Multiroom of hi-res audio

ccristal

Hi!
The latest roadmap for the Wiim Mini mentions "Multiroom of hi-res audio" as one of the features the @WiiM Team is thinking of supporting.
I appreciate it may not have been designed yet. However, I have a few questions about it:
  1. Is there a rough timeframe for it yet?
  2. When it gets implemented, will it require a firmware update on the slaves, as well as the master?
  3. If so, will Audio Pro speakers get such an update? I have 2 Audio Pro C3s as slaves, and their firmware has not been updated since November 2021, so getting a bit concerned they may not support hi-res multiroom, once it goes live.
Thank you for any information you may be able to share... :)

These days I think it’s hard to have a black and white analog v digital view even when it comes to playback of LPs.

My Linn MDSM/4 analogue inputs are converted to digital within the amp for Linn’s Space Optimisation and volume control, then converted back to analogue for output - even for their hallowed LP12 which some say sounds even better going through that route.

Given that I can use my Linn MDSM/4 along with the brilliant Songcorder software to record LPs at 24/192 (the Songcorder software makes it look like an Openhome receiver), I’ve recorded a handful and within the limits of my hearing, they sound like the original. Plus it saves me getting up to turn the disc over…

If you record LPs to FLAC with decent equipment playback does sound like the original vinyl copy. Only if you use sub standard equipment or apply unnecessary correction algorithms does it sound different. That said it sounds the same to the individual because of the turntable and cartridge combo that they are used to hearing.

If you record LPs to FLAC with decent equipment playback does sound like the original vinyl copy. Only if you use sub standard equipment or apply unnecessary correction algorithms does it sound different. That said it sounds the same to the individual because of the turntable and cartridge combo that they are used to hearing.
I didn't wrote about copying an album and then playing it with decent stuff. It was all about this multi-room thing and no one can tell me it does not loose the remaining rest of the sound quality!

I didn't wrote about copying an album and then playing it with decent stuff. It was all about this multi-room thing and no one can tell me it does not loose the remaining rest of the sound quality!
The fact it might be multi room makes no difference at all assuming the amp and speakers in each room are of high enough quality. It really doesn’t.

The fact it might be multi room makes no difference at all assuming the amp and speakers in each room are of high enough quality. It really doesn’t.

How would you define "high quality"? Echo Studio? Apple Homepod? Devialet Mania?
But let us stop here, we will not find together on this. Waste of our time.

@d6jg
Even with every room in a multi room environment stuffed with such a setup, no!
My issue starts earlier. The A/D can be done quite cheap. But I know all this Behringer and Thoman stuff. It simply does not fit my demand. Or using the inbuilt USBs of the bunch of alibi turntables? Even my budget TEAC with AT-VM95ML and a V90-LPS delivers so good sound quality that no, absolutely no wireless connection brings to another room.

Last edited by a moderator:
@d6jg
Even with every room in a multi room environment stuffed with such a setup, no!
My issue starts earlier. The A/D can be done quite cheap. But I know all this Behringer and Thoman stuff. It simply does not fit my demand. Or using the inbuilt USBs of the bunch of alibi turntables? Even my budget TEAC with AT-VM95ML and a V90-LPS delivers so good sound quality that no, absolutely no wireless connection brings to another room.
Try it. You will be surprised

@d6jg
There are temptations and even surprises I really do not want. Because such a constellation, a need or even a wish does simply not exist for me.
My entry in this debate started with my not-understanding the vinyl "high resolution" thing. Then it got a strange dynamic 😉.
And now for me here is really the end. All of us have their own views (or ears) on music and its reproduction. And thats good. Mine is not to use my turntable for duties where streaming is the more effective, easier and better sounding way. Good evening @all

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems multi-room high resolution audio isn't going to happen, must be a challenging to implement? If the only non-android/iOS device to play Amazon high-res 24/192 can't do multi-room for years now...

Workaround is to get a Wiim pro and connect the 24/192 coax output to multiple Wiim amps simultaneously. Turn volume control off on the Wiim pro to get "bit perfect" output on coax.

Seems multi-room high resolution audio isn't going to happen, must be a challenging to implement? If the only non-android/iOS device to play Amazon high-res 24/192 can't do multi-room for years now...

Workaround is to get a Wiim pro and connect the 24/192 coax output to multiple Wiim amps simultaneously. Turn volume control off on the Wiim pro to get "bit perfect" output on coax.
Multi room HiRes is easily possible with LMS

Back