Show us your Amp setup!

If the WiiM app is to be trusted ;), WiiM Amp correctly recognizes 48 vs. 96 vs. 192kHz files, and 16 vs. 24-bit. To be honest, WiiM Amp is a relative budget device and ability to discern sound quality difference between CD quality & hi-res will be limited, even if one's ears could really hear the difference anyway even with higher-end gear. It's nice to see see 96kHz, 192kHz, 24-bit light up in the app though :p.

In seriousness, when I listen to SACD ripped files in my home theater set-up, using a Dune HD media player, an Onkyo RZ50 and Polk R700's, I can tell the sound quality is richer, with more depth, and with ability to hear subtle sound effects (especially with multichannel).

However, none of the WiiM's I've tried to date (Mini, Pro Plus, Amp) support native SACD DSF or DFF files. Had to convert them to FLAC. Also, WiiM has trouble with multichannel FLAC, so I keep separate 2.0 and 5.1/7.1 versions of albums that have multichannel.
May i ask what bitrate a cd has?
Is that 1600 kbps? 16 bit.?
What is Spotify i dont see the bitrate..
320 Kbps..16 bit?
Edit i see the bitrate of Spotify now.
320 kbps 16 bit.

So if you rip a cd you should constantly see:
1600 kbps 16 bit in each track?

One wonders..
A audio takes much lesser space then a video file( Netflix).
Why doesn't Spotify make the choice for cd files?
Is that a strange question?

Last edited:
The term VBR is tied to lossy codecs for most people, so I wouldn't actively use it with FLAC.

FLAC is lossless, but compressed. How much compression is possible depends on the actual musical content.

A constant bitrate is only possible with either no compression or accepting losses.

The data structure on a "Red Book" audio CD is different from what's stored in computer filesystems. Any ripping software is free to store that data in any convenient file format, there is no inherent limitation or "natural equivalent" of what's on the CD.

In practice I think that most if not all Windows based rippers usually save the audio data as .wav files before (optionally) handing the task of compression over to external encoders.

PS:
We are way off topic here ... sorry.

Last edited:
The data structure on a "Red Book" audio CD is different from what's stored in computer filesystems. Any ripping software is free to store that data in any convenient file format, there is no inherent limitation or "natural equivalent" of what's on the CD.

In practice I think that most if not all Windows based rippers usually save the audio data as .wav files before (optionally) handling the task of compression to another program.

PS:
We are way off topic here ... sorry.
Thanks for all the help Yes We are off topic here sorry.😌😌
Won't happen again.

Hello from Seattle area. Used the WiiM amp for a few weeks now. I find bluetooth input terrible (not WiiM issue), USB sub-par and wi-fi for Amazon music ultraHD the best so far. Not tried turntable or CD transport direct attach yet. App is awesome. WiiM amp has a good overall sound and obviously well worth the money.
I have Monitor Audio Bronze 100's and an SVS PB1000pro. Ignore turntable, pos audio technica thing bought for ripping LP's that's headed for the bin.
My wife's contribution is the plant, obvious improvement with absorption and diffusion characteristics ;-)
Happy listening, cheers, John
hi-fi.jpgView attachment 5323

How big is the difference in sound ? Wiim vs HyperX monoblocks?
To be honest, I don't hear much of a difference. Perhaps it's because I don't really believe in differences between amps that measure well, or my ears are not good enough anymore :). My Hypex DIY amps were of course very straightforward without any options other than XLR inputs. I do however like the WIIM app to play Tidal without having to turn the TV on.

To be honest, I don't hear much of a difference. Perhaps it's because I don't really believe in differences between amps that measure well, or my ears are not good enough anymore :). My Hypex DIY amps were of course very straightforward without any options other than XLR inputs. I do however like the WIIM app to play Tidal without having to turn the TV on.
Yes, yes... my anoalog stereo sounded a little better, but the WiiM Amp is more fun, has options I didn't have with the old system, and most importantly - the speakers make the sound, and I kept those :)

The reason for me to have my a little bit pricier analog only amp is another brick which is absolutely not rational. It has to do most likely with dreams from before which can be afforded today. Surely a modern budget amp with well chosen speakers will do equally good and gives me no chance to detect even a slight audible difference. Personal preference is also optical understatement ;-)

Hello from Seattle area. Used the WiiM amp for a few weeks now. I find bluetooth input terrible (not WiiM issue), USB sub-par and wi-fi for Amazon music ultraHD the best so far. Not tried turntable or CD transport direct attach yet. App is awesome. WiiM amp has a good overall sound and obviously well worth the money.
I have Monitor Audio Bronze 100's and an SVS PB1000pro. Ignore turntable, pos audio technica thing bought for ripping LP's that's headed for the bin.
My wife's contribution is the plant, obvious improvement with absorption and diffusion characteristics ;-)
Happy listening, cheers, John
View attachment 5324View attachment 5323
Very nice! I'd love some Monitor Audio Bronze speakers, partly because MA HQ is just 10 miles from where I live!

Thoughts for the collective (but I realise it's difficult to answer as subjective): my living area is an awkward (for audio) L-shape & my current setup is midway along 1 'long' wall. Area is about 140 square feet / 15 square meters, so small. Current system is Denon UD-M3 all-in-one box (the 'original' from 1990s, from which M-series derived up to current M41) with matching bookshelf speakers (branded Denon but actually Mission). It still works sonically but some faults (volume control, CD tray) so may fail soon.

Looking to get Wiim Amp & could pair with existing Mission speakers, but bundled offers include Q Acoustics 3000i (+£140), Q Acoustics 3020i (+£150), Dali Spektor 2 (+£150), ELAC Debut B5.2 (+£156), Acoustic Energy AE100 MK2 (+£156), KEF Q150 (+£200), Monitor Audio Bronze 50 (+£323). From these, does any option stand out to others as 'ideal' for me & upgrade from current speakers? Would room size & shape not allow MA Bronze to work best, so poor value? Note: I think I prefer bright & precise over warmth, if that makes sense.

One thing slightly putting me off the Amp is lack of headphones socket, but is there a 'hack' for this?

Many thanks

...lack of headphones socket, but is there a 'hack' for this?
Welcome!

If you want wired headphones then no.
If bluetooth is ok then yes, although note that some people are still experiencing some connection / stutter issues this way.

I'd love some Monitor Audio Bronze speakers
Seems you've already answered your own question ;)
They are twice the price of most of the others you mention. Are they twice as good, or even just significantly better enough to warrant the extra outlay?
tbh, I've no idea!

Last edited:
One thing slightly putting me off the Amp is lack of headphones socket, but is there a 'hack' for this?
One glimmer of hope is a USB output feature the WiiM folks are working on right now. Should then be able to connect to a small amp or dac/amp for headphones. Waiting for that myself as I've found BT noticeably lower quality. Got my eyes on a FiiO K11 and Sennheiser HD560s already ordered at a great price. I'll have to stop buying stuff soon.
No timing on availability but late Feb was suggested at one time so can't be that far away. The WiiM folks are absolutely amazing at getting updates out so keep your eyes peeled.

Back