iTunes Library

Bismarck

Major Contributor
I have a big iTunes Library (100.000+ tracks).
I tried and played it through the WiiM Pro.
No problems running iTunes on a PC and streaming to the WiiM Pro via Airplay2.
Moreover, controlling iTunes with the IOS Remote app is of course possible, so the user experience is overall good.
I wonder, though, if there is a method to use instead the Wiim app, given that directly accessing an iTunes Library seems not supported.
Any ideas?

The Wiim Pro uses UPNP /DLNA (Universal Plug and Play/Digital Living Network Alliance) protocols to stream content from local servers. As far as I can tell MacOS/iTunes does not natively support this protocol.

However, there are many servers you can put on a Mac or Windows computer to be music servers that support the UPNP/DLNA protocols. In principle a server can be pointed at your local iTunes library on disk (I assume that is what you mean by having 100,000 tracks) and serve it to the Wiim Pro.

There may be some issue with copy protection or file format for your iTunes library, since Apple does have its own file formats. I just put all my local files in FLAC format for ease of reading by multiple devices (FLAC is an open file specification).

I use Minimserver on a a Windows 10 PC to be my UPNP/DLNA music file server. It appears to support a lot of file formats, including Apple ones.

Some more info:
  1. My system is Windows 11.
  2. My iTunes Library contains 100.000+ tracks, all ripped from CDs, so I have no problems with DRM.
  3. Nearly all tracks are ripped in ALAC (lossless) format, with some of them ripped in AAC (lossy) format and few of them ripped in MP3 (lossy) format.
  4. I want to continue using iTunes, hence the solution that I am seeking must not impact the functionality of iTunes, nor modify in any way the track files.
  5. I would also like that no additional files were scattered in the thousands of folders of the iTunes Media Library, hence the indexing files of the UPNP /DLNA server should stay away from the iTunes Library structure.
Do you think that Minimserver will fulfill my needs?

BTW, a friend said to me that I could use Foobar. Has someone successfully done it in a similar scenario?

TIA.

AssetUPNP on your Windows PC could be an option too. I haven’t seen any evidence of additional indexing files being placed in your music library by any upnp server software I’ve used.

AssetUPNP on your Windows PC could be an option too. I haven’t seen any evidence of additional indexing files being placed in your music library by any upnp server software I’ve used.
Thanks.
I will give AssetUPNP a try...
Is it free?

Some more info:
  1. My system is Windows 11.
  2. My iTunes Library contains 100.000+ tracks, all ripped from CDs, so I have no problems with DRM.
  3. Nearly all tracks are ripped in ALAC (lossless) format, with some of them ripped in AAC (lossy) format and few of them ripped in MP3 (lossy) format.
  4. I want to continue using iTunes, hence the solution that I am seeking must not impact the functionality of iTunes, nor modify in any way the track files.
  5. I would also like that no additional files were scattered in the thousands of folders of the iTunes Media Library, hence the indexing files of the UPNP /DLNA server should stay away from the iTunes Library structure.
Do you think that Minimserver will fulfill my needs?

BTW, a friend said to me that I could use Foobar. Has someone successfully done it in a similar scenario?

TIA.
I have about 6,000 tracks (550 CDs) in an minimserver on a Windows 10 PC. It scans the directories fairly quickly, building an index. Minimserver does not move any files, or write any files into the directories where the files are. I would check on the Minimserver support forums, but I suspect 100,000 files would not be a problem.

It looks like minimserver supports the file types you have. Over a decade, I had the unfortunate experience of ripping my CDs 3 times: once as lossly MP3, once as lossless Windows Media Player, which I could not successfully convert to FLAC, then once as FLAC.

I hope I am done feeding CDs into players :)

Above you mentioned Foobar2000. If installed onto your phone then it will be able to read (and play locally) music stored on your PC and disclosed by minimserver (or other UPnP/DLNA server) but it isn't a UPnP controller. Arguably the WiiM Home App isn't a full controller either as it will only control WiiM devices or devices exposed to it e.g. Echo. It won't find any old UPnP player on your network. Try mConnect Lite if you want a full UPnP controller experience.

On the server there should be absolutely no issue pointing minimserver at your iTunes library but don't ever point Windows Media Player (or whatever it is now called) at it. WMP is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to extraneous additional files suddenly appearing.

Longer term the weak point in your setup is the need to have your PC switched on whenever you want to listen. Consider a decent NAS - Synology or Qnap - which will run a UPnP/DLNA Server (or other Music Server) and move your files to it - you can still point iTunes at the same files.

Thanks all, folks!
At the end I have installed AssetUPNP on my Windows 11 PC and pointed it to my (local) iTunes folder.
After about half an hour, AssetUPNP completed the library scanning.
No files added to the library and no modifications to the files.
Now, when I run the WiiM app on my iPhone and browse to the local servers, I can see the AssetUPNP server.
When I choose it, I can see different options for selecting the music I want to play.
All works perfectly (except for a couple of minor quirks, about which I will make a separate post).
I should also mention that, as usual, the WiiM app is only a remote to the WiiM Pro, that is, when I close the app on the iPhone, the WiiM Pro itself continues the source streaming.
Wow!

Thanks all, folks!
At the end I have installed AssetUPNP on my Windows 11 PC and pointed it to my (local) iTunes folder.
After about half an hour, AssetUPNP completed the library scanning.
No files added to the library and no modifications to the files.
Now, when I run the WiiM app on my iPhone and browse to the local servers, I can see the AssetUPNP server.
When I choose it, I can see different options for selecting the music I want to play.
All works perfectly (except for a couple of minor quirks, about which I will make a separate post).
I should also mention that, as usual, the WiiM app is only a remote to the WiiM Pro, that is, when I close the app on the iPhone, the WiiM Pro itself continues the source streaming.
Wow!
I liked dbPoweramp when I was ripping my CDs to FLAC files, so I suspect AssetUPNP is a reasonable choice for a UPNP/DLNA server. I started with Minimserver when it was free, and I don't mind paying a bit annually for software I use regularly (I was in the software development business).

d6jg is right that *some* computer-like device has to be on and running in order to serve the files.

I use a Media PC - a PC configuration with basically no fans and low power parts - as my music server. I am comfortable leaving it on all the time. By the way, I don't know what the default configuration in AssetUPNP is, but I have my Minimserver configured as a Windows Service, so I don't have to be logged in for it to run.

My PC is always on in my home office.
AssetUPNP is configured to run as a service.
I listen to my music in my living room.
Hence, at the moment I don't feel the need of a NAS, but I agree that such a solution would be tidier.
Thanks to everyone!

Another problem:
I would like to access via AssetUPNP to my iTunes Library playlists.
How?

From memory, they‘re incorporated within an XML file with a numeric reference to the tracks in the main iTunes library.
Just had a Google. Yes you are correct an iTunes only XML format but my friend says you can export as .m3u which would be readable by any decent media server.

Can we ask why does the OP need to stick with iTunes if all music is CD rips? There are many better Windows clients. Foobar2000 for one - although it won’t “play to” a upnp player. If it is for local playback it’s pretty good and from same developer as Asset

Just had a Google. Yes you are correct an iTunes only XML format but my friend says you can export as .m3u which would be readable by any decent media server.

Can we ask why does the OP need to stick with iTunes if all music is CD rips? There are many better Windows clients. Foobar2000 for one - although it won’t “play to” a upnp player. If it is for local playback it’s pretty good and from same developer as Asset

Just noticed Logitech Media Server has an iTunes plugin - I might have a play with that tomorrow and see what it does…

Just noticed Logitech Media Server has an iTunes plugin - I might have a play with that tomorrow and see what it does…
It is a long standing plugin going back to when LMS was called SqueezeBoxServer

I have never used it but according to the wiki it can read iTunes playlists.

How it might work with the Material skin I have no idea.

Thank you very much to everyone!
AssetUPNP does not directly read the iTunes playlists, but, as already said, can read m3u playlist.
iTunes can export its playlists in m3u format (also if it is not a sync but a one-time static export).
Hence, I exported the playlist from iTunes in m3u format and imported them in AssetUPNP.
Unfortunately, it turned out that in this way there are problems with accented and similar characters.
So, I found a workaround: from iTunes it necessary to export the playlist in m3u8 format (and not plain m3u).
I redid all and now it works!
There are some quirks, though: I will try to solve them and report here.

I have a big problem with the WiiM app.
It looks like the tag "composer", when present, is used instead of the tag "album artist".
Do you know why?
Is it possible to correct this anomaly?
TIA

@Brantome
@WiiM Support

Last edited:
Back