portforward and out of Lan control

Gerto

I am a proud new owner of a Wiim pro plus. I got a big garden with those classic old wired Bose green speakers all over the garden to a centralized amp and it gots it source now from a Wiin pro plus which is wired connected into my Lan. Problem is in certain parts of my garden i lack Wifi signal so was hoping to be able to control the Wiim over 4g/5g mobile data. Was kinda hoping by just forwarding certain ports to the Wiim this would work. Would anyone know which ports are utilized and has anyone tried this already? And no, putting wifi extenders is not realy an option. In my previous setup i had this working where the Wiim was a simple pc media setup and i controlled it with RDP on the phone over 4g/5g. Thx for the info

I doubt it can happen as the app requires a local connection to the network.

A web front end might work with port forwarding if you have a domain name you can point to your ip. But this has security issues, and the WiiM has no web interface.

It might be nice to control the WiiM from a browser though

Got several server services running in my Lan, security is kinda ok. Was hoping some Wiim techies might gave us some seeds on used protocols and ports :). As there is an Api available of what i read so technically it should be possible. Was so enthousiastic when i read first about the Wiim that i instantly ordered it without researching it more. Thought it would have some uPnP function nowadays so it would always work over the internet. Got my system upgraded now but got a step backwards

If you have a computer on your network that is always on then look at Tailscale. You would install on said computer in what is called subnet mode and a simple client on your phone. It works perfectly for controlling and streaming over 4g from LMS so it should work for WiiM.

The api looks like it might work for you, but you would need to build your own site / app that takes advantage of it.

If you have a computer on your network that is always on then look at Tailscale. You would install on said computer in what is called subnet mode and a simple client on your phone. It works perfectly for controlling and streaming over 4g from LMS so it should work for WiiM.

LMS doesn't depend on broadcast discovery though unlike mDNS and UPnP.

That’s true but then it won’t work with port forwarding either
Correct.

I've read a few posts about ZeroTier being better suited to this setup (layer 2) but I've never looked into it any further.

Tailscale may work then. It is built on WireGuard as (I think) is Zero Tier.

Tailscale may work then. It is built on WireGuard as (I think) is Zero Tier.
ZeroTier is a product much like TailScale. They might call TailScale zero tier given it creates a flat network, but WireGuard is only layer 3 so can't handle the broadcast traffic required of mDNS and UPnP.

Your idea sounded great, I didn't even realised it, since i got an OpenVPN running on my router already i tried it but sadly the Wiim App says no wifi available, so it must be doing a tcp broadcast call probably that is not supported under the standard VPN protocols probably like you guys mentioned earlier.

Back