Please tell me about Qobuz

I know here that @d6jg has provided a lot of dedicated support for their LMS.

It's also true that I'm intimidated by those posts. Perhaps LMS is too intimidating for me. 🤣😭

Well here's hoping that the gestation of Qobuz Connect isn't as extended as that of Spotify lossless. 🤞

I also ruled out Roon and LMS, in part because I didn't want another device running 24/7 but also because my own digital music library has been static for years. If there's something therein I'd like to listen to there's often a better remaster on the streaming services.

I flirted with JPlay (iOS/iPadOS) but stumbled over some glitches and couldn't justify the subscription.
Some people, although it is the minority, use LMS as a sort of gateway only with no local files whatsoever. You do need to leave it on 24/7 but a Raspbery Pi consumes very little power.

I know here that @d6jg has provided a lot of dedicated support for their LMS.

It's also true that I'm intimidated by those posts. Perhaps LMS is too intimidating for me. 🤣😭
Me, intimidating?

Seriously I use LMS because the queue management is superb and while I recognise some people get put off by the issues some others have, if you want to run it in a standard sort of way it is easy to set up. Standard these days is a Raspberry Pi with files on an attached USB stick or a NAS and preferably not ALAC.

Me, intimidating?

Seriously I use LMS because the queue management is superb and while I recognise some people get put off by the issues some others have, if you want to run it in a standard sort of way it is easy to set up. Standard these days is a Raspberry Pi with files on an attached USB stick or a NAS and preferably not ALAC.
I'm sorry, I don't mean that.

You look very kind. Never have I ever felt that you were intimidating. (I can't use English very well).

It's just that LMS felt like a very difficult piece of software for me. 😅

By the way, the Qobuz app has had a facelift a few days ago. And comparing to the tohuwabohu in the Tidal, Spotify and Amazon apps it is kind of pure relaxing for my eyes 😉😂

Some people, although it is the minority, use LMS as a sort of gateway only with no local files whatsoever. You do need to leave it on 24/7 but a Raspbery Pi consumes very little power.
I ran LMS on a Windows box 12+ years ago, with a couple of Squeezeboxen until they both died. My years are advancing, and TBH I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle again.

As a matter of interest does LMS feature the Qobuz artist bios, album write-ups, Weekly Q selection and Magazine section? That's the kind of thing I was alluding to under the "friendly and informative" heading.

I'm sorry, I don't mean that.

You look very kind. Never have I ever felt that you were intimidating. (I can't use English very well).

It's just that LMS felt like a very difficult piece of software for me. 😅
I was joking! Your English is much better than my Japanese!

I'm one of the minority. No local files, but using the Online Music Library Integration plugin puts all my Spotify and Tidal albums into My Music.

I've given up on local file storage and put my archived albums onto IBroadcast.
Fortunately, the Internet goes down less than the local power supply!

Does anyone know of any web pages or videos that explain Qobuz in detail?
I read this review avidly and became very interested in Qobuz.

This is the only video I can find. 🤔

As a matter of interest does LMS feature the Qobuz artist bios, album write-ups, Weekly Q selection and Magazine section? That's the kind of thing I was alluding to under the "friendly and informative" heading.
Not exactly.
On the face of it LMS is very much like it was 12 years ago interface wise but there are a couple of recent plugins that have transformed it. First is Material skin which is an HTML5 rewrite of the very dated default gui and will run on a mobile as well as a PC etc the second is Music & Artist Info (MAI) which adds the ability to look up bios, reviews (from AllMusic) and lyrics (various sources) on virtually anything you are playing. If you are playing something from Qobuz this also works but the source isn't Qobuz. I think you can get "goodies" but I don't worry about them.

Some screenshots.

♪ Playing Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix from Smash Hits (2010) (Qobuz • 937kbps, 16bit, 44.1kHz, -9.85dB, FLC)

The next item in the queue is from my local library. The queue is auto created for me as I work.

1699364202080.png

MAI launched from the (i) icon

1699364236332.png

Damn...I googled Japanese salutations and found "kun" as not so formal. Sorry, I failed. 😉
Thought your 10 hours ahead of Germany, but had forgotten this silly winter time. It's only 8 hours, right?

Damn...I googled Japanese salutations and found "kun" as not so formal. Sorry, I failed. 😉
Thought your 10 hours ahead of Germany, but had forgotten this silly winter time. It's only 8 hours, right?
Yes, 8 hours.
"kun" is usually used between friends, but the original meaning is "monarch (king)". Japanese is very difficult. But I'm so glad you called me "kun". 😉👍
For closer friends, use "chan" or call them by a friendly nickname.

As I understand it, the interface language for qobuz is fixed by the subscription location, eg. Spanish - Spain. English - UK. Is this the case?

Still hold my bet for or better against this nebulous Qobuz Connect coming soon 😉
Depends what you mean by soon. My hunch is that we'll see it at least in beta form on WiiM during the first quarter next year. And beta might be fine for Qobuzzers here who have been waiting for Connect.

Back