Pro Plus direct into amplifier and not using a pre-amp at all

macsmith777

Is there a reason this would not work, or is not advisable? I won't be doing anything other than streaming, so why would I just not go straight to the amplifier if the volume can be controlled within the WiiM app? Is there a degradation of signal quality using the volume control on the Pro Plus?

Sorry if this is a foolish question, I'm still learning.

Is there a reason this would not work, or is not advisable? I won't be doing anything other than streaming, so why would I just not go straight to the amplifier if the volume can be controlled within the WiiM app? Is there a degradation of signal quality using the volume control on the Pro Plus?

Sorry if this is a foolish question, I'm still learning.
Yes, using the volume control will degrade the signal. But in reality, I don't think you can hear the difference.

If you want to get a bit perfect, turn on the fixed volume of the audio output and turn off the EQ.

Yes, using the volume control will degrade the signal. But in reality, I don't think you can hear the difference.

If you want to get a bit perfect, turn on the fixed volume of the audio output and turn off the EQ.
So if that is the case, and I can't really tell the difference, I could just run the a/v analog out straight to an amp (Schiit Vidar 2)? I can always add a preamp if this is not doing it for me sound wise.

Yes. However, if you connect the analog output directly to the power amplifier, pay attention to the output level. Start by setting "Line out revel" to 500mV in the audio settings section of the Wiim app. Then turn off the fixed volume and test from low volume.

As you say, you can add preamps and DACs later.

For your information.
This is the relationship between the Line out revel and SINAD in WIIM pro plus.

2 Vrms - SINAD 111.7
1 Vrms - SINAD 109.4
0.8 Vrms - SINAD 107.6
0.5 Vrms - SINAD 103.8

Quoted from the measurement of @onlyoneme.

You can also find measurements for volume and EQ in Pro here.

Post in thread 'Sound quality when using EQ or Volume Control' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/sound-quality-when-using-eq-or-volume-control.572/post-6626

Last edited:
The vidar 2 is a pure power amp, right? No volume control at all.
So if using the wiim to control the volume, be very careful not to accidentally swipe it to 100%, although maybe if the wiim is set to 0.5v output full volume might not be really, really loud.
And / or use the volume limit % setting in the wiim app.

So if that is the case, and I can't really tell the difference, I could just run the a/v analog out straight to an amp (Schiit Vidar 2)? I can always add a preamp if this is not doing it for me sound wise.
Since you're already in the Schiit ecosystem, you could just pick up a Sys ($49, or even less on the used market): https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

IMHO, volume control and equalization is best done in the analog domain. And in your case, it could save your speakers if the WiiM accidentally plays something at full blast (the audio equivalent of a power surge).

Alternatively, if you're ever thinking of using headphones, Schiit is closing out the Magni+ headphone amp/preamp for just $79: https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-plus

Last edited:
Back