Please add Apple music as a streaming service to the WiiM app.

Extremely difficulty to do as Apple doesn’t make its API available to all but a very select few like Tesla and I believe Sonos. Best considering an alternative streaming service if you use WiiM, or a much more expensive streamer like Eversolo which use a modified version of Android as their base so can support the native Apple Music app.

And Sonos only gets AAC 256kbps from Apple Music.
So that doesn’t even output lossless up to its usual 24/48 limit? I thought by dint of it supporting Apple Music it would at least do that. That’s pretty poor…

Edit: just had a look over on the Sonos Community Forum. So no better than Airplay 2. I wonder if Tesla are the same then?

As far as I know the only available "HighRes" on Sonos is Qobuz with 24/48 and you have to set in the Qobuz app manually.

What I today like with Sonos is a nearly unique 2nd market situation. Always to bear in mind if you purchase it and think about selling it later. The prices are very stable, at least here in Germany.
My wife is happy with her Era in the kitchen and together we are happy with the ARC soundbar for the TV. No other soundbar in this price range was superior. For our ears and needs.

What I today like with Sonos is a nearly unique 2nd market situation. Always to bear in mind if you purchase it and think about selling it later. The prices are very stable, at least here in Germany.
My wife is happy with her Era in the kitchen and together we are happy with the ARC soundbar for the TV. No other soundbar in this price range was superior. For our ears and needs.
Well, sonos certainly has the best list of media services (maybe the only one with Audible) . However, in my opinion, its control app needs some improvement. I'm looking forward to the possible release of headphones in 2024.

I really liked the CR 200 controller - nice design and function - but mine suffered the wonky screen problem. Afraid it went for recycling rubbish.

None of the alternative hardware controllers (Spin, Lutron) have really been successful, either killed off by overpricing and limited functionality.

Difficult to find these days, but the Logitech Duet Controller was/is a useful device for LMS users

Extremely difficulty to do as Apple doesn’t make its API available to all but a very select few like Tesla and I believe Sonos. Best considering an alternative streaming service if you use WiiM, or a much more expensive streamer like Eversolo which use a modified version of Android as their base so can support the native Apple Music app.
I am using WiiM pro plus in Inida. Apparently Apple music seems to be the only one currently streaming Hi-Res in India. I use Amazon Music but HD isn't available yet. Other streaming apps like Tidal, Deezer or Quobus are not available. Is there any plan to pursue Apple music or no hope?

It’s more whether Apple will allow third parties to support lossless Apple Music than it is WiiM pursuing it, and as others have confirmed/corrected what I said, even those third parties only have access to AAC.

I wonder though if you can get your hands on an old gen 1 AirPort Express and then use its optical out into your Pro Plus, you may be able to get some degree of lossless playback?

It’s more whether Apple will allow third parties to support lossless Apple Music than it is WiiM pursuing it, and as others have confirmed/corrected what I said, even those third parties only have access to AAC.

I wonder though if you can get your hands on an old gen 1 AirPort Express and then use its optical out into your Pro Plus, you may be able to get some degree of lossless playback?
That would work but only to 44.1/16 airplay (legacy) uses the realtime streaming protocol so not limited to AAC unlike Airplay2 where the app decides if to use realtime or low latency (aac) and lots seem to choose low latency as Apple push it for stability.

I would like to add another “vote” for Apple and WiiM to work together in adding native support for Apple Music. Tidal has just announced a drop in price starting in April, where you can get their highest quality for the same rate as Apple Music.

If there is no movement regarding Apple Music, I wonder how many folks will drop Apple Music and switch to Tidal? I, for one, am considering it.

I would like to add another “vote” for Apple and WiiM to work together in adding native support for Apple Music. Tidal has just announced a drop in price starting in April, where you can get their highest quality for the same rate as Apple Music.

If there is no movement regarding Apple Music, I wonder how many folks will drop Apple Music and switch to Tidal? I, for one, am considering it.
Even if you got native support for Apple Music in the WiiM app, then there’d still be the massive barrier re casting from the Apple Music app which probably would still have the same issues as now as Apple don’t seem to be pursing an actual hands off casting protocol but are relying on Airplay to deliver the stream from the cloud via your phone to your device.

Get Tidal, or even better Qobuz or Amazon Music.

I just hooked up my WiiM Pro Plus to to my Anthem AVR via toslink optical. I initially set it up via ethernet to hopefully link to my music library on my Mac Mini. But I don’t have any idea how to do that. So, I unplugged the ethernet and set It up via Wi-Fi. When I go to “My Music” my iPhone shows up and says 9,065 songs. This is about 90% of the songs I have downloaded on my Mac Mini (this certainly isn’t the number of songs downloaded on my phone, which is about 1,000 songs). So, my iPhone working as some sort of conduit apparently. Most of my music was ripped as lossless. Good news is the music is showing up on the app as playing at 16 bit 44.1 Hz.

Having said all this, looks like doing this via Airplay 2 on Wi-Fi will be fine. No need to go to go to ethernet since none of my music is above CD quality. Only gripe is about 10% of my music is not showing up on the WiiM app and some random songs are not staying in the albums. I get a bunch of straggler songs unattached if that makes sense.

My old BlueSound Vault never had this issue, every song matched what was in my iTunes library. I’m guessing because that was connected via ethernet and had access to my old iMac. I can live with the current setup, but if anyone has a link to directions to connecting the WiiM via Ethernet to my network please provide. I’m guessing signing up for Roon would achieve this, but I don’t think I want to do that for $15/month.

Visibility of your library is or at least should be independent of whether you’re using WiFi or Ethernet. Your results with My Music are perplexing as that has no idea of what is on an external device like your Mac Mini,, so I’d guess at some point you must have synced your phone with the Mac or iCloud.

To access the tracks on your Mac Mini, you should install server software like Minimserver - even with the free version that will give you visibility of your library under Home Music Share in the WiiM Home app.

Visibility of your library is or at least should be independent of whether you’re using WiFi or Ethernet. Your results with My Music are perplexing as that has no idea of what is on an external device like your Mac Mini,, so I’d guess at some point you must have synced your phone with the Mac or iCloud.

To access the tracks on your Mac Mini, you should install server software like Minimserver - even with the free version that will give you visibility of your library under Home Music Share in the WiiM Home app.
I didn’t realize I needed something like MinimServer. I downloaded it yesterday and it works great via Ethernet. Seeing all my music plus some. There is actually music I had deleted over the years showing up in the WiiM app. I guess I need to figure out how to go in and permanently delete the files. One other small gripe is I still have straggler songs that show up on their own outside the album they should be in. I’ve gone in and clicked “get info” on the song and double checked that the labeling and sorting are correct.

Back