Limited to 16/44.1 when using casting from Amazon Music

beeglowbot

I have both SPDIF and Coax set to 24/192 and they both tested fine. Enabled Chromecast and it went through fine, but when I try to play from Amazon Music, it's limited to 16/44.1. Am I missing some setting or what? If I play the same song from Amazon Music via the Wiim Home app, it plays fine at full 24/192. Setup is Wiim Pro SPDIF out to Schiit Modius RCA out to amp.

I'll attach some screenshots.

Screenshot_20221220-161025.pngScreenshot_20221220-161033.pngScreenshot_20221220-160529.pngScreenshot_20221220-161445.png

Last edited:
Chromecast? Or Alexa Cast?
Have you set the UHD option in the wiim app?
Device menu; settings (cog icon); Amazon Alexa Settings

Chromecast? Or Alexa Cast?
Have you set the UHD option in the wiim app?
Device menu; settings (cog icon); Amazon Alexa Settings
Casting from the Amazon Music app via chromecast.

Yes, I've enabled UHD within the app. I forgot to grab a screenshot of that too.

Why chromecast? Maybe that's the issue.
e.g. I believe Qobuz limit chromecast to 96, so maybe amazon limit even more.

Edit:
This thread implies that it's the Google Cast device itself that determines the stream.
"Amazon will always stream in the best quality possible based on the devices you're using."

But still, why use Chromecast for Amazon when alexa cast works as you want?

Last edited:
Why chromecast? Maybe that's the issue.
e.g. I believe Qobuz limit chromecast to 96, so maybe amazon limit even more.

Edit:
This thread implies that it's the Google Cast device itself that determines the stream.
"Amazon will always stream in the best quality possible based on the devices you're using."

But still, why use Chromecast for Amazon when alexa cast works as you want?
That's how we do our multiroom streaming. There are a variety of speakers and smart devices, all in the Google ecosystem one way or another. Whether it's a Nest Audio or a Chromecast audio connected to a 2.1 system.

I don't have any Amazon devices, just the music app because it's the cheapest lossless service. I'll give Alexa cast a go and see if it works. Otherwise I might have to switch to Tidal for the Tidal Connect.

EDIT: So I looked it up, I guess Alexa Cast is what I've been referring to as casting via chromecast since all I have are Google devices. I didn't know they had a name for it, I thought you were talking about casting from the Alexa app. I will update title to reflect this.

Either way, this seems like a software issue. It should be able to stream at full rate in theory.

Last edited:
Maybe best to ask support.
When I cast to my CC audio it's always 44.1
When I cast to my wiim mini, not chromecast, it's whatever the track is.
Don't know how it works with the Pro as I assume that has both 'alexa cast' and chromecast.

Maybe best to ask support.
When I cast to my CC audio it's always 44.1
When I cast to my wiim mini, not chromecast, it's whatever the track is.
Don't know how it works with the Pro as I assume that has both 'alexa cast' and chromecast.
Yea, will do that.

When you cast to wiim mini, are you doing it from your music player app or wiim home?

I just tried streaming via AirPlay2 from my mac and it's capped too.
Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 8.34.43 PM.png

"When you cast to wiim mini, are you doing it from your music player app or wiim home?"
From within the Amazon music app.

Do you have a mini, or just the pro?
Have you 'registered' the wiim? In the wiim home app, Browse menu, Music Services, Amazon Alexa.

Do you have a mini, or just the pro?
Have you 'registered' the wiim? In the wiim home app, Browse menu, Music Services, Amazon Alexa.
I have both, but have the pro plugged in right now. I remember the mini not even showing up under Amazon Music, but it showed up on my mac for AirPlay2.

I have Amazon Music app registered, not Amazon Alexa as I don't have any alexa devices.

"I don't have any alexa devices."
Well, you do... the Wiims. ;)
Have you tried that menu in the wiim app?

Yea, I've had Amazon Music registered on that menu. I just added Amazon Alexa, so that gave me the Alexa Cast device to cast to from within Amazon Music app. It doesn't show the sample rate though, so I can't really tell if that worked without having to a/b compare. Does yours show the sample rate when casting that way?

The wiim app will show you the rate etc.
But truthfully, can you tell the difference. ;)
Just checked on the Wiim app, that seems to have done it. So chromecast and airplay2 both get capped when streaming from Amazon Music, but not with Alexa Cast. One would think Amazon is purposely limiting those to force Alexa Cast.

Anyway, really appreciate the help. Thanks so much!

AMHD is not supported on Chromecast. The limit is 16/44.1 for Amazon
Yeah, this has been posted several times here and in the audiosciencereview threads. I’d not be surprised if it’s lossy SD quality into the bargain and not lossless CD 16/44.1

Just checked on the Wiim app, that seems to have done it. So chromecast and airplay2 both get capped when streaming from Amazon Music, but not with Alexa Cast. One would think Amazon is purposely limiting those to force Alexa Cast.
it’s not that it’s capped, it’s that Amazon Music HD/UHD isn’t supported on Chromecast as per their help pages. And it’s rather a moot point re Airplay as you can’t get better than 16/44.1 and perhaps just AAC when using airplay even with AppleMusic…

Back