Hum through speakers when Mini is on

Geoff Hammond

Hi All

I have a Wiim Mini with the Aux Out connected by cables to the Tuner input on a preamp. This system has recently developed a hum when the Mini is turned on (it's a 50-Hz hum, I'm in Australia). The hum is noticeable with the power amp volume control turned down completely, and increases as the volume control is increased. I've tried relocating the Mini and routing the Aux Out to the CD/Aux input on the preamp without any success. Thank you for your suggestions of a fix for this problem.

Geoff Hammond

Hi All

I have a Wiim Mini with the Aux Out connected by cables to the Tuner input on a preamp. This system has recently developed a hum when the Mini is turned on (it's a 50-Hz hum, I'm in Australia). The hum is noticeable with the power amp volume control turned down completely, and increases as the volume control is increased. I've tried relocating the Mini and routing the Aux Out to the CD/Aux input on the preamp without any success. Thank you for your suggestions of a fix for this problem.

Geoff Hammond
If you remove the cable at the mini end does it still hum?
How is the mini powered? Supplied plug in a 'normal' plug socket? USB outlet on a powerboard?

If you have them, you can trying a different RCA cable, and a different power supply/power supply cable. If you jiggle the WiiM, the cables or the power supply brick does the noise change in volume?

If you remove the cable at the mini end does it still hum?
How is the mini powered? Supplied plug in a 'normal' plug socket? USB outlet on a powerboard?
The hum stops when I remove the signal cable from the Wiim. It’s powered
by the supplied plug into a normal power output.

Maybe this could help, if I power my iPhone doing guitar modeling, connected to a powered speaker, if I use an Huawei power supply, I get some hum noise, especially when string are not touched. If I use the original iPhone power supply, no hum at all...
You could try another power or change the power wall inlet or better, manage to go with toslink...

I’ll try another RAC cable and post what happens. I haven’t noticed any change in the hum when I move or juggle the Mini or the cables but I’ll look more systematically.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Maybe this could help, if I power my iPhone doing guitar modeling, connected to a powered speaker, if I use an Huawei power supply, I get some hum noise, especially when string are not touched. If I use the original iPhone power supply, no hum at all...
You could try another power or change the power wall inlet or better, manage to go with toslink...
Thanks—I’ll try another power outlet.

Thanks everyone. The hum problem seems to have resolved after (1) using a different power outlet for the Mini; (2) replacing the signal cable from the Mini to the preamp; and (3) separating signal and power cables as much as possible.

Don't know if any one of these was effective or a combination did it.

Yes, it sounds like a ground loop issue you had. I think changing outlets did the trick for you in this case. The best way of knowing for sure is to run off battery power vs the outlet you were using. If the hum comes back when plugged in then it was the outlet

Back