Just an observation

Hollywood

Major Contributor
I hope this might help someone.

I bought a second WiiM (Mini) to use on the Bluetooth boom box in my bathroom. The boom box had a mini aux in and a USB charge out connector. I connected the USB to the Mini and all worked but it sounded terrible. I swapped out the audio cable which didn't help. I then plugged the Mini power into the adapter that came with it. Then everything sounded great without the static and hiss.

I can't imagine the Mini draws much current, but if you get distorted or hiss sound and are not using the original power adapter, that might be the problem.

I’d say the same about the supplied optical cable - unless you need a longer length, or for some reason it doesn’t fit your DAC, it works perfectly well and it’s pointless to “upgrade” it to something more expensive - you can’t make the bits any more perfect than it delivers.

Could it be something to do with sharing a common ground when both connected to the bluetooth speaker

@Hollywood - Many thanks for your post... I had the same issue and solved it with this info.

I had static/poor sound with the WiiM Mini was plugged into my Bluetooth speaker's USB charge port as well as its Aux-in port; was about to return one or both devices due to the static; read your post; switched the Mini to its own plug; static totally went away and Mini + speaker now sound great. Appreciate the time you took to post this.

@Hollywood - Many thanks for your post... I had the same issue and solved it with this info.
Cool! It pays not to jump to conclusions. On another system, I also had a hum and popping sound through a small cheap DAC. I plugged it into a different power adapter and the noise was gone. But the problem wasn't the original adapter, it was a loose connector on the DAC that just happened to temporarily correct itself when I re-positioned the wire. It turned out to be a defective power jack on the DAC.

I'm glad my post was able to help! I hope you are enjoying your Wiim.

Wouldn't it easier to just bluetooth to the boombox from your phone?

Wouldn't it easier to just bluetooth to the boombox from your phone?
I don't use streaming services, I just use my ripped CDs on a network SSD.

I used to do bluetooth in the garage, bathroom, and patio. I had old cell phones with music on a microSD card for each location. All 3 old phones had different size memory cards and I seldom updated their library. When I got calls, texts, and emails the music would be interrupted.

Now the phones have the battery saver set to not charge over 85% and they are ready to use at any of my 6 listening locations. If I get new music, I only have to update one SSD and the music doesn't get interrupted by texts or calls. I don't live or die with my cell phone, and sometimes I use it to control the WiiMs, but the 3 old phones have no personal info and I don't mind letting my guests use them to browse or choose what they want to hear or bring it near the pool.

Bluetooth was a great solution, but the WiiM with one library and the ability to link several locations with the same music is even better. Also since my library is mostly FLAC files, my three other areas are one high end stereo and 2 home theater setups and they get a better quality from the wifi WiiM then using bluetooth.

Back