Qobuz versus Tidal for WiiM Pro Plus

I would remind that Tidal has a half priced student plan. Likely a student is present on any home...
Regarding better sound quality, always from the same given streaming supplier, it's quite an urban legend, especially from when Tidal's switched to hi-res Flac, there is high probability that sound files, especially the new ones, are exactly the same delivered by Qobuz.
Said this, the functionality and connectivity of Tidal app I think are much better than Qobuz. That's the reason why I choosen Tidal.

Last edited:
Our family tier from Tidal Hifi Plus is 29.99 per month and we are four busy users. That ends around 7.50 per nose. The family majority decided they like the Tidal app more than the Qobuz app. Myself does not care about it. Jplay, the WiiM app or Tidal Connect is choice enough.

I can't compare the two, as I haven't tried Tidal, but the only contribution I can make is that an annual subscription to Qobuz works out less per month than you're currently paying for Tidal. All the hi-res music you can eat for £10.83 a month. I think the app is absolutely spot on & works beautifully.

Pro+ line out into Yamaha A-S1100 feeding Dynaudio 72SE
Prices depend on location. For eg here, Apple is the equivalent of £2, Tidal under £6, Amazon £10 and Qobuz £17.

For a single account with monthly payment the five in Germany relevant services charge:
Apple Music HD 10,99 €
Amazon Music Unlimited HD 10,99 € for Prime members
Qobuz HiFi 14,99 €
Tidal HiFi Plus 19,99 €
Spotify Premium 10,99 €
Only looking at offered resolution without any discussion about audible different sound quality Spotify and Tidal could be named as too expensive. ;-)

This thread is responsible for reviving this afternoon my Qobuz subscription ;-)
Started to look for albums which I have not found on Tidal. Successful. Reason enough. What I also likely had forgotten was the booklet option which is so nice for many classical recordings. But again for me no audible differences between the services. So even more chances to find recordings in two services.

For a single account with monthly payment the five in Germany relevant services charge:
Apple Music HD 10,99 €
Amazon Music Unlimited HD 10,99 € for Prime members
Qobuz HiFi 14,99 €
Tidal HiFi Plus 19,99 €
Spotify Premium 10,99 €
Only looking at offered resolution without any discussion about audible different sound quality Spotify and Tidal could be named as too expensive. ;-)
You made me look up the Tidal HiFi Family plan ... and I was shocked to find it's 1 € cheaper per month than Spotify Premium Familiy! 😲

This thread is responsible for reviving this afternoon my Qobuz subscription ;-)
Started to look for albums which I have not found on Tidal. Successful. Reason enough. What I also likely had forgotten was the booklet option which is so nice for many classical recordings. But again for me no audible differences between the services. So even more chances to find recordings in two services.

For me tidal is like having an aliasing filter that smooths the sound artificially (especially through tidal connect ) JPLAY and WiiM app presents the sound of Tidal in a cleaner way but not up to the level of Qobuz. Qobuz sounds really clean, hi res and balanced.

I’ve found definite gaps in the libraries of all services apart from Spotify.

Email from Tidal this morning :

Starting April 10, 2024, you will now get access to our music library in full lossless, HiRes FLAC, and Dolby Atmos sound for the same price you pay today of £12.99/month.
This is because we’re making it easier for everyone to enjoy best-in-class sound quality by combining our HiFi and HiFi Plus tiers into a single subscription tier called TIDAL.

One thing that bugs me about the Qobuz app is the way they combine very different genres in the browser i.e. blues / country / folk. It makes finding new artists more time consuming than it needs to be. I just found out from my brother-in-law that the US app has separate categories!

UK app :

Screenshot_20240306_121625_Qobuz.jpeg

US App :

IMG-20240306-WA0004.jpeg

Since getting my WiiM Pro Plus I have been using first Qobuz and now also Tidal to get the best possible sound quality when streaming. I also use the dac in the WPP. I still have a Spotify subscription also, so at the moment I can really compare all three platforms. I seem to have landed on Tidal for a decent combination of good SQ and a catalogue that fits my tastes, but one thing makes me prefer Spotify…

And that is the fact that I get Spotify controls on the lock screen of my iPhone when it is playing on my WiiM Pro Plus (via Spotify Connect). I do not seem to be able to get that very convenient functionality with either Tidal or Qobuz. How can that be? Is iPhone lock screen functionality (and dynamic island) just not supported when using Tidal Connect or streaming Qobuz from the WiiM app? I can’t see why they shouldn’t be able to, when Spotify can.

Although this feature does nothing for the sound quality, I do find myself using Spotify more because of the seamlessness having your currently playing music displayed on your phone's lock screen offers.

And that is the fact that I get Spotify controls on the lock screen of my iPhone when it is playing on my WiiM Pro Plus (via Spotify Connect). I do not seem to be able to get that very convenient functionality with either Tidal or Qobuz. How can that be? Is iPhone lock screen functionality (and dynamic island) just not supported when using Tidal Connect or streaming Qobuz from the WiiM app? I can’t see why they shouldn’t be able to, when Spotify can.

Although this feature does nothing for the sound quality, I do find myself using Spotify more because of the seamlessness having your currently playing music displayed on your phone's lock screen offers.
It's working with the Android app, so this is probably rather a question for the TIDAl team, not for the WiiM croud.

It's working with the Android app, so this is probably rather a question for the TIDAl team, not for the WiiM croud.
Does anyone else use Tidal Connect via iPhone and get play controls and album art on phone's lock screen and in the dynamic island?

Controls and album arts work perfectly on the lockscreen of my iPhone and iPad with Qobuz app. But only as long as you don't use Chromecast for streaming. When the app runs locally, e.g. if you want to listen from your iPhone via headphones, everything is fine.
Even if you stream to the WiiM Pro Plus via Apple Airplay, the lockscreen controls work as expected. Chromecast unfortunately has some bad limitations that will hopefully no longer exist with the announced Qobuz Connect.

I have Amazon Music now, but I cannot save to favorite or playlist within Wiim Home. I can do that with Qobuz. 1 month free trial :=) Anyone knows if I can do that with Tidal. Besides Qobuz/Tidal, any other suggestions for HiRes?

Seriously thinking about ditching Amazon. Need to spend more time comparing, but Qobuz seems to sound better??!!

I have Amazon Music now, but I cannot save to favorite or playlist within Wiim Home. I can do that with Qobuz. 1 month free trial :=) Anyone knows if I can do that with Tidal. Besides Qobuz/Tidal, any other suggestions for HiRes?

Seriously thinking about ditching Amazon. Need to spend more time comparing, but Qobuz seems to sound better??!!
You can 'Add to my music' (and remove again) within the wiim app when playing tidal.
The main now playing wiim screen doesn't show you if it's alreay added.
You have to press the 3 dot menu to do this - still not available directly on the main screen!

Why not use amazon music app or tidal connect though?

Back