Playing files from mobile

mikel

Hi,

I have Samsung S20 FE with 1tb sdcard and a lot of music on it. Flac with CD and High Res quality. When I play it via Wiim app it sounds damn awesome on my hi-fi setup with Wiim Pro Plus. I was suprised that when playing Wiim player showed me full resolution even with hi res files! I thought it will be limited to 16/44.1 but it's not. Is the app tells the truth? Is it bit perfect? Is it just sending files via my WiFi to Wiim Pro Plus and Pro Plus plays it like music from NAS? I don't have external DAC to verify it on DAC's display. Anyway... sounds decent. Any toughts?

Hi,

I have Samsung S20 FE with 1tb sdcard and a lot of music on it. Flac with CD and High Res quality. When I play it via Wiim app it sounds damn awesome on my hi-fi setup with Wimm Pro Plus. I was suprised that when playing Wiim player showe me full resolution even with hi res files! I thought it will be limited to 16/44.1 but it's not. Is the app tells the truth? Is it bit perfect? Is it just sending files via my WiFi to Wiim Pro Plus and Pro Plus plays it like music from NAS?
Yes, yes, and yes.
;)

As above. Yes.
If your phone isn’t Android 10 (I don’t know whether that model is or isn’t) then it should sound better than playing it directly on your phone even if you connected the phone directly to the DAC. You are getting full resolution via the WiiM

So I can get some cheap android tablet, put 2tb sdcard with high quality flac's and have one dedicated music unit for the house. Brilliant! I'm a fan of playing local files instead of any music streaming services simply because local files sound fuller, more detailed, less edgy... better.
Once again Wiim Pro Plus suprised me. Awesome product! Get the mobile app better and for me it's an audiophile product of the decade!

So I can get some cheap android tablet, put 2tb sdcard with high quality flac's and have one dedicated music unit for the house. Brilliant!
I'm assuming you're planning to use the WiiM Home App on the tablet as the only controller in the house? If that's the case then it should work.

A more robust alternative would involve buying more hardware (anything from a Raspberry Pi and up) and having that present your music to other controllers/devices.

You could always go the tablet route first, and if you do decide to upgrade later you can still use the tablet as a controller.

I'm assuming you're planning to use the WiiM Home App on the tablet as the only controller in the house? If that's the case then it should work.

A more robust alternative would involve buying more hardware (anything from a Raspberry Pi and up) and having that present your music to other controllers/devices.

You could always go the tablet route first, and if you do decide to upgrade later you can still use the tablet as a controller.
I had raspberry pi with battery supply but its not better transport than Wiim Pro so i dont see the point.

I had raspberry pi with battery supply but its not better transport than Wiim Pro so i dont see the point.
The rpi would be used to store and index your music.
It would allow you to use a more proficient server that offered greater indexing capabilities than is available under My Music, as that looks limited to just Artist and Album, not even AlbumArtist!

Last edited:
The rpi would be used to store and index your music.
It would allow you to use a more proficient server that offered greater indexing capabilities than is available under My Music, as that looks limited to just Artist and Album, not even AlbumArtist!
I see your point now 😄 Great idea. And you are right about this rediciolous limitations on music index on Wiim itself. Could you put an example of that indexing software/system on raspberry? (Free)

I see your point now 😄 Great idea. And you are right about this rediciolous limitations on music index on Wiim itself. Could you put an example of that indexing software/system on raspberry? (Free)
If you're comfortable with installing Linux on the Pi then the free version of MinimServer will cover the basics. You could also use DietPi for the base OS then install MinimServer on top if that's easier, or even Plex, but for Plex you'd need a different controller and you're only able to use the Chromecast interface of the WiiM (which isn't gapless).

If you'd rather not go anywhere near a command line then another possibility would be to install LMS via PiCorePlayer, but this would require using a different interface to control playback.

Last edited:
If you're comfortable with installing Linux on the Pi then the free version of MinimServer will cover the basics. You could also use DietPi for the base OS then install MinimServer on top if that's easier.

If you'd rather not go anywhere near a command line then another possibility would be to install LMS via PiCorePlayer, but this would require using a different interface to control playback.
Thanks!

Back