop is DLNA enabled but not my phone! Maybe time to upgrade my phone! But are you saying that installing BubbleUPnP might convery my phone to being DLNA enable?
The BubbleUPnP app is DLNA enabled so installing it will allow the phone to talk DLNA to other devices.
Install it now and go to the Now Playing tab, at the top of the screen you'll see the cast icon (rectangular shape), click on this and it'll list any available speakers.

The BubbleUPnP app is DLNA enabled so installing it will allow the phone to talk DLNA to other devices.
Install it now and go to the Now Playing tab, at the top of the screen you'll see the cast icon (rectangular shape), click on this and it'll list any available speakers.
Thanks for that advice. I am going to get a Wiim Pro at the end of the week and I will come back to you if I am still in difficulties. I understand a lot more about streaming than I did one week ago... thanks so much

Back